Old 12-12-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
Tinkerbell
Human being with feelings

Default midi device gone

i accidently removed my korg kp 3 from the midi device list in reaper now no matter what i do i cannot get it to to reappear in the list. I have tried uninstalling the driver. It is showing in the windows device manager and the korg driver utility but not in reaper. I have tried resetting the midi devices
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:08 PM   #2
Winfield

Same thing just happened to me (with a Korg Padkontrol) - so I'm following this.

-W
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #3
Philbo King

Something to try: (If you don't understand any of the below or how to do the needed steps, DON'T try it.)

- Clone your boot drive and verify the cloned copy will boot.
- Search the registry for 'korg' and delete all the entries it finds
- Reinstall the driver(s)

If that doesn't help, restore your boot drive from the clone, no damage done.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
Tinkerbell

seems a bit much messing with registry. Dont have a spare drive. Never thought it would be this difficult
Old 12-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
Muse

Default midi device gone/quits working

From the get-go, let me say I am not trying to insult anyone's computer chops or intelligence here. I'm trying to write it so it won't be confusing to anyone interested.

I would suggest opening the Control Panel and selecting the Device Manager. Look for Sound, Video and Game Controllers section and find your Korg Kp 3 listing.

Close any programs that may be using the Korg device and driver.

METHOD 1 --

Open a command prompt -- https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open...prompt-2618089

Type "net stop audiosrv" (without the quotes) and press Enter -- this stops the audio service temporarily.

Type "net Stop AudioEndpointBuilder" (without the quotes) and press Enter -- this is also temporary. When audiosrv is restarted, it will automatically restart the Audio Endpoint Builder.

Now go to your Korg Kp 3 listing in the device manager, right click it and select Disable.

Go back to the command prompt window and type "net start audiosrv" (without the quotes) and press Enter. This restarts the audio service and Endpoint Builder.

Back to the device manager, right click your Korg listing and select Enable.

Once it's enabled, you can close the command prompt window.

It should be working now. If not, you may need to uninstall and re-install the driver. You should follow the manufacturer's instructions on how to do that.

METHOD 2 -- If you often have to restart the audio device driver, this method is a good one for you.

I typed a batch file that does all of this for me.

It requires a free program that allows command line control of the device manager. It's DevManView and can be downloaded at http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/device_manager_view.html

I installed it on my C: drive in C:\tools\ -- so C:\tools\devmanview.exe is the full file name.

Below is the batch file. Select it (left click swipe) and paste it into a new text file.

To personalize that file for your audio device, you have to enter the correct location of devmanview.exe AND you have to look up how your device is named in Device Manager.

To do that, open the Device Manager and right click on your device. Select Properties > Details. You should see "Device description" in the Property dropdown with the Value being the name you need to copy. Just right click that Value and select copy.

Now you want to paste that name everywhere you see "MyAudio Interface" in the batch file.

Then, change the location of devmanview.exe if you put it in other than C:\tools\.

Save the file to your desktop as WhateverNameYou'llRemember.bat (Like KorgK3DriverRestart.bat). Use the icon to start it when needed.

Note that this batch file gives feedback as to what it's doing. There's a quick and dirty version below it that runs and closes itself when its done the job -- giving no feedback.
__________________________________________________ ______

@rem batch file to disable and enable the "MyAudio Interface" through stopping and starting Windows Audio Service

@rem DISABLE

@echo.

@echo.

@echo Stop audiosrv

@echo.

@echo.

@net stop audiosrv

@echo.

@echo.

@echo Stop AudioEndpointBuilder

@echo.

@echo.

@net stop AudioEndpointBuilder

@echo Disabling MYAUDIO INTERFACE . . .

@echo.

@echo.

@C:\Tools\devmanview.exe /disable "MYAUDIO INTERFACE"

@echo Start audiosrv

@echo.

@echo.

@net start audiosrv

@echo.

@echo.

@rem ENABLE MYAUDIO INTERFACE

@echo Enabling MYAUDIO INTERFACE . . .

@C:\Tools\devmanview.exe /enable "MYAUDIO INTERFACE"

@pause
__________________________________________________ _______

Quick and dirty:

@net stop audiosrv

@net stop AudioEndpointBuilder

@C:\Tools\devmanview.exe /disable "MYAUDIO INTERFACE"

@net start audiosrv

@C:\Tools\devmanview.exe /enable "MYAUDIO INTERFACE"
__________________________________________________ ______

Hope this helps!
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #6
nait

Question 1... what exactly does it show as in Device Manager? I ask because the driver could be installed, and it could show in device manager as some generic device.. even a Korg device, but not be correct.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #7
Winfield

I'm with the OP on the point that having to do regular edits to the registry seems a bit strenuous to get a midi-device showing up in reaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Question 1... what exactly does it show as in Device Manager? I ask because the driver could be installed, and it could show in device manager as some generic device.. even a Korg device, but not be correct.
Not to hijack this thread, but how does one check that and what should I take note of (on w10)? When I'm looking on the device in device manager it seems right - with the korg driver reported as working (only korg driver i have installed - it's the same driver that was working previously). Also windows sees the device.

-W

Last edited by Winfield; 12-29-2019 at 01:49 AM. Reason: spelling etc
Old 12-27-2019, 01:01 AM   #8
Tinkerbell

maybe they can add rescan for midi devices
Old 01-26-2020, 02:49 AM   #9
Winfield

ok I just reinstalled the newest driver from korg (late 2019 version) and it now works again. Apparently there was a windows update that broke the old drivers. Perhaps this will work others as well.