Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
samsome123
Human being with feelings

Default looking for a famous rock song in multitrack

hello am looking for a famous rock song in multitrack (20 tracks at least) to open up in reaper

thanks
samsome123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsome123 View Post
... a famous rock song in multitrack (20 tracks at least) to open up in reaper
I'm not sure this would be legal. What do you think?

Here are some multi-track recordings that are available for practicing mixing. (I'm guessing that's why you were looking for the other)

http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#AndrewCole.

Check out the companion book for this website, "Mixing Secrets For the Small Studio", its very good.

Enjoy.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
samsome123

well i don't know i think its legal if they gave it out there, but i guess they wouldn't...

i don't know i prefer to see how the "pros" recorded, i just want to see a famous song, i'm sure its not rocket science like not too much different from the ones you said though
Old 09-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
clepsydrae

It would be really great if someone could talk a dozen or two famous artists into releasing the bare tracks from a bunch of famous songs (recent and older) for the sake of community remixes, and those of us interested to hear what those famous recordings were starting with as raw material would find it invaluable, I'm sure.

Nine Inch Nails does this, if they strike your fancy:
http://remix.nin.com/
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsome123 View Post
i'm sure its not rocket science
in fact it is. not so really legal - illegal is the sharing, not really the downloading, and I explicitely do not encourage you to do the following - is to use Google and search for example "bohemian rhapsody 24 track". (of course, the search is not illegal, what you do when you find it is your decision/problem.)

to keep the long story short, I got years ago my hands on it (its the 24 track second generation, where other 24 tracks were already mixed down to and some tracks were stems) and I tell you: it is rocket surgery and brain science all in one. wtf.

also there are videos on youtube Brian May and an engineer explaining the how to for Bohemian Rhapsody.

ok, that is not the average example, but you get a good grasp of what people do, if they are commited to get the best thinkable result.

also, read the books about how the Beatles did it, our all founding fathers. :-)))) and what the techs at Abbey Road did together with the Beatles. that is a bunch of knowledge, you will miss if you dont have it.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
also, read the books about how the Beatles did it, our all founding fathers. :-)))) and what the techs at Abbey Road did together with the Beatles. that is a bunch of knowledge, you will miss if you dont have it.
I totally agree but would maybe also suggest that Mike Oldfield is also key in lots of ways (the first solo player/producer/engineer/arranger to develop his music in tandem with the technology?)
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
Lokasenna

Keeping in mind what whiteaxxxe said, if you look around on the torrent sites you can find a few massive packs of multitrack files from the Rock Band games... tons of songs there.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
samsome123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Keeping in mind what whiteaxxxe said, if you look around on the torrent sites you can find a few massive packs of multitrack files from the Rock Band games... tons of songs there.
they're multitrack but i guess its not the full thing? i don't know, those multitrack are only like 7-8 separate tracks
Old 09-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #9
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFury View Post
The Rock Band/Guitar Hero rips are processed, mix ready stems, no raw tracks. The Bohemian Rhapsody suggestion above (which I myself got to put my own solo in) is your best bet, along with the Trent Reznor stuff.
Killer Queen is out there too. What amazes me is that all the sounds are there in the multis.

Lots of Motown tracks out there too, and those can be a huge lesson in simplicity.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
ProfRhino

Legal, cheap and thousands to choose from :
http://www.karaoke-version.com/custombackingtrack/
quality mostly varies between decent and stunning imho, all real recordings, mp3/320 CBR.
You buy a custom backing track, then you can customize (mute/solo tracks) them in their web interface (Flash unfortunately) and download as many versions (i.e. individual tracks) as you like, no restrictions.
I use them a lot, for practising, teaching and stuff, just mute your instrument(s) and there you go.
Tempo mapping is a breeze, as (with a few rare exceptions) they also have a click track with optional count-in.
Just don't use their pitch feature, it's hideous, pitch in Reaper instead.
Well worth a try at $3 a song, imho.
have fun,
Rhino
ProfRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
ashcat_lt

There are some vids on YouTube that have the individual tracks for some AC/DC stuff. Not exactly original quality, of course. I was kind of surprised at how poor some of the edits are in Angus's solos. I know the album versions quite well, and you don't really hear it in the full mix, but when you take that one track out you can tell that it's just a total hack job of a comp with clicks and pops and in some spots it's like they cut in the middle of a sentence and dropped in something where he was talking about something else entirely. Just goes to show how forgiving a good mix can be in masking those sorts of things.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
I totally agree but would maybe also suggest that Mike Oldfield is also key in lots of ways (the first solo player/producer/engineer/arranger to develop his music in tandem with the technology?)
yes, sure, Mike Oldfield. hadnt him on the screen, because I dont like his music except "Tubular Bells". but that has nothing to do with his astonishing abilities in music.

Prince ... try to build that - any song - in you DAW. unbelievable.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #13
whiteaxxxe
Banned

the Beatles - we are stepping into slippery territory here. if that waht I write next is against any policy of the forum, I apologize and ask the moderators to feel free to delete that post. :-)

so we all know what a torrent site is. and we all know that there are a lot of Beatles bootlegs out there, I assume, everything that was ever bootlegged from them is on the internet.

amongst all that are complete sets of recording sessions of the Beatles from Twickenham and of course from Abbey Road. on these recordings - more footages - you can listen to the birth and growing up of Beatles songs. very interesting, and very embarrassing in some cases. the Beatles abandoned some songs, because they werent going anywhere. just like any other band does also. and you can hear, how from a sub-demo to a megahit the things are done and everything falls into places.

so ... Google is your friend. and there are somethings out there, that can only be leaked by Paul McCartney himself. but that you have to find out by yourselves ... hint: "Carnival of Light". :-)))) the long version. where from you can learn, how to do it ... not. :-))
Old 09-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #14
samsome123

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
the Beatles - we are stepping into slippery territory here. if that waht I write next is against any policy of the forum, I apologize and ask the moderators to feel free to delete that post. :-)

so we all know what a torrent site is. and we all know that there are a lot of Beatles bootlegs out there, I assume, everything that was ever bootlegged from them is on the internet.

amongst all that are complete sets of recording sessions of the Beatles from Twickenham and of course from Abbey Road. on these recordings - more footages - you can listen to the birth and growing up of Beatles songs. very interesting, and very embarrassing in some cases. the Beatles abandoned some songs, because they werent going anywhere. just like any other band does also. and you can hear, how from a sub-demo to a megahit the things are done and everything falls into places.

so ... Google is your friend. and there are somethings out there, that can only be leaked by Paul McCartney himself. but that you have to find out by yourselves ... hint: "Carnival of Light". :-)))) the long version. where from you can learn, how to do it ... not. :-))

hey i found something on this,

but are they in multitrack? or just takes?