Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
arash_gsf
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and Native instruments guitar rig 5 - How to add more presets?

Hello,

I'm trying to load some more presets to native instruments guitar rig 5, (in reaper) but it doesn't work for some reason.
Well first of all, i'm Using a ScreenReader and navigate with a keyboard, because i'm visually impaired. (very low sight)

i'm launching guitar rig 5 within reaper, by finding and loading up the vst in the fx window.
From there, i believe two windows open, one is the fx window of reaper, and the other is the guitar rig's interface which i can't work with it at all do to it's inaccessibility.

In reaper's FX window, (when VST is added), there is a combo box which lists some presets, which i can easily use them. (there is a plus "+" sign to the right of that combo box, and a button called "Param")

I did some research, and it seems that you have to copy the presets files into your harddrive, then in guitar rig's interface, press option, then scan, to load up those presets. I got a friend to do this for me over TeamViewer, But after that there wasn't any new presets in the preset list of reaper FX window.
I appreciate your help if you got any ideas how can i do this, adding more presets in reaper's fx window, that is.

I'm also sorry for such a simple question... im still a DAW noob.

Cheers
Arash
arash_gsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
DarkStar

Do not apologise for asking. THe mistake would be if you did not ask.
-----------------------------

You are right, the Combo box in Reaper's FX window, to the left of the [+] button will display the presets (but the maximum number in the list is 128). I am not sure where Reaper gets that list from. It is probably supplied by the plug-in.

This limit of 128 lines may be why you are not getting the modified Guitar Rig presets (.ksd file type); they may be added the end of the list.

If you click the [+] button in the FX window you can Export a modified preset as a .fxp file. You can then Import that later. Would that work for you?

Or, perhaps you can reduce the number of .ksd presets down to less than 128 (by moving some to another folder), then do a Scan. Your modified presets may then appear in the list. But, I've never tried this and it may cause problems.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
arash_gsf

Hello,
Thanks for helping!
Exactly, the combo box contains only 130 presets. it would be cool if you could set the range in fx options window, so that you could access all of them if you wanted to.
I just checked this location:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Guitar Rig 5\Sounds
and there were something like 400+ presets, and when i checked reaper's fx window list it exactly listed the first 130 of those presets.

Also i have no idea what do you mean by .ksd files, because those 400 factory presets, plus the ones that i downloaded off the internet have a .ngrr format.

I also didn't understand your first method, What actually happens if i export the lib, and import it again?
Your second method makes sense though, i could move all of the .ngrr files to my external hard drive and leave those that i want and do a scan. it just needs alot of work since i might need other presets as well on the fly if needed to, and again i would need a sighted person to help me with scanning. besides, it might break something.. But i might just give it a try if i can't find any other solution.

How should one use the other presets within reaper using the guitar rig 5's interface anyway? sometimes i have a sighted person beside me so he'd help choosing other presets.

This story also goes with other plugins as well, they just don't care for accessibility, so all i can do is just either use factory presets or ask people to make me one.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
DarkStar

.ksd files:
I was looking at Guitar Rig 4, and that is the file extension used for the presets. Maybe NI changed it for GR5?

My first method:
If you modify a preset then Export it, via the [+] button, as a .fxp preset, you can choose the folder to save it. Reaper keeps a note of that folder location and opens it automatically when you Export or Import another .fxp preset.

So you could build up your modified presets there. And use sub-folders too.

I've thought of something-else but this is painful. Get your friend to load each of the 400 or more GR presets and Export each one as an .fxp preset, into sub-folders. Then you can Import any of them when you need. You may need to buy your friend a meal to get him/her to do that for you.

I'm not 100% sure what you meant by "How should one use the other presets within reaper using the guitar rig 5's interface anyway?" There does not seem to be much keyboard navigation in GR.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
arash_gsf

right, seems that gr5 presets are in different formats.

Thanks for explaining clearly- i see how that method works.
Well, If i wanted to choose from a hard method and the harder one, i would choose the hard one which is your first method, exporting each preset individually, it just might take too long, but it's worth it i guess.
By the way, why i have to use subfolders? can't i just save the files in a folder and just differentiate them with names?

Regarding my last question, i ment that how should one load presets with gr's interface, (with a mous, even), because if i ever manage to find someone to help me out with this he/she wouldn't know how to work with it unless i could tell them how.

Thanks!

Cheers
Arash
Old 07-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
DarkStar

Yes, no need to use sub-folders, unless they make navigation easier.

Loading Presets using GR's interface :

When the "Browser" tab is selected, a list of Rack Presets (combinations of components) is displayed.

In the top half of the Browser are three columns - selecting an entry in any column filters the presets that match the clicked entries. So if I select "Effects" in the first column and "Drums in the second, then 16 matching presets are displayed in the lower half of the Browser.

And I double-click any of the presets to load the "Rack".

In the middle of the Browser is a Search Box, where I can search for a particular preset by name.

Down the bottom of the Browser are [Save] and [Save as] buttons. I can type in various data when I save a new preset.

Also, new tags can be added to the top-half of the Browser by double-clicking in an empty area of the columns. So , for example, I can add a tag in column 1, named "My presets". To add a tag to a preset, I drag the preset onto a tag in the first column, then to a tag in the second column (and, perhaps, then to the third.

This is just a brief summary - much more detail is in the GR Application Reference manual.

Then, there are Components presets which allow me to load up individual components and build my own Rack presets. BUt that's for another day.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
arash_gsf

Thanks alot for helping!
I'll see what i can do then
Old 07-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
arash_gsf

oh well
update: it failed.

we loaded a preset in guitar rig 5, i exported the fxp file.

I did quit reaper and relaunch, loaded the guitar rig on fx window and imported my fxp file, but it just didn't work for some reason. the preset didn't come up.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
arash_gsf

Hello,
Sorry for double posting, but again, for those (later on) who manage to google search to here i'll post updates toward my progress.

So, the method actually worked, that day we've did one of the steps wrongly.

i have managed to save 50-60 presets as FXP files, and now whenever i want them i'll just load them up.
(... 380 presets to go...)

Anyway, would it make sense to suggest the idea of removing the preset list limitation of reaper? will it be very cluttered and clunky visually if the limitation goes off, and reaper could show more than 130 presets?