Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #161
daxliniere
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicine tactic View Post
Or maybe three separate actions: "prompting", "no prompting", and "prompt on tracks"

"prompt on tracks" seems the most natural for Delete
Cool. As long as I get "prompting", I would be happy
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #162
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Hi MT,
Thanks for verifying. I think it would be better if it did prompt for everything, since there is always the action "Remove items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus)" if people prefer that.

I think any deletion should notify the user.

Cheers!
Yeah, it's always worked like that, Dax. I agree, though. If there's an action called "no prompting" then the other action should always warn the user no matter where the focus is. I think this is a discussion for a dedicated thread, not here.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #163
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicine tactic View Post
This stuff about a rewrite is nonsense. Only familiarity with the code would qualify someone to make that call. The whole point of "evolutionary not revolutionary" is to avoid these potentially disastrous rewrites. Empirically, REAPER feels clean, blazing fast, stable, and well designed. There's no reason to believe it needs a rewrite. You're mistaking a little UI clutter for a cracked foundation.

Adding features incompatible with the current design could require rewriting large chunks of infrastructure, but that's a completely different issue.
He is only responding to something along those lines posted by Schwa a while back, which to me also indicated that adding most of the things we all seem to agree are missing in MIDI would necessitate a lot of rewriting.

As far as the comments about a sticky where we put our 2c worth in to establish what things the majority would like to see worked on that is a pretty good idea - provided it actually gets a response from the devs.

For myself about all I need to make Reaper MIDI usable if not ideal would be an option to switch to track based editing and along with that the ability to work on multiple tacks in this mode.

Now there are a multitude of other things I would like to see but I suspect that the two things I have mentioned along with an overhaul of how the MIDI I/O works (especially with external gear) would keep most of us at least mollified for a while.

I can fully see where ED for instance could happily fill a couple of pges with things he thinks are essential, but I also think we need to be realistic and confine our "must haves " to just that. Only the absolute "must haves".

Be interesting to see what we get from all his - and of course we need to start a thread in general or somewhere (NOT the MIDI section of the forum, where it will languish and die amid a sea of OSC related stuff) in order that the wider Reaper audience gets a chance to look and comment...

Over to you, chaps.

Last edited by ivansc; 11-15-2012 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Raper....! the Jimmy Saville version?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:13 AM   #164
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Be interesting to see what we get from all his - and of course we need to start a thread in general or somewhere (NOT the MIDI section of the forum, where it will languish and die amid a sea of OSC related stuff) in order that the wider Reaper audience gets a chance to look and comment...

Over to you, chaps.
A thread in the general discussion forum will drown even faster, as much more posts are happening in there. There already is the MIDI sticky in FR forum, we could use that - though for some reason stickies are prone to being ignored by most readers .

If you opt for a new thread, feel free, but IMO it should happen in the MIDI/protocols forum (or in FR, but will drown faster in there). The best chances to stay up front it has in MIDI. (Btw, the "sea of OSC related stuff" at the moment consists of 8 threads out of 46 on the first page).
If your thinking is "not as many people read and post in the MIDI section", I'd say, those who are interested in Reaper's MIDI should (and hopefully do).

(Generally though, I predict what we get in such a thread will be just more of the same old. But that's no reason to not give it a try, of course)
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #165
ivansc

Yeah - just me being ME-centric..... it always seems like every time I check out for new posts in the MIDI section it is about touchOSC or similar.

Even though I now have an android thingy, I would much rather see more MIDI related stuff, if only for the purposes of DEV BRAINWASHING

And didnt we have a huge "everything on MIDI all lumped in thogether" thread and did it never get stickied?

Just checked and it never did get stickied and moved into the MIDI area.

Maybe one to suggest to the powers that be?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #166
gofer
-blänk-

Which one do you mean? I thought the "everything on MIDI all lumped in thogether" request thread is the sticky in FR forum The V4 Midi Reafinement Thread?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #167
EvilDragon

...in the end I couldn't keep my promise.

