Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-10-2009, 04:09 AM   #41
nicholas
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by With an E View Post
Good luck with it; I imagine it's about as easy to coordinate as birds mating mid air!!!
Well it's a challenge all right, but an enjoyable one ... trying to show how all the pieces fit together really drives home to me what an amazing piece of software REAPER really is.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #42
Dali

Default Got it from Amazon.ca !

As they say: "Only 1 left in stock--order soon (more on the way). "

...Now waiting...

Dali
Old 02-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #43
nicholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dali View Post
As they say: "Only 1 left in stock--order soon (more on the way). "

...Now waiting...

Dali
Thanks! You could also try here ...
http://www.tower.com/home-recording-...wapi/113128921

Old 02-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #44
Susan G

Hi Geoff-

I'll definitely be in line for your new book as soon as I'm gainfully employed again. I lost my job last month (along with nearly 600,000 others) due to the US economic free-fall, and there's definitely a trickle-down (make that "cascade-down") effect! All digits crossed for a relatively quick recovery, then I'll be sure to pick up your book!

Thanks-

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #45
Dali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
I lost my job last month (along with nearly 600,000 others) due to the US economic free-fall, and there's definitely a trickle-down (make that "cascade-down) effect!

-Susan
I'm really sorry to read that Susan.

Good luck for a better future.

Dali
Old 02-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #46
Susan G

Thanks so much for that, Dali! Many are in much worse shape than I am, but we'll all get through it somehow.

-Susan
Old 02-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #47
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Thanks so much for that, Dali! Many are in much worse shape than I am, but we'll all get through it somehow.

-Susan
That's it! a possitive attitude always! of course, you'll get through that soon... many people have done it before, why would you be the exception? Go on and on even if all doors close... you'll get in for sure (the keyhole is always a good starting point)
Old 02-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #48
nicholas

Quote:
Hi Geoff-

I lost my job last month (along with nearly 600,000 others) due to the US economic free-fall

-Susan
Sorry to hear that Susan, hope you find something soon. Meanwhile I know you'll put the extra time on your hands to good use!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #49
stupeT

Quote:
Hi Geoff-

I'll definitely be in line for your new book as soon as I'm gainfully employed again. I lost my job last month (along with nearly 600,000 others) due to the US economic free-fall, and there's definitely a trickle-down (make that "cascade-down") effect! All digits crossed for a relatively quick recovery, then I'll be sure to pick up your book!

Thanks-

-Susan
Please, Susan,

buy, buy, buy and turn arround the situation in the US!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #50
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
RRP is about $35 but don't expect to pay more than $25 to $27 if purchasing on-line.
I just bought it from a Swedish on-line book store (www.adlibris.se), 284 SEK (approx US$35), including "free" shipping. Now, I'm eagerly waiting delivery... Thanks nicholas.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #51
bluzkat

Quote:
Hi Geoff-
I lost my job last month (along with nearly 600,000 others) due to the US economic free-fall, and there's definitely a trickle-down (make that "cascade-down") effect! All digits crossed for a relatively quick recovery, then I'll be sure to pick up your book!

Thanks-

-Susan
Susan,

Sorry to hear about your job loss (was it automotive related?). You are definitely not alone, I lost my job just before Christmas. Once I get a *few* medical issues under control, I hope to be able to go back to school (at the governments expense) and play a lot more music. It'll be just like I was 20 again!!

Try to see it as an opportunity, not a hardship. Okay enough sappy cliches. Take care.

Peace.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #52
nicholas

Quote:

I wonder if you've talked with your publisher about offering it in Kindle or another downloadable e-book format ...

-Susan
Susan ... as you know I passed this suggestion on to them and have just heard that they like the idea and are looking into the possibilities right now. Wheels sometimes turn slowly, so I can't give you a timeline, but thanks for the suggestion - see what a difference one person's good idea can make!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #53
Susan G

Hi Geoff-

That would be great! (More for you later!)

Thanks for everyone's encouraging words, and @bluzcat, no, not automotive. Restaurant and Retail Point of Sale software, and so many small businesses are going under that they basically have no new sales coming in and had to make some drastic cuts. Things are looking up a bit for retail, based on Jan numbers, but restaurants are still hurting.

