Old 03-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
joesh
Human being with feelings

Default Sound, but no picture!

Hi, can anyone suggest why I'm not getting any picture/image in the video window when loading up a media file (yet I'm getting sound which seems to load correctly in the DAW)? I should add that I'm using a Windows PC (I think it's Windows 10), and, I had it running fine last year (we're a school).

Here's a few things that might be useful to know:
- I've checked that both VLC and Reaper are 64 bit.
- I tried changing down to VLC 2.2.. from 3.0.1 (both 64 bit), but no change.
- I tried downloading and placing the suggested folder for FFMPEG libraries as mentioned here: (https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Video_Support). You'll also notice that they suggest you use VLC 3.0.3, contrary to many on this forum.
- I also tried loading up VLC 3.0.3 (64 bit) as suggested in the Wiki.cockos page.
- I lastly checked in Preferences > video/REX/misc > Available decoder information, that everything seemed in order, which it was (unless I haven't noticed something).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I have a big film project to do with the students starting next week. As I said, this worked fine before, so I'm a little bit lost on where the problem could be.

Thanks in advance.
joesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:28 AM   #2
Winfield

Default Just to rule it out..

Is the videos in this example working?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xx_...ew?usp=sharing
(it's from the userguide page 398)

-W
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:41 AM   #3
joesh

Hi Winfield, thanks. Keep your eye open for a reply on Monday morning (I'm in Europe) when the school is open. I'll try it out and let you know.

However, since I've had it working before they're shouldn't be a problem. I notice you have .mov files, whereas I've been using .mpeg4 beforehand. I tried the films on the teacher's computer and everything worked fine - and its normally the same system as the pupils (I think). So, I'll be curious to try the difference between .mov and the .mpeg.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
joesh

I thought I'd reply to my own post, since I've found the solution to the problem today.

It seems that under the preferences section (Preferences > video/REX/misc) you will notice the output format can be changed. On changing this from the 'default' setting "Direct Show EVR (Recommended)" to another, in this case "Direct Show EVR - YUY2" everything worked fine again.

I hope this may be of use to someone in the future.