Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
Ice
Human being with feelings

Default Allow Pre-fader sends to not mute when the sending track is muted

Coming from Pro Tools I expected to be able to mute a track, and allow sends on that track that are set to Pre-Fader to continue to send.

The work-around (for my usual purposes) is to option-click the IO on the sending track to disable that tracks master send. However if I'm not using that track to send to the master then this won't help.

I've seen other people mention this feature for various purposes. For me I usually want it to see just what I might be doing to a sound, like if I'm using Wavefactory's Trackspacer and I want to analyze what it's doing to that track etc..

If people don't agree, then I'd still ask for a preference, or even another option like Pre-fader AND pre-mute, etc..
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:23 PM   #2
triviul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Coming from Pro Tools I expected to be able to mute a track, and allow sends on that track that are set to Pre-Fader to continue to send.

The work-around (for my usual purposes) is to option-click the IO on the sending track to disable that tracks master send. However if I'm not using that track to send to the master then this won't help.

I've seen other people mention this feature for various purposes. For me I usually want it to see just what I might be doing to a sound, like if I'm using Wavefactory's Trackspacer and I want to analyze what it's doing to that track etc..

If people don't agree, then I'd still ask for a preference, or even another option like Pre-fader AND pre-mute, etc..
I would also welcome proper prefade Mute logic, and actually I can see a very simple way to provide it without any changes to Reaper's general mixer architecture: have a 'Mute buttons operate Master Send switches' preference. This would allow a channel to be muted in the main mix using the channel Mute button, but without muting any of its prefade sends, which is exactly what I think we're both looking for. Why don't I just alt-click the channel I/O buttons? Because I currently have to do this with the mouse, and that's way too slow for live tracking sessions. If the channel Mute buttons could control the Master Send switches, I could do this from my hardware controller, which is much quicker, and can easily be done on multiple tracks at once without first selecting them all. (Incidentally, the solo logic already works fine as it is, as long as the solo busses are set to Solo Defeat.)
triviul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:46 AM   #3
triviul

Quote:
Originally Posted by triviul View Post
I would also welcome proper prefade Mute logic, and actually I can see a very simple way to provide it without any changes to Reaper's general mixer architecture: have a 'Mute buttons operate Master Send switches' preference. This would allow a channel to be muted in the main mix using the channel Mute button, but without muting any of its prefade sends, which is exactly what I think we're both looking for. Why don't I just alt-click the channel I/O buttons? Because I currently have to do this with the mouse, and that's way too slow for live tracking sessions. If the channel Mute buttons could control the Master Send switches, I could do this from my hardware controller, which is much quicker, and can easily be done on multiple tracks at once without first selecting them all. (Incidentally, the solo logic already works fine as it is, as long as the solo busses are set to Solo Defeat.)
Actually -- coming back to it, I can see a flaw there. That kind of muting workaround wouldn't mute post-fader sends, so any send-effects wouldn't be muted when you muted a track. Oh well... Back to wishing on a star for a proper mixer-style Preferences option...
triviul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 08:06 AM   #4
Melodeath

Adding my support for making an option to make pre-fader also pre-mute.
Melodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 02:20 PM   #5
mschnell

There is a global option to stop track processing when the track is muted. Same is on by default. I suppose when set to off, sends might work for muted tracks.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:43 AM   #6
JonneM

+1 for this.
JonneM is offline   Reply With Quote