Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #1
Metalcountry
Human being with feelings

Default Editing Media Tracks when not connected to Interface

I'm a new user and have successfully recorded several tracks.
I would now like to work on those recorded tracks without being connected to my interface (focusrite)

If I open Reaper without being connected to the interface I get an error message stating

There was an error opening the audio hardware:

Error initializing ASIO driver

Do I always need to be connected to the interface, even if I'm not planning to record anything during the session?
Metalcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
Stella645

The ASIO driver is presumably the one that works with your interface so if the interface is not connected you can't use that driver.

WASAPI or the ASIO4all driver will work with your built in audio. Maybe direct sound but latency would be awful.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #3
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcountry View Post
I would now like to work on those recorded tracks without being connected to my interface (focusrite)

Do I always need to be connected to the interface, even if I'm not planning to record anything during the session?
You don't need to be connected to the interface if you aren't going to be sending/receiving any information to/from it.

I often don't turn on my interface if I am just editing MIDI data or moving items around. But if I want to play it to hear the changes I made, then I need to turn the interface on.

So whether you need the interface on depends on what you are planning to do.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
Metalcountry

Default Editing Media Tracks when not connected to Interface

For me, if the interface is not plugged in, or plugged in and not turned on, I get the error message.
It seems I have to have the interface plugged into my laptop and turned on to work. Even if I'm just editing tracks, moving items around etc.

Once everything is recorded, I'd like to be able to take my laptop with me and work with the tracks when I'm away from my interface.

Any suggestions?
Metalcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #5
lunker

Quote:
For me, if the interface is not plugged in, or plugged in and not turned on, I get the error message.

It seems I have to have the interface plugged into my laptop and turned on to work. Even if I'm just editing tracks, moving items around etc.
If you want to continue without connecting the interface, just click "Close" and optionally check the box for "Do not show this window again".

I don't have any problems moving items around or otherwise editing a project when not connected to an audio interface. (but see the comments below!)

Quote:
Once everything is recorded, I'd like to be able to take my laptop with me and work with the tracks when I'm away from my interface.

Any suggestions?
It depends on what you mean by "work with the tracks". Like I said above, moving items, changing faders, etc. is possible when you are not connected to an audio interface.

However, if you want to hear the changes you are making ... well, you need some type of audio interface/soundcard for that. You can go into the "Audio > Device" preferences and select the built-in soundcard on the laptop using WASAPI, DirectSound, WaveOut, or whatever (as Stella645 suggested) until you have your interface available. The quality/performance of the built-in soundcard won't be as good as a pro interface, but if you really want to play the project without your focusrite, you'll have to use whatever is available.

Last edited by lunker; 01-23-2020 at 07:23 PM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:02 AM   #6
Stella645

Quote:

Any suggestions?
I suggest you tell us why/how/if the suggestions already given didn't work??
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote