Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
jmmashi
Human being with feelings

Default Help new to Reaper - No Sound when connected to Midi

I am new to reaper, I have connected my Yamaha M08 as a a midi via my audio interface, when I try to record I get the red signal line moving but hear no sound I should see a green signal line which I do not can one help.

What I have realised is that I am not getting the sound when trying to play ther keyboard this is the problem.

Thanking You
Joe

Last edited by jmmashi; 01-01-2012 at 04:17 PM.
jmmashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
XonXoff

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't think you understand what midi is.

Midi contains no sound. Midi is a set of instructions to an instrument (either hardware or software) to play sounds. Think of the paper piano rolls of years ago that were fed into a piano which then played the tune. That's a kind of analogue pre-runner to midi.

So, either you need to route your midi input in Reaper out to a hardware synth (eg your Yamaha) or use a software instrument. You add those to a track just like any other effect. You may need to download one first though but there are plenty to try. I suggest something like "mda piano" to get you started.
XonXoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #3
ivansc

Read this answer in conjunction with your other thread - they are BOTH the same problem, which of course is good since you only have one issue to solve, not two!
Result!

Roland has a very good little booklet on MIDI which your friendly local Roland/Edirol dealer should be able to supply you for free.

If I recall it is called "the midi handbook"

I would offer you mine but I have lost it somewhere in the ocean of paperwork in the studio.

MUST have a spring clean.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
jmmashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by XonXoff View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't think you understand what midi is.

Midi contains no sound. Midi is a set of instructions to an instrument (either hardware or software) to play sounds. Think of the paper piano rolls of years ago that were fed into a piano which then played the tune. That's a kind of analogue pre-runner to midi.

So, either you need to route your midi input in Reaper out to a hardware synth (eg your Yamaha) or use a software instrument. You add those to a track just like any other effect. You may need to download one first though but there are plenty to try. I suggest something like "mda piano" to get you started.
Thank you for the quick response I understand now that reaper is just recieving Midi data from the keyboard, the problem is, I still can not hear what I am playing the is causing me the problem. I can see the recored Midi data in reaper when press the play button i cannot hear anything. I think this is a routing issues.

Help.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
jmmashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Read this answer in conjunction with your other thread - they are BOTH the same problem, which of course is good since you only have one issue to solve, not two!
Result!

Roland has a very good little booklet on MIDI which your friendly local Roland/Edirol dealer should be able to supply you for free.

If I recall it is called "the midi handbook"

I would offer you mine but I have lost it somewhere in the ocean of paperwork in the studio.

MUST have a spring clean.
Thank you for your response, please see my comment below in Xon-Xoff
Old 01-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

You need something that creates instrument voices from the MIDI data to hear it. In your case you probably want to use your Yamaha synth to play the data, so you have to tell REAPER to send the track MIDI data to the hardware MIDI output (clock the I/O button on your MIDI track(s)) back to your synth. If you want to hear your synth within REAPER, you need to use an additional audio cable from your synth to your audio interface and an additional audio track in REAPER.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
jmmashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
You need something that creates instrument voices from the MIDI data to hear it. In your case you probably want to use your Yamaha synth to play the data, so you have to tell REAPER to send the track MIDI data to the hardware MIDI output (clock the I/O button on your MIDI track(s)) back to your synth. If you want to hear your synth within REAPER, you need to use an additional audio cable from your synth to your audio interface and an additional audio track in REAPER.
Thanks for the advice, I tried what you said I clicked on the I/O button and set the MIDI hardware output to the audio interface that I am using still getting no sound. I have attached a document with a screen shot of the setting.

Thanking You
Jo
Old 01-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmashi View Post
Thanks for the advice, I tried what you said I clicked on the I/O button and set the MIDI hardware output to the audio interface that I am using still getting no sound. I have attached a document with a screen shot of the setting.

Thanking You
Jo
Did you by any chance have a look at the response I posted in your other very similar thread?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=94218
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Are you trying to use the MO8 as the sound generator? And also capture the MIDI at the same time? If so, you need to send the midi back out of reaper and into the MO8, then connect the MO8 audio out to an audio input on your sound card.
You'll need to make sure you've got the keyboard enabled as a MIDI output, under Preferences/MIDI devices. Then, on the track that is receiving the MIDI input, click the I/O button, and choose the keyboard as a MIDI Hardware Output. You still won't hear anything until you connect the audio output from the keyboard, though. Remember, MIDI is just data. It does not make a sound.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
jmmashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Did you by any chance have a look at the response I posted in your other very similar thread?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=94218
Kevin

Thanks for the advice, I have resolved my issue, which is typical for someone new to the game, I only had the Midi out cable going into the Midi in of the audio interface and not a Midi out from the audio interface going to the Midi in of the M08. Everythig working fine.

Thanks to everyone for helping.
Great Forum
Joe