It seems I simply love this forum too much.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #168
hopi

hey ED ... good call... nice to have you around.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #169
Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargard View Post
And that's what I pointed to in my last post:
you said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of substance. There's not a single point that declares your position, your needs, defines the shortcomings you rant about.
Just a rant about some mysterious non-existing, yet necessary for survival, functions. (ok, I take it back, you said "the whole MIDI/Automation/Folders thingy" isn't the way you want it to be, yet he only feature you mention is............global input quantisation? REALLY?)
Here we go...someone wanting an argument!!
I have made countless posts previously over the years where I pointed out a ton of things,
closed folders, proper docking of the midi filter, multiple track editing in the one piano roll view by selecting ghosted notes that are on other channels or tracks, not only global Quantize...but all the various offsets on input, folder based quantize, transpose etc...etc.....and more
I am not going to repeat them ad nauseum just because you are not aware of whats gone down here, yet you come in accusing..
If you use words like... "rant"..."why dont you list"...when you cant Fu+*@ng be bothered reading any posts, and then trying to indicate that I am some kind of vacuous midi user...you want a complete list? Well I could give you a long one.
BUT sorry!!...For you...NO LIST... why? because you are obviously a JERK!! all you are going to get from me is F%&$# OFF!!
Try a little tact next time and you wont get this kind of response.

Or perhaps think a little before you attack.
Your people skills = ZERO!

Last edited by Astro; 11-15-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #170
Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargard View Post
I don't get what you guys want, so I doubt the developers do either.
I think the developers know...obviously you dont tho!! so before you rant on any further.
Why dont you try reading the previous posts and FR's before you post your idiotic statements!
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #171
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
...in the end I couldn't keep my promise.

It seems I simply love this forum too much.
I have no idea what this is about but yeah, this forum w/o ED would pretty much be a death-knell imho.
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #172
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
A thread in the general discussion forum will drown even faster, as much more posts are happening in there. There already is the MIDI sticky in FR forum, we could use that - though for some reason stickies are prone to being ignored by most readers .

If you opt for a new thread, feel free, but IMO it should happen in the MIDI/protocols forum (or in FR, but will drown faster in there). The best chances to stay up front it has in MIDI. (Btw, the "sea of OSC related stuff" at the moment consists of 8 threads out of 46 on the first page).
If your thinking is "not as many people read and post in the MIDI section", I'd say, those who are interested in Reaper's MIDI should (and hopefully do).

(Generally though, I predict what we get in such a thread will be just more of the same old. But that's no reason to not give it a try, of course)
Groovy, but people frequent the general discussion. We've had this conversation before and from a non-mod POV, you might as well take a chance posting stuff in "general" and see if it gets moved because once it's moved, it's in a wasteland. I too do not like the fact that it's "midi and other protocols" but is in fact, the OSC thread. Sticky? Everyone reads the stickies, I'll not beat the dead horse on this subject, but some gave up and many don't care. But General discussion is where the "action" is, even though that is not ideal. (I agree things should be divided)

EDIT 8 out of 46? Hmmmmmmmmmm. Well, maybe I'm talking from the past but everytime I've gone over there it seems like a ton of OSC and very little midi AND questions don't get answered (at least that has been my case.)

We'll see after the noon in paris thing happens and see how it goes.....
Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #173
Pfhuck

Not sure if my pennies are even worth it with all the ****'s lately... HOWEVER!

I'm all for MIDI improvements!

What EYE I AYE would like MOST is a workable/reliable/updated reainsert plugin. Maybe it's just me? More and more analog hardware stuff around here lately...

Yes, there are "work-a-round's", but I would like to see the reainsert plugin live up to it's full potential.

Why not?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #174
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
We've had this conversation before
Maybe we should have it again, briefly.

Quote:
and from a non-mod POV, you might as well take a chance posting stuff in "general" and see if it gets moved
BTW, nothing was moved since August, with a few necessary or requested exceptions.

Quote:
because once it's moved, it's in a wasteland.
That's your perception and I'm sorry that you got that impression/misconception for some reason, however it's not a fact. It would get out of sight only for people who exclusively use the GD forum, and only if we wouldn't leave the redirect messages all the time so that your thread is actually visible in both forums, it almost becomes a double posting.

You seem to be upset with the moderation here since I moved one of your threads and that didn't get a reply, sorry for that but it was most likely not because it was "moved out of sight" since in fact rather the opposite should happen. It was moved as a service, because I thought it'll help you getting an answer while it also helps the forum, and not to make you feel uncomfy.

Quote:
I too do not like the fact that it's "midi and other protocols" but is in fact, the OSC thread
It was created at a time when OSC was introduced as well, hence it had a high number of OSC related threads back then.