Thanks again-

-Susan
Old 02-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #54
surfsup

I have a question. I have been recording for around 7 months now and FEEL I am getting a hang for what everything does. My issue now is just down to two things I guess:

1) understanding the finer points of reaper's functionality and why some of the advanced features are helpful/desired.

2) Tuning my ears so I'm not remixing a song 30 times to make it sound good on my MP3 player...

Would this book help in #1 or is it more an introduction? It looks like there's a few things in there I could use like learning about loops and routing/sends, but wondering how detailed that is?
surfsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #55
moodswinger

Hey Surf-

It sounds to me like ReaMix would be more what your looking for.
ReaMix and the User Guide give pretty good explainations to the finer points,
and ReaMix will DEFINATELY help with point #2. It's a great book.

If your 7 mos in, and at the point you seem to be, there's nothing not covered
in those 2 that you'd miss from the Beginners guide. But if you're having issues with the fundamentals overall...the Beginners Guide might offer you a worthwhile amount of info.

Just IMO from your post.
if there's a sound you play, that doesn't fit today,
why not just play the bastard anyway.

Be Schitzophonic.
moodswinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #56
Defenestration

I'm a beginner at digital music recording/creation and have been looking at a few books:

Home Recording for Beginner's (Obviously ;D )
Reaper Manual
ReaMix
Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies (ISBN: 9780470385425)
Guerilla Home Recording: How to Get (ISBN: 9781423454465)
Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools (ISBN: 9780240520681)
The Mixing Engineer's Handbook (ISBN: 9781598632514)

Are any of the books not by Geoff worth getting (ie. is there anything they cover really well) ?

Are there any really good books specifically aimed at creating dance music (that include info not in Geoff's books) ?
Defenestration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #57
pghboemike

Default what is different from the manual

what additional information does Home Recording for Beginners. have beyond the Reaper 3.0 Manual

in other words if i have the manual what added value does Home Recording for Beginners bring
pghboemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #58
moodswinger

pghboemike,
First welcome to the forums.

As far as HR4B's goes, it is aimed at people new to DAW recording. It assumes you know little to nothing, and basically lies down a foundation to build upon. It literally works you thru the basic steps of recording and mixing a song without getting real "technical". Everything is in easy to understand terms and examples. The Manual is a fantastic overview of REAPER and it's features but doesn't get real in-depth on how or what to use. It (manual) assumes you know (at least) the basics that HR4B gives you, or have a background in another software.
If your having trouble understanding some of the features or some of the manual, HR4B will probably help you fill in the gaps, as well as giving you good basics in mixing too. If you understand the manual reasonably well, then ReaMix may be a better option if your looking to further your knowledge.
Hope this clarifies a bit.
Cheers,
MoodSwinger

Be Schitzophonic.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #59
moodswinger

Defenestration-

I can say I've skimmed thru Home Rec...Dummies, and I have Mixing Eng Handbook.
The Dummies manual I didn't feel contained anything that I didn't get out of others I had read, maybe more inclusive, had the info I found in 3 or 4 others in 1, but nothing groundbreaking or new.
the Mixing Handbook I got cause it's like a standard reference, everybody seems to at least know of it or have used it. Still worthy to have I guess.

There are a couple of books I have found specifically regarding "dance" (electronic) music creation on a computer, can't think of the exact titles now but if you google some of those terms I'm sure you'll find some pop-up from amazon.

If REAPER is your primary DAW, you really can't do better than Geoff's stuff for learning and getting familiar with everything. They're so well written and easy to understand, and will teach you more than most. I refer people to them all the time (ReaMix & HR4B)even if they don't use REAPER , and have not had one person say "that was a waste thanks alot". Most get more out of it then they expect to.
Welcome to the Forums.
Cheers,
MoodSwinger

Be Schitzophonic.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #60
pghboemike

Default amazon say i'll have by 6/24

will check back after it arrives

looking forward to "It literally works you thru the basic steps of recording and mixing a song without getting real "technical". Everything is in easy to understand terms and examples."

thanks for the imput
Old 06-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #61
pghboemike

Default it's here!!

looks great, skimmed a little of each chap

issue

i get this message when loading projects

There were 1 items in the project file that were not understood. If this project was from a newer version of REAPER (or was saved with certain extensions installed), this version may not preserve all of the settings in the project.

i did not install reaper as i had already done that

vr 3.04 on vista 32 sp1

ideas
Old 09-12-2009, 09:04 AM   #62
Boridhren

I am pretty much a complete beginner looking to get started in electronic (not loop-based) music. I reckon I won't be doing much audio recording to start with, but will mainly be using VSTi's and the MIDI editor.

Do you think this book will be a good starting point, or is it more aimed towards audio?

I am also wondering if Reaper is a good DAW for me to start with (as I keep hearing that the MIDI is not its strongest point), or would I be better off with something simpler like MU.LAB?
Boridhren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #63
moodswinger

Boridren.... first welcome to the forums.

Home Recording does primarily focus on recording.
It does give a pretty good understanding of fx and vst's,
but doesn't go far or deep into VSTi's or electronic composing.

As far as Reaper and starting out, or something else, check a few out. I know Mu.lab has a free version, and you can find trials of many big ones. Personally I wasted almost 2 yrs. before stumbling across Reaper, and it's just made things easier and more sense for me. Find something you like. Don't base things one "simpler" to start as you will find that when you're ready to move on to something more "advanced", you'll find you have re-learn a bunch of what you already "know", and that can be frustrating. If you put in the time in the beginning, it'll be worth it in the end.

Reaper isn't the "best" for electronic music, but it's made leaps and bounds, to being more rounded and full featured. It's very possible that by the time you want to do something you'll be able to. I know many here use for electronic stuff so there's always someone to help you too.

hope this helps,
Cheers,
MoodSwinger

Be Schitzophonic.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #64
Boridhren

I have tried the free version of MU.LAB briefly and I found it very easy to get into, but being a beginner it's hard to know just what you will want from a program later on... And I see your point about having to relearn everything when moving to another one. I think I'll give Reaper a shot and see how it works out.

Thanks a lot for the advice!
Boridhren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #65
moodswinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boridhren View Post
I have tried the free version of MU.LAB briefly and I found it very easy to get into, but being a beginner it's hard to know just what you will want from a program later on...

Thanks a lot for the advice!
No prob, glad I could help.
Ya know too, there's nothing wrong with keeping on with MuLab, especially if it's that easy for you starting out. I used to love how quickly I could mock backing tracks up in Magix MusicMaker, it only cost me $40 but it was money well spent. I still dabble with it now and again just for fun.
Like others will tell you...there are going to be many tools in your toolbox. And sometimes what is most frustrating about learning a new app is the "creative" downtime, and the feeling you might lose the inspiration. So if you can supplant that at least for the time being, it'll make it all seem better in the end.

Cheers.

Be Schitzophonic.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #66
howzit

This looks like JUST what I need. Thank you.
howzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #67
Michelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestration View Post
Are any of the books not by Geoff worth getting (ie. is there anything they cover really well) ?

Are there any really good books specifically aimed at creating dance music (that include info not in Geoff's books) ?
I just ordered the Beginner and Reaper power. The beginner book is suppose to have a sort of "Follow these steps for the first thirty days".
If I"m not too wrapped up recording, testing and playing with my new gear after xmas(when the books get here) I will give and post purchase follow up on how and if the books were helpful to me.
Michelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #68
Michelo

Default Reaper Beginner

So far I'm glad I got it. I made it through day 4 on the first day. It's helping to take the fear out of setting things up. Unlike a studio in a box, there's so many little settings to take care of and I'm not skipping any pages just to make sure. Also taking time to understand some the basics which I thought I knew. Great book.
Michelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #69
xalky

I just ordered this book. I'm chomping at the bit to start the lessons. I already have 12 songs recorded in wave thru my Zoom H4n to work on. I can't wait.

: UPDATE :

I got the "Home recording for Beginners" Manual 2 days ago. This really is a must have for any Newbie to DAW recording especially with Reaper. I decided to use Reaper right from the beginning of my DAW experience because everybody raves about it, I can grow with it, and I can learn my recording skills on a platform that I won't outgrow or put me in the poor house.

Thanks Guys for some awesome software and an awesome book for newbs like me.

I'm almost halfway thru the book already, 2 days in, I'm obsessed man...can't get enough.

Last edited by xalky; 01-16-2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Update
xalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #70
RickH

Hello, brand new...just signed up and this is my first post on the forum. I just ordered this a few days ago and I should receive it tomorrow. I've recently started working with Reaper and am amazed at how intuitive the program is. I'm looking forward to getting the book to have it fill in the wide cracks in my computer recording knowledge and show me the ropes of Reaper production!
RickH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:49 AM   #71
wallace

It's a cool intro and prepares you well for Reaper Power
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #72
bluesdan

Had the book for about a month. Excellent work! will really get you more than up and running!
Old 02-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #73
iLLogicaL

I had been away from music making for a couple years (after Acid Pro's constant crashing dampened my enthusiasm) and found Home Recording a great refresher and also a nice introduction to Reaper, which I'm still getting (pleasantly) acquainted with. Just finished the 400 page manual as well, and now giving 'Reaper Power' a go.

I really enjoy your writing Geoffrey, and think you do a great job of breaking down intricate features into manageable bites. Thank you!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #74
mhagstad

Question in re Beginners book:

In chapter or Day 6 (page52)the author surely isn't assuming that the reader is capable of playing a bass, a guitar, percussion and singing, or to play any three instruments and sing lead and sing harmony is he? Please? If that's what's required to use this software I am flunked.

I play a little piano/keyboard. And I am willing to croak out a bit of vocal for the (learning) cause, though I'd never want to find out that anyone had heard it. But I can't do what he calls for here. Does everyone else know how to do this?

I figure I'll do a piano recording and then add a track of vocal. Won't that give me the point of the lesson?

I can read music, sort of, but what's that stuff at the bottom of page 52 with all the letters on the top and sides and numbers running from zero to up into the thousands? I can figure out that it has something to do with the song Happy Birthday, but what?

I have the feeling that all will now be made clear to me. So . . .

thank you.

Mike
mhagstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #75
nitrousbob

Just ordered the book from amazon. Can't wait to see how far the rabbit hole goes.
nitrousbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #76
Harvey49

Default Glossary of terms

G'Day All,
I've purchased a copy of Geoffrey Francis' book, but it must be on the slow boat - taking forever to get here- patience isn't a strong virtue of mine!!!!

I'm wondering if it has a comprehensive glossary of terms specific to recording, and if not, has some kind soul posted a listing of all these terms and a plain english interpretation of what they mean?

Having no electronic background or recording experience, rather than have to google these things all the time when they arise and that is happening a lot lately, it would be handy to have a list on standby.

Cheers

Ron
Harvey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:23 AM   #77
moodswinger

Harvey49,

Good pick-up, hopefully it gets there soon.
There is a pretty decent glossary there, but just for the H of it I figured I'd put this up for you. You'll see alot of common terms and duplicates to ones in the book.

hope it helps.

http://www.scorpiorisingstudio.com/p...ioglossary.zip

the .zip contains glossary in both PDF and MSWord Rich Text formats.

Cheers,
MoodSwinger

Be Schitzophonic.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #78
Harvey49

Thanks moodswinger for the lead to the glossary, should keep me busy for a while.

Cheers

Ron
Harvey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #79
dave2ta

Default Your Book is GREAT!!!

Thank you so much for writing your book. It is really great and should come as part of Reaper... It was a vital part of my getting use to using Reaper....

Dave Evans
dave2ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #80
dave2ta

Default It will get easier...

Don't let it scare you... The book makes Reaper very easy to use... I'm not great on the guitar either but good enough to get the song accross... I write my own songs and the recordings I'm getting now from Reaper are very close to what is in my head... It is great...

Hang in there, it will get easier...

Dave Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagstad View Post
Question in re Beginners book:

In chapter or Day 6 (page52)the author surely isn't assuming that the reader is capable of playing a bass, a guitar, percussion and singing, or to play any three instruments and sing lead and sing harmony is he? Please? If that's what's required to use this software I am flunked.

I play a little piano/keyboard. And I am willing to croak out a bit of vocal for the (learning) cause, though I'd never want to find out that anyone had heard it. But I can't do what he calls for here. Does everyone else know how to do this?

I figure I'll do a piano recording and then add a track of vocal. Won't that give me the point of the lesson?

I can read music, sort of, but what's that stuff at the bottom of page 52 with all the letters on the top and sides and numbers running from zero to up into the thousands? I can figure out that it has something to do with the song Happy Birthday, but what?

I have the feeling that all will now be made clear to me. So . . .

thank you.

Mike
dave2ta is offline   Reply With Quote