Old 01-24-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
SebyMusic
Human being with feelings

Default Speaker Loudness calibration Pink Noise

Hi, I was searching for the method to use in reaper to calibrate my monitor level using pink noise and probably an app.
But i'm looking for steps in details. Where to put vu level, at what I should put it, what level I should meter on the app, etc, Really the full way of doing it right.

tks
Seby
SebyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #2
DVDouglas
Banned

The first task when configuring studio monitors is to decide where to put them. When you place the speakers, it is easy to get into details such as supports and insulation. If you look at the amount of speaker stands, insulation boards, acoustic foams, and other products that are sold as miracle cures to avoid poor monitoring, you will come to think that all that is essential. But unfortunately, these products distract you from the important.
DVDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #3
SebyMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDouglas View Post
The first task when configuring studio monitors is to decide where to put them. When you place the speakers, it is easy to get into details such as supports and insulation. If you look at the amount of speaker stands, insulation boards, acoustic foams, and other products that are sold as miracle cures to avoid poor monitoring, you will come to think that all that is essential. But unfortunately, these products distract you from the important.
tks, they are place correctly with insulation. My question was more about level of the speaker and the steps to calibrate them.
1-
2-
3-
4-
etc....

tks
Seby
Old 01-24-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
RJHollins

I've been using an iPhone app to measure SPL.

It is close to my Sound Pressure Meter.

Use Slow, C-weighted, with a trusted PINK noise file or generator.
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:58 PM   #5
ashcat_lt

You've got to pick your headroom target and your average spl target. There are any number of people who will give you any number of answers on what is right. Bob Katz has that K system and I think it's pretty decent rule of thumb. Since I mix mostly music, and prefer things just a bit louder overall, I have my music machine calibrated to -14dbFS ~ 85dbSPL. But then my "living room machine" which is in the same room connected to the same system is for watching movies and stuff and I calibrated that so that -23dbFS ~ 85dbSPL, and listening to music on the living room machine is almost dangerous...

Put the meter as close to where your head is going to be as possible, pointed dead center between the monitors - probably at your computer screen. There's a JS Pink Noise generator. Crank it up until the Master RMS meter reads at your headroom target. Then adjust whatever is responsible for the level of your monitors in the analog world until the meter reads your average spl target.

But then crank it up in Reaper and see if whatever you've got on the analog side starts to peak/clip/overdrive/distort before Reaper's peak meter hits 0dbFS. It would be nice to have at least a decibel after your DAC tops out. Preferably 6. If you can't get that, you've chosen too high an SPL target or too small amp/monitors.

In order to tell you which knobs you should turn in the analog world, I'd need to know what knobs you've got available.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:30 AM   #6
SebyMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
You've got to pick your headroom target and your average spl target. There are any number of people who will give you any number of answers on what is right. Bob Katz has that K system and I think it's pretty decent rule of thumb. Since I mix mostly music, and prefer things just a bit louder overall, I have my music machine calibrated to -14dbFS ~ 85dbSPL. But then my "living room machine" which is in the same room connected to the same system is for watching movies and stuff and I calibrated that so that -23dbFS ~ 85dbSPL, and listening to music on the living room machine is almost dangerous...

Put the meter as close to where your head is going to be as possible, pointed dead center between the monitors - probably at your computer screen. There's a JS Pink Noise generator. Crank it up until the Master RMS meter reads at your headroom target. Then adjust whatever is responsible for the level of your monitors in the analog world until the meter reads your average spl target.

But then crank it up in Reaper and see if whatever you've got on the analog side starts to peak/clip/overdrive/distort before Reaper's peak meter hits 0dbFS. It would be nice to have at least a decibel after your DAC tops out. Preferably 6. If you can't get that, you've chosen too high an SPL target or too small amp/monitors.

In order to tell you which knobs you should turn in the analog world, I'd need to know what knobs you've got available.

Hi, ok, I think you lost me lol.
I really need steps cause I don't know the metering terms .. I'm new to all this.
What I mean

1- Open project
2- Create Empty track
3- put fader level to default position
4- Put Master fader to default position.
5- Insert JS pink noise on track.
6- NOW WHAT.
How to setup the plugin correctly.
What metering plugin on master track to have the right output before even cranking up the speakers
How to setup that plugin in the master section.
After that, what is a GOOD Android SPL meter APP.
How to set it up correctly
Then I crank the speaker L first then right at probably 80-82. but 80, 82 what?
Then both together, but I should get what level Together.
etc..

See what I mean?
Also, I have a sub woofer. Should I put it down for the metering test?
tks

Seby
Old 01-27-2020, 07:06 AM   #7
SebyMusic

Nobody knows how to proceed in reaper please?
Seby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebyMusic View Post
Hi, ok, I think you lost me lol.
I really need steps cause I don't know the metering terms .. I'm new to all this.
What I mean

1- Open project
2- Create Empty track
3- put fader level to default position
4- Put Master fader to default position.
5- Insert JS pink noise on track.
6- NOW WHAT.
How to setup the plugin correctly.
What metering plugin on master track to have the right output before even cranking up the speakers
How to setup that plugin in the master section.
After that, what is a GOOD Android SPL meter APP.
How to set it up correctly
Then I crank the speaker L first then right at probably 80-82. but 80, 82 what?
Then both together, but I should get what level Together.
etc..

See what I mean?
Also, I have a sub woofer. Should I put it down for the metering test?
tks

Seby
Old 01-28-2020, 07:29 AM   #8
Philbo King

Make sure all controls and faders that affect speaker output level are at a known reference point and write down those levels (mix console monitor faders, audio interface control sliders/knobs both physical and in software control programs, speaker level controls, etc.) Since setups vary so much it is impossible to cover every possible setup with a simple step by step procedure. You need to understand your particular setup.

How I do it:
Put JS Pink noise generator on a track in a new project.

Set the pink noise level to read -10 dB RMS on your master track meter. (if your master track meter shows both RMS and peak, it's the smaller number)

Note - it only generates pink noise while in Play mode. I usually set up a loop in Reaper to keep the noise running. It also keeps running for 5 sec after pressing Stop for some reason.

Make sure you hear the noise.

Set the level on your speakers so your sound level meter reads 74 dB for both speakers, or 71 dB for one speaker. I usuualy set it using one speaker at a time to ensure both channels have the same level.

Notes:
1) -10 dBFS (in the PC) causing 74 dBSPL (actual sound level) saves your speakers and ears, and when the level out of you PC is 0 dBFS (10 dB higher), your sound level will also be 10 dB higher, or 84 dB SPL.

2) 2 speakers running at once gives you 3 dB more level than one speaker (for uncorrelated sound like pink noise). This is why you set each single speaker to 71 dB SPL, so when both are running you get a total of 74 dB SPL.

This sets 0 dBFS out to 84 dB SPL.

Many choose a different reference level for their own reasons. One possibility is 84 dB for -14 LUFS, for example.
But this will get you in the ballpark.

Last edited by Philbo King; 01-28-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:28 AM   #9
RobU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebyMusic View Post
Nobody knows how to proceed in reaper please?
Seby
Here's a 'nuts n bolts' description of setting up the K system for monitoring - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mast...s-n-bolts.html

Works in Reaper (as with any DAW...).

One thing I would say, 83dB SPL is LOUD in a small room, you might have to aim for a lower SPL. At home, 79 is about right for my room, so you'll need to experiment a little.