Quote:
Well, maybe I'm talking from the past but everytime I've gone over there it seems like a ton of OSC and very little midi AND questions don't get answered (at least that has been my case.)
What kept you from looking into that forum now?

Quote:
(I agree things should be divided)
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #175
gofer
-blänk-

The part I don't get is:

If you feel that posts in the MIDI section are getting drowned by OSC (which isn't the case after the initial flood - one of the 8 I counted yesterday has vanished to pg2 since and it looks like others are about to follow), why do you think that it fares better in general discussion of all places, when it's pretty obvious that it will go under even faster, drowned by threads about virtually everything created by the minute?

Again, if you're interested in Reaper's MIDI, it's kind of absurd to not read/post in the MIDI section, isn't it? That is where the MIDI "action" is.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #176
ivansc

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=85251

Found it due to someone posting there

And hopi you are right, it had sunk in the general section, but IF it were stickied like the OLD MIDI fr thread, it would not be.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #177
gofer
-blänk-

Errm, that link leads to a sticky in the FR forum (the exact one I referred and linked to earlier in this thread)?

Quote:
Sticky? Everyone reads the stickies
Hehe

Last edited by gofer; 11-16-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #178
chrisharbin

I realize I'm not always the best at explaining things but from my perspective it's "you guys have your ideas, your the devs/mods/etc, that's the end of it".

Fair enough. I'll go back to lounge now and leave everyone alone. Looking forward to noon in paris or whatever it is it.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #179
chrisharbin

Quote:
Errm, that link leads to a sticky in the FR forum (the exact one I referred and linked to earlier in this thread)?

Hehe
I was joking, but as usual, nobody got it, again, fair enough.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #180
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
I was joking, but as usual, nobody got it, again, fair enough.
You've hidden the joke pretty well then But, I did at least laugh, didn't I? Doesn't that count a bit?
(also, although I quoted you, it was actually more directed to Ivansc and in a leg-pulling kind of way - I hope (think) he understood it in the way it was meant)

To be clear about the other stuff, no one said you may not do a consolidate-MIDI-wishes thread in the general forum. I was just stating my point of view about why I find it has better chances to survive longer in the MIDI section. That was a recommendation, not an order. I wrote "feel free, but IMO it should happen in the MIDI/protocols forum". How you get from there to "you guys have your ideas, your the devs/mods/etc, that's the end of it" I really do not understand.

Also I wanted to let everybody know that the days of OSC tsunami are long gone and it's now save to have a look every now and then. It's a nice little place with people writing about a matter that you say you got an interest in. You could help to liven it up some more still - or take your ball and go lounging, it's your decision.

BTW, I would have said exactly the same if I weren't a mod.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #181
ivansc

Quote:

Hehe
Just edited my original post, as I double checked (should have done that first) and it isn't the thread I was referring to.

Sort of makes the point about how easy it is for this stuff to just get swallowed up, dunnit?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #182
Stargard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Here we go...someone wanting an argument!!
I have made countless posts previously over the years .................................................. ......................(something-something, blah, boom, fart, boom, blah, something-something)...........................(attention! DRAMA ahead!).................
BUT sorry!!...For you...NO LIST... why? because you are obviously a JERK!! all you are going to get from me is F%&$# OFF!!
Try a little tact next time and you wont get this kind of response.

Or perhaps think a little before you attack.
Your people skills = ZERO!
Did a wallaby piss in your boots, mate?

And how can I restore my honor after being shamed by the fact (as you have pointed out) that I didn't study your "countless posts, over the years". Self-centered much?
Do you need a stalker or sumtin'?

What about a link to a thread, where more than your own genius mind took part in a discussion? Or should I stalk all random people who used the term "MIDI" in their posts, compile a list of all members, then create a 3D visualization, do some meaning extraction of written text using WordNet, a natural language tool kit and some clever math? Nah, a simple link would suffice, me thinks.

Oh and pick up a habit. Like THC consumption. I've heard good things about it. It chills people the f#&k out.

I am chilled out now. Now that I know that the devs studied all your "countless posts over the years" about MIDI, nothing can go wrong.

Still your pal,
Stargard
Stargard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #183
Kundalinguist

Astro and Stargard, why are you littering this forum with your hostility?

Can you not find a place where such behavior is better appreciated - like the army or a hate group website? Please leave your personality defects at home where they belong. Or study to become a better human being.

I believe I speak for a few more than just myself.