Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-24-2020, 03:21 PM   #1
deadlybullets
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper not detecting my Roland TD-15 kit

Hey guys!

I've been dealing with reaper for a few months now and learning the ropes but I'm still a noobie. Anyways, I've been able to record my drums for a bit now without any problems. Well just last week when I went to record my drums, I noticed that reaper wasnt even detecting my drums at all.

When I first open up reaper, I "insert virtual instrument", select addictive drums 2 as my plugin, select yes when the "build routing confirmation" page pops up but when I go to play, It's not noticing my drums at all.

Not to sure where to go from here. Any suggestions would be great
deadlybullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:24 PM   #2
ADesroches

I may not be giving you the best advice as I'm a noobie too, but did you recently move the addicive drums 2 file on your computer? If you did move it, you may need to give Reaper the path to where it is now located.

Under options, click preferences. Then under Plug-ins, select VST. On the right side of the window, at the top, you can add a new path to where the .dll file for addictive drums is located on your computer.

Just a thought, sorry if this isn't the solution to your problem.
ADesroches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:59 AM   #3
ivansc

If you are plugging your kit in with a straight USB cable, you will need to set up the MIDI device and enable it.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
deadlybullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADesroches View Post
I may not be giving you the best advice as I'm a noobie too, but did you recently move the addicive drums 2 file on your computer? If you did move it, you may need to give Reaper the path to where it is now located.

Under options, click preferences. Then under Plug-ins, select VST. On the right side of the window, at the top, you can add a new path to where the .dll file for addictive drums is located on your computer.

Just a thought, sorry if this isn't the solution to your problem.
Just gave it a shot and that’s a no go unfortunately but thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-25-2020, 07:55 PM   #5
deadlybullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
If you are plugging your kit in with a straight USB cable, you will need to set up the MIDI device and enable it.
It’s enabled but unfortunately it’s still not working. I actually just noticed that reaper won’t even record for me or play media. So I updated it to the latest version but it’s still not working properly. I honestly have no idea what’s wrong with it
Old 01-26-2020, 02:41 AM   #6
ivansc

Sounds like you need to take a step back & check the basics.

First step in cases like this is always download & run resplendence.com`s latency checker. It will highlight any problems you might have recording multitrack audio/MIDI.
Once you have got that checked & resolved any issues, we can look at the rest of it.

What are you using as a recording interface?

Assuming you are using a "proper" interface & not a built in sound card, make sure you are using the ASIO driver that comes with the interface.

In reaper, check in the Options/Preferences/ menu that you have the interface showing and that you have all ins and outs selected. Also check the same stuff on the MIDI ins and outs.

Insert the AD2 vsti but DONT get it to produce nultiple tracks, just a stereo pair.

Record arm the track with the AD2 on it and make sure record monitoring is either ON or on AUTO.
When you hit your kit, you should at the very least see a thin red line jump up and down in the track meter. This means Reaper is receiving MIDI from your kit.
You should of course also see actual signal entering in the form of a larger, wider green (typically) meter movement.

If you do not have signal from your kit showing at all, there is a problem with your settings for the kit`s MIDI device.

I use a TD8 which only has 5-pin DIN connectors for MIDI, so I bring the kit in on one of my interface`s MIDI I/O connectors. But I also use a Korg Nanopad that shows up with its own MIDI driver. You should be able to see your TD15 in the list of MIDI devices & simply set it as enabled.

It does sound like you already had all this working before, so we may be looking at something new & different but at least if you carefully check all the above we have a base line.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
deadlybullets

So this is extremely odd. I was working on reaper yesterday trying to figure out whats wrong with it but I couldn't figure it out so i took a break and put my laptop to sleep without closing reaper. Came back to it this morning and i was able to play tracks, record and reaper was detecting my drums. So I thought well lets close it and reopen it. Unfortunately it has stopped working again. I honestly have no idea whats going on

Edity: So basically sometimes it detects my drums and sometimes it doesnt. When it does, sometimes sounds will be produced through reaper and sometimes their wont be any and I cant seem to get the sounds to come out of my Behringer UMC22 audio interface

Last edited by deadlybullets; 01-26-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:42 AM   #8
ivansc

worth checking all your cables and USB/jack/etc sockets are OK. USB is a particular pita as the more you use them, the sloppier fit they are. I have 6 on my main computer & two of them are feeling their age already.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #9
Philbo King

While some have good luck using USB midi, I don't use it because it provides a pathway to obsolesence. One minor OS update can cause the instrument USB driver to become nonfunctional, and if the manufacturer doesn't, can't or won't spend money and time on a new driver release, your hardware becomes useless.

So, only 5 pin MIDI for me, thanks...