Old 04-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
Narroo
Human being with feelings

Default Virtual MIDI keyboard trouble

I've been trying to recond using my keyboard, so I set up REAPER's virtual keyboard so that when I hit my keys, the board plays. Execpt, when I am recording my PC gives me the "you cannot do that bing sound."
Anyone know why?
Narroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:15 AM   #2
JohnB47

I haven't checked this out but I think you'll find that you need to have focus on the virtual keyboard to be able to get sounds by hitting your PC keyboard keys.

The problem is that by clicking on the 'record' button, you set focus to the background Reaper screen. Just click on the virtual keyboard, then your PC keyboard will be active.

At least I think that's it - going from memory here. Will try it later today and will edit if I'm wrong.

Cheers.
JohnB47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:27 AM   #3
bobby hill

Yep, click on the virtual keyboard to 'activate' it.
bobby hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
bederk

use the option "Send all keyboard input to midi keyboard (even with other windows active)"

right click under the virtual keyboard for this

bederk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
pedrozo

Default trouble with the virtual midi keyboard!

Hi! My names is Pedro and I want to know how to activate the v.m.k. I just opened a new track and it doesn't working... Help please!
pedrozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
suprosuperman

hi pedroz,
if you click the word "VIEW" at the top left of reaper screen you will see a list, half way down that list is "show virtual midi keyboard" click it and the Virtual midi keyboard will appear.

cheers.
suprosuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
jhun35

Default Similar problem

I am having problems with my virtual keyboard also. When i am playing notes on the keyboard, i cannot hear any of the notes being played on the virtual keyboard. Nothing, when i set my stereo input to left/right i get a terrible screaching noise, but besides that not a thing. Any ideas?
jhun35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
JohnB47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhun35 View Post
I am having problems with my virtual keyboard also. When i am playing notes on the keyboard, i cannot hear any of the notes being played on the virtual keyboard. Nothing, when i set my stereo input to left/right i get a terrible screaching noise, but besides that not a thing. Any ideas?
OK try this.

Start off with a clean blank track (Ctrl+T).

On that tracks TCP (the section to the left with the buttons etc) right click on the 'in' button and select 'MIDI Input/Virtual MIDI keyboard/All channels'. Also select 'Monitor Input'.

Then click on the 'Arm for Recoding' button 'ar'.

Now you need to tell Reaper what you want to produce the sounds from the keyboard. If you want to use the PCs onboard synth, click on the 'io' button and in the 'Midi Hardware Output' dropdown, select your onboard synth. Otherwise you need to load up a synth by clicking on the 'fx' button and selecting something like ReaSynth in the VSTi section.

Hope that gets you started.
JohnB47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
kid_lofi

Default keyboard plays EVERYTHING

Hi, so I'm a bit of a nub, having come from over a decade of using fruityloops (yeah, from before it tried to gain some dignity by calling itself FLStudio). The problem I'm having is that I've got several synths and a sampler, and when I play around with the virtual keyboard, it plays ALL of them simultaneously. It's not a problem when i'm sequencing and playing back or anything, just when I'm rifling through sounds, or noodling and trying to figure out what note to put in next. So, is there an obvious way to fix this? I'm fully open to the possibility that there's an obvious checkbox i've missed.

So, if i should start a new topic rather than just derailing this one, smack me down, and I will.
kid_lofi is offline   Reply With Quote