Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-25-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
Powermac
Human being with feelings

Default So I'd like to have my Waves pluins on two computers,but...

I just purchased a desktop to use at home exclusively for Reaper/music production. I also have a laptop (portable) that I use for tracking at the bands rehearsal room/studio.

I had some time and decided to start downloading all of my Waves plugins to the new desktop. The license keys I kept didn't work. Did some research and it sounds like I can't have two computers operating the Waves plugins that I paid about $1000 for.

By the way, I didn't assume I could use a purchased license on two computers. I was told by my Sweetwater rep that a purchase gave me two downloads. Pretty upset.

Anyway, does anyone know a way around this???

I know you can download the key to a flash drive, but that seems counterintuitive when your now running your plugins on an external drive.
Powermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:33 PM   #2
ivansc

You need to do more research. Waves currently allows you to keep your licences on a USB memory stick as well.
I stress that ONLY the licences are kept on the USB stick. You can install the plugins on both of your computers & the key will enable them when you put it in either machine.
That way you can have the plugins on multiple devices but only use them on one device at a time with the USB drive acting as a sort of licence key.
I have had my desktop & laptop set up that way for years. Especially now with waves central it is dead easy to arrange. Just sort yourself out a little USB drive & follow the instructions on the waves site to add it.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
Powermac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
You need to do more research. Waves currently allows you to keep your licences on a USB memory stick as well.
I stress that ONLY the licences are kept on the USB stick. You can install the plugins on both of your computers & the key will enable them when you put it in either machine.
That way you can have the plugins on multiple devices but only use them on one device at a time with the USB drive acting as a sort of licence key.
I have had my desktop & laptop set up that way for years. Especially now with waves central it is dead easy to arrange. Just sort yourself out a little USB drive & follow the instructions on the waves site to add it.
I'm definitely ignorant on the subject which is why I came here. Forgive me, I'm not a big computer guy. I watched a video on it and must have misunderstood. Will go back and watch again. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:17 AM   #4
ivansc

No problem. Most of us Really Clever People Who Know Everything learned what we know by making all the same mistakes ourselves - we just got help from the earlier generation of RCPWKE folks. Prime example of "pass it forward" actually working

If you cant figure it out from the instructions on Waves site, get back on here & I will go revisit it to remind me of how I did it several years ago.

EDIT: Here it is, from yet ANOTHER waves sucks thread I just commented in....
https://www.waves.com/support/move-licenses

Last edited by ivansc; 01-26-2020 at 07:11 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:52 PM   #5
Powermac

Quote:
No problem. Most of us Really Clever People Who Know Everything learned what we know by making all the same mistakes ourselves - we just got help from the earlier generation of RCPWKE folks. Prime example of "pass it forward" actually working

If you cant figure it out from the instructions on Waves site, get back on here & I will go revisit it to remind me of how I did it several years ago.

EDIT: Here it is, from yet ANOTHER waves sucks thread I just commented in....
https://www.waves.com/support/move-licenses
I actually love Waves products. While I have quite a few of their plugins, I use the schepps Omni channel on almost every track. The compressor is very good and I use it a lot more than I do my Fabfilter Pro C.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I've downloaded all of the Waves plugins to the new computer (via Waves central). Still having an issue getting Reaper to recognize them, but I see them in the download file. I did have two of the plugins show up in Reaper (Torque & Smack attack), but after doing a "clear cache/re-scan" they disappeared. Did a re-scan and also tried to manually put them in (edit), but no luck yet.

Edit: Since the two plugins showed up in Reaper (see above) I'm assuming that the actual download to the new computer should work without the licenses? Planned on getting the USB drive for that this week. I don't mean that they would operate, just show up in the plugin menu. Again, the main drive shows the plugins are there.

Last edited by Powermac; 01-26-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
Pinknoise

You also have the option to send licenses to the cloud in Waves central. From the cloud, in Waves central on second computer, you can activate your plugins.

Send back to the cloud when finished so you can activate on other computer.

A bit more of a hassle than the usb key but no physical components needed.

I think if you lose the usb key with licences on it, to get them working again, OSIT, you need to contact support wich in my experience was good.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:59 PM   #7
Powermac

Quote:
I was getting ready to download the licenses to a USB stick and it dawned on me that I don't have enough USB ports to use on my laptop. I have 3. One goes to my interface, another to my external SSD (where all the music is), and 1 for my mouse. The only additional port is an HDMI which doesn't do any good in this scenario.

Does the USB key have to remain in the computer? I just can't think of a way around this if not.

Edit: I really can't use the cloud since our studio is crazy insulated and it's very tough to get an internet connection.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #8
Powermac

Now that I think about it I guess I could use a USB hub, but I've heard those are slow. Thoughts?
Old 01-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #9
TC7

jeezzzz...

buy a usb hub!
TC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:15 PM   #10
Powermac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC7 View Post
jeezzzz...

buy a usb hub!
Man, I'm honestly asking a question that I'm not sure of. As I mentioned above I'm a musician, and am not a computer guy. Why is it a big deal to ask these questions? I thought this forum was for asking these things and learning. Not for getting a smart ass comment.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:37 PM   #11
rainydayshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermac View Post
Now that I think about it I guess I could use a USB hub, but I've heard those are slow. Thoughts?
Generally speaking, yes. A hub is going to be slower than the dedicated port on the computer. Whether or not it will be noticeably slower depends on what you are connecting to it (Hard Disk Drives, Audio Interface, etc. are generally going to need a powered hub and will be objectively slower, while Keyboard/Mouse, flash drive used as license key, etc. will probably be fine).

So in your use case, buy a 3-4 port portable USB hub and use it for your License Key Flash Drive and Mouse. This will leave you an additional port or two for a keyboard or something non-critical (speed-wise).

Last edited by rainydayshirts; 01-29-2020 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Additional information/clarification
rainydayshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:19 AM   #12
ivansc

Its better if you use a powered USB hub whenever possible, too. Glad to see you are getting there! Attaboy.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:29 PM   #13
Powermac

Thanks for your patience, guys. Really appreciate it. Off to look at USB hubs.