Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-28-2015, 04:10 AM   #1
DrewTheJew
Human being with feelings

Default Wondering if it's possible to make rap beats in Reaper?

I'll be honest, I'm the stereotypical 18 year-old who illegally obtained FL Studio about a year ago and made beats on it. I am prepared for the learning curve of not being able to completely rely on the step sequencer and piano roll. I am dead broke for the next few weeks, but I don't even have 100 dollars to spend and was wanting to go down the righteous path of not pirating DAWs and VSTs anymore. So, seeing as Reaper is supposed to be pretty good, and dirt cheap, I was wondering if it is possible to make rap beats like these that I have made in FL Studio using sample packs, vst's, soundfonts, etc. I know all the mixing capabilities are there. Link to my beats:https://soundcloud.com/graverembeats
I generally produce nothing but rap beats, I hope to become good enough to lease them out at some point and make some profit. If it is possible to reproduce the same types of beats in Reaper, then I definitely plan on trying out the demo and buying it in the near future once I get used to the interface. I still have yet to download it but it looks promising. I have a dream to become the first successful hip hop producer to exclusively use Reaper...and maybe FLS in the future if I somehow manage to get a spare 200 dollars.

P.S. Because of my poor financial situation, the only pieces of external equipment I own are a laptop and a pair of headphones (the bare necessities).
DrewTheJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:22 AM   #2
mete0r

Here is what I made with reaper, a drum sample pack and a couple of free plugins (in addition to reaper's great ones).

It's not rap and not actually that good, but should convince you that you can make ANYTHING in reaper, not just what is conventionally done with it (more generally, you can make anything in any daw, but my personal opinion is that you can make anything FASTER in reaper :P)

It's not done yet, the sampled part is a placeholder for an intro, but this is just a quick export to show you what I made in an afternoon worth of "work". I also don't have a subwoofer so I have no idea what's going on down there.

http://ge.tt/5hEx4Q92/v/0
mete0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:24 AM   #3
joelsampson

Sure. The main problem is REAPER does not come with VSTi instrument plugins. However, there are many wonderful FREE and LEGAL plugins you can download. Search for free vsti. I also list a few links on my website below. I'm working on more links for my book (finally in progress). Plus tons of soundfonts and SF2/SFZ players. It takes some effort, but you end up with sounds you like and that fit your music.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:28 AM   #4
The Byre

I think the word you are looking for is 'Yes.'

I spent 12 years working in hip-hop/rap, back in the day (1980-92) when it was still fresh and fun and we did it all on tape. Today, everybody is using something else. Dr. Dre still goes to tape, but his guys use ProTools to box things together, Ted Riley is on Studio One and I know a load of guys using Reaper. Most of the hits seem to be in Logic nowadays, but there's no 'easier' or 'possible' - they all do pretty much the same thing, but you will find using Reaper a whole lot faster and more intuitive than the others.

Also, Reaper is moving faster - developments just happen faster.
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:34 AM   #5
DrewTheJew

Ok sweet, and I already have like 10,000 samples downloaded and ready to use haha. Just gotta get some vst's and stuff. The only issue will be figuring out how to convert the WAV files to MIDI files so that I can edit them on the piano roll in Reaper.
Oh and I couldn't listen to the song, Mete0r. Im assuming it is an .ogg file, but my computer is downloading it as a text file.
DrewTheJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:11 AM   #6
rcl

No need to convert the wavs really. Load them into a sampler like the reasamplomatic 5000 (included with reaper ) or pick up the tx16wx which has a very usable free version. Then trigger them with the piano roll or better yet the js mega baby sequencer also included in reaper. If your splicing beats the tx16wx maybe a better option.

http://www.tx16wx.com/
Old 01-28-2015, 05:14 AM   #7
whiteaxxxe
Banned

you cant convert wav to midi.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:24 AM   #8
mete0r

Just a terminology issue I think. Reasamplomatic is the equivalent of the sampler in fl studio that allowed you to play samples on the piano roll (I think it lacks a bunch of features of the fl sampler but you should be able to do pretty much anything you need)
mete0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #9
Junke

Coming from FL Studio, then Ableton Live i feel the midi editor a bit cumbersome compared to the ones i┤m used to.
Editing audio, mixing and routing are Reaper┤s strength, so i recommend digging in to the slice and stretching capabilities of Reaper.

Example of this workflow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R5ZtISJ398

I did a few trap style beats in Reaper, kick and snare as audio clips (as their patterns are not that busy), hats and percussion sequenced with the built in step sequencer "megababy" into NI Battery (i guess Reapers sampler will do fine for this). If you set up your shortcuts to your liking the workflow is almost as fast and it felt much more surgical to design/layer sounds.

Edit: If you want to sequence drums from the midi editor (again, into Reasamplomatic), switching the event view to diamonds/triangles helps too.
Junke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #10
The Telenator
Banned

Ableton is great for taking other people's samples and stuff and turning it all into your very own tunes. Best part is, you don't need to really ever open the manual. Also, it comes with enough plugins to bail you out. A couple of them are actually what I consider passable quality. It's a magic machine. Trust me, Ableton does it all for you, and you'll be a star by the end of next month. It's a magic machine. No real work required. It plays loops forever. Just drop in anybody's samples. Poof. Done!
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #11
poeticmadness

totally possible. though i have to agree with what has been said already, the lack of included instruments is going to be a hurdle. then again, you said you had a boat load of samples so you're probably going to be fine.
if you want to stay legit, you could also download the fl demo and just use that to create your beats. then just kick them out to reaper to mix and lay vocals over. also, you could eventually pick up the fruity edition of fl which basically doesn't function for much more than a drum machine, and i think that's like 59 bucks. you get the awesome piano roll and all the bells and whistles that go with it, and you still have Reaper for everything else. Much as I love me some Reaper, FLs piano roll just kills everything else out there.
Either way, Reaper is a perfectly usable platform for any music. whats going to matter most is whether or not the workflow suits you and what you're doing.
poeticmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #12
The Telenator
Banned

Yeah, Fruity Loops (now FL) is the other one they use. Doesn't Live, though, have a couple of instruments? Can't recall -- been so long since I demoed. it.

Hey, Drew, don't forget about us when you get famous, okay?
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote