Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #1
jwcolby54
Human being with feelings

Default Installed focusrite drivers, all hell broke loose

I have a rev2 focusrite which appparently can't use modern usb ports (brand new laptop). Sigh.

The laptop recognized the device without the driver but once installed, now focusrite simply refuses to work.

So I uninstalled but now I cannot find my laptop built-in audio in reaper. It works just fine for things like YouTube. I select ASIO4All v2 but all I can see is Audio Output with Hap1 / 2. No sound plays etc. I am trying to use an mp3 which imports and the audio meters say it is playing (in reaper) but no sound out.

Can you tell I'm a nube?

Any help much appreciated.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:34 PM   #2
dea-man

What do you mean by the phrase "can't use modern usb ports (brand new laptop)"?
Old 01-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #3
jwcolby54

Default Focusrite problems

I get hardware not connected from the Scarlett audio interface. I got on chat with FocusRite support who essentially threw up their hands. It seems that the version 3 hardware does support usb 3.x but v2 and previous do not. See link below.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...are-Connected-

I am resigned to my focusrite interfaces not working with my laptop, although they worked perfectly with my Dell AllInOne which has usb 2x interfaces. My laptop is brand new and it had USB 3.x. Not much I can do about that sadly. Maybe I could attach a USB hub... haven't tried that yet.

The laptop also has a USB C port. However trying to find a cable or adapter that interfaces USB C to that odd USB "printer" connector is problematic.

For now all I really care about is getting Reaper using the laptop's built in sound again. It has in the past, and so I assume will again.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #4
dea-man

USB 3 is backwards compatible with USB 2. Does it not have a USB 2 port?

Of course, it will only run at USB 2 speed but are you saying the interface is not compatible?

I must be missing or misunderstanding something.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:46 AM   #5
sneazzy95

In my opinion, as long as it is the same inputs / ports that poses no problem.

Last edited by sneazzy95; 12-17-2020 at 07:10 AM.
sneazzy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #6
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
USB 3 is backwards compatible with USB 2. Does it not have a USB 2 port?

Of course, it will only run at USB 2 speed but are you saying the interface is not compatible?

I must be missing or misunderstanding something.
It's a very common problem.....lots of audio devices not working properly on some computers USB3 ports.
Even my MOTU 8A which is sold as a USB3 device not working....thankfully I have USB2 options.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
ivansc

Welcome to my world. I went through the same thing when I upgraded to a first gen i5. My previously excellent saffire6 started behaving so bad I couldnt use it. After 6 months of struggling, including one of the focusrite support guys taking over my machine using teamviewer, they gave me a free swap to a scarlett 2i2 which didnt work, followed by a 2i4 which also didnt work I gave up & bought an RME Babyface. Worked.

The moral is: in the few cases where focusrite devices dont work, you are probably shit out of luck, but their support guys really do try their best. I suspect they just don`t have much direct involvement with the people who write their drivers.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:10 PM   #8
serr

I keep seeing comments about troubles with chip sets for ports in the more budget machines nowadays. Doesn't seem reasonable on the one hand but with the gaslighting going on in the computer arena these days I bet it's all true.

Just going to throw this out in case it might help.
Partially disabled HDMI ports is another common thing. Some of that is also chip set related. Some of that is copy protection gone wild schemes. The workaround is to use a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and use the thunderbolt port.

So, maybe try that here. Get a thunderbolt to USB adapter and try the thunderbolt port.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote