Old 01-24-2020, 02:44 AM   #1
buckman
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper - Recorded Audio in projects?

So I come from recording into an editor firstly to trim the unwanted 'fat' to say a loop, then import into my DAW (Reaper).

Now that v6.0 is here, and good it looks too, apologies if this is old ground, but can I just ask about audio recording and cleaning in Reaper and its way of doing things?

I know for a start, that Reaper is non-destructive, which is great.

But.. if I record say 3 minutes of audio but only need say a 4 second drum loop, I trim and cut to that loop, but the full 3 minutes of audio is still on the drive.

If i do this a lot with lots of recordings using small loops and samples, then save and 'clean current project directory' the 3 minutes of audio is still part of the audio loop thats used and on screen, even though its hidden and 'not used'

To clean up anything that is not on the screen being used, do you have to go through every audio file and 'glue it'? This seems a long process, to then use the 'clean current project directory' to get rid of everything?

Is this right, or am I doing it wrong and there is an easier way?

I suppose what I am asking is, once you have your song/project finished, is there a way to clean up any unused audio thats not on screen (and therefore not being used) by getting them all to trim to whats being used on screen and deleting the superfluous audio recorded thats 'dead' either side?

Hope that makes some sense?
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #2
Goldreap

The following is a bit convoluted, but probably quicker than going through the project gluing every little thing.

File> Consolidate/Export tracks> select 'Entire project'.
Set 'ignore silence shorter than' to zero...this will keep all your small items as individual files/items (if that's what you want).
Output files to your project directory (default setting I think).
Make sure 'Update project with consolidated files' is selected.
Process.

Then go into your project folder on your hard drive and delete all wav files that don't have 'consolidated' in the name. After doing that you won't be able to undo the consolidation, so if that's a worry put aside a copy of your original project folder first until you're sure everything works.
Open project...it's fine.

Last edited by Goldreap; 01-24-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
serr

The way to "go with the wind" in Reaper is to cleanup and archive the project at the end. Don't spend time during production fussing about extraneous audio files.

At the end after any unused audio items have been deleted, do a 'save as' with a new name. Make a new folder and tick the box for copy media files. The new folder will be the project with only the audio used. Verify and then delete the old folder.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
LugNut

Hi,
What about using glue..saving..then clean? Unless I misunderstand.

Edit..should have read better..sorry.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #5
SonicAxiom

Breeder's "glue tool" might help: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=160061

it glues multiple trimmed media files like loops to their actual length at once (incl. fades, if desired) while keeping every item separate. Afterwards, the original source media files appear in the project media cleanup window.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:33 AM   #6
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The way to "go with the wind" in Reaper is to cleanup and archive the project at the end. Don't spend time during production fussing about extraneous audio files.

At the end after any unused audio items have been deleted, do a 'save as' with a new name. Make a new folder and tick the box for copy media files. The new folder will be the project with only the audio used. Verify and then delete the old folder.
Thanks for the advice, so basically copy to a new project folder, and it will only move across what is on screen?
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:20 AM   #7
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Thanks for the advice, so basically copy to a new project folder, and it will only move across what is on screen?
That won't work for what you want to do because (without gluing/rendering) the audio in your project folder will be just the source (not all the bits that use it) and that source is all that will be moved/copied.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote