Old 10-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #41
kenm
Human being with feelings

While I have working note repeat code, I'm having trouble getting the repeated notes to align with the project time signature. I need to study a bit more and then revisit my code.

To take a break from coding for a while, I'm going to start exploring what it would take to create a CSI template and zone file for the ATOM.

Ken
kenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:42 PM   #42
psych

Sounds great, looking forward to it!
psych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:08 AM   #43
Hinfance

Default Can't get ATOM to work at all with Reaper

What a very technical thread this is. I, however, have a much more basic issue - I cannot get Reaper to work with my ATOM. I am running Reaper 5.99 x64, Windows 10 Home. My other control surfaces are an Impulse 61, a Korg X5 (midi through my Behringer UMC 404), and Akai MPC Element. All of these work.

The ATOM works perfectly with Studio One and also with Cubase Pro 10 which I am also fortunate enough to have a licence for. The ATOM appears on the MIDI Devices list as enabled, and I also added the Presonus FaderPort to the control surfaces list.

The error message I get is "The following MIDI inputs (outputs) could not be opened".

Any help getting Reaper to open the ATOM would be very gratefully received.
Hinfance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #44
kenm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinfance View Post
What a very technical thread this is. I, however, have a much more basic issue - I cannot get Reaper to work with my ATOM. I am running Reaper 5.99 x64, Windows 10 Home. My other control surfaces are an Impulse 61, a Korg X5 (midi through my Behringer UMC 404), and Akai MPC Element. All of these work.

The ATOM works perfectly with Studio One and also with Cubase Pro 10 which I am also fortunate enough to have a licence for. The ATOM appears on the MIDI Devices list as enabled, and I also added the Presonus FaderPort to the control surfaces list.

The error message I get is "The following MIDI inputs (outputs) could not be opened".

Any help getting Reaper to open the ATOM would be very gratefully received.
Hi Hifance,

Sorry for the technical deep dive. Do you happen to have the ATOM configured as a control surface as well as a MIDI IO device? This can cause a problem. Is it possible that you also have something else (another DAW?) connected to the ATOM already? I had a problem when MIDIOX was running as it would "lock" the ATOM even though it would show up in the Reaper device list.

By the way, I abandoned using the CSI project for the reasons I stated above. The ATOM is both a control surface as well as a MIDI instrument but Reaper doesn't support that very well. The scripts in my Github repo support the hybrid mode using a dedicated track for MIDI control input.

One way of debugging this is to rename your REAPER.INI file (In RESOURCE Path) and try to connect just the ATOM with a fresh configuration.

Hope this helps,
Ken
Old 03-06-2020, 06:11 AM   #45
Hinfance

Default Can't get ATOM to work at all with Reaper reply

Thanks for the information. I shall try your suggestions in turn. I'll let you know how I get on, although I have another few more pressing tasks to get on with in the short term.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to help, much appreciated.
Hinfance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:15 AM   #46
themixtape

Was looking at the Atom tonight... looks nice. How customizable are the encoders and function buttons on either side? I know they send MIDI CC#s but is it only on Channel 1 and can you not change the number assignments? It would be great if you could. Please let me know, thanks!
Old 07-03-2020, 07:44 AM   #47
kenm

Hi Chris,

When I last looked (FW 3.0), there was absolutely ZERO configuration possible on the ATOM itself. That being said, there's a lot that can be done with scripting.

Take a look here: https://github.com/kmitch95120/Reaper-ATOM-Integration

All of my work is with the ATOM in Native Control mode. In that mode, all CC messages come in on Channel 1 but can be routed to an Alt channel. Currently, I provide an option to route all CCs to a alternate channel, but that could be made more granular to only route the encoders or to route the encoders separately from the function keys.

Let me know if you'd like me to add any options.

Ken
Old 07-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #48
TomBow

Default Please to break it down: Good or Bad

From reading all the above, thetechinical conversations melted my small brain....so break it down fo meh. Is the PreSonus Atom worth the effort to use with Reaper, or is there a better product? I like the form factor of the Atom, the functionality with Studio One, but it appears it doesn't work with Reaper as it does with Studio 1? I am NOT a "power player" by any means. I have basically started my journey with an LX25+ midi controller with pads and found that the pad sensitivity is poor at best. I am looking for pads that will take light taps to trigger, not requiring hard pounding to get to trigger. Please advise and Thank you for your knowledge oh Sensai(s).
"...a young apprentice..."
TomBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #49
bkcontra

kenm,
I am amazed at everything you were able to figure out. Thank you, for doing this and sharing! I mean, you even have versioning and documentation. Top notch!

I was able to get it working on my system with little effort, even though I have only a basic working knowledge of Reaper, and it works great!
bkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #50
bkcontra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBow View Post
Is the PreSonus Atom worth the effort to use with Reaper, or is there a better product? I like the form factor of the Atom, the functionality with Studio One, but it appears it doesn't work with Reaper as it does with Studio 1? ...
I am looking for pads that will take light taps to trigger, not requiring hard pounding to get to trigger.
TomBow,
I'm just starting out as well, but I'm super happy with my ATOM. I spent a lot of time trying to find a good pad setup without spending hundreds, and this is what I came down to (also recommended by The Quest for Groove). It is true that there a little more in-depth integration that the ATOM has with Studio One, but kenm here has done a tremendous job implementing some scripting for Reaper. I am still looking for a replacement for Studio One's ImpactXT instrument, but Sitala seems to be getting there.

I think the pads are great, and do not require hard pounding, but like I said, this is my first device so I don't have a lot of reference.

Good luck to you!
bkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #51
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenm View Post

By the way, I abandoned using the CSI project for the reasons I stated above. The ATOM is both a control surface as well as a MIDI instrument but Reaper doesn't support that very well. The scripts in my Github repo support the hybrid mode using a dedicated track for MIDI control input.
For some reason I missed the reason for abandoning CSI. I have mapped my Icon QCon Pro G2 controller with CSI and it's fantastic. It takes some effort initially, but once it's done, everything is pretty much customizable.

I just got an ATOM for my home setup and will be trying to configure it with CSI. I'd be interested in knowing which part of it didn't work out for you.

Thank you,

SiniArch
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:29 PM   #52
hoani

Default Thank you!

Hi Ken

I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work - especially how clearly you explained everything so even a middle-aged technophobe like me could set up my Atom with Reaper. ; )

Hope you are OK in Cali, really sad with all the fires....stay safe.

Gratefully form New Zealand

Paul
hoani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:21 PM   #53
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenm View Post
Hi Chris,

When I last looked (FW 3.0), there was absolutely ZERO configuration possible on the ATOM itself. That being said, there's a lot that can be done with scripting.

Take a look here: https://github.com/kmitch95120/Reaper-ATOM-Integration

All of my work is with the ATOM in Native Control mode. In that mode, all CC messages come in on Channel 1 but can be routed to an Alt channel. Currently, I provide an option to route all CCs to a alternate channel, but that could be made more granular to only route the encoders or to route the encoders separately from the function keys.

Let me know if you'd like me to add any options.

Ken
UPDATE2: I selected Channel 2 under the MIDI setup rather than "Incoming Channel" and the TRANS section (play/stop/click/record) seem to be working now.

So I had a question about the installation.

I'm able to get the ATOM unit to go into Native Control Mode. (Blue Light)

I added the "\Effects", "\KeyMaps", "\Scripts", "\TrackTemplates" folders and all their files from the "Reaper-ATOM-Integration-master.zip" file into my Reaper Root folder.

I didn't have a "__startup.lua" file, so I didn't have to merge it.

I went in the Actions Menu and imported the "ATOM.ReaperKeyMap"

When I click on the "Actions" pull down, at the bottom it states " ATOM_polling.lua" running.

I don't have the ATOM set up as a Surface Controller. I do have it setup under the Configuration submenu "MIDI Devices" as: INPUTS "ATOM - Enabled+Control"/ OUTPUTS "ATOM - Enable"

The "Stop" button is not bright orange as one of the post stated. I cannot get the ATOM to play, stop, or anything for that matter. I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

update: I did upgrade the firmware to the latest from Presonus.

Last edited by siniarch; 09-28-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #54
siniarch

Now that I got the TRANS section working, how do I enable the pads to be able to send out Midi Notes?
Old 06-03-2023, 04:48 PM   #55
shpako

it's a pity that Ken doesn't appear in this thread anymore...
I need his advice.

but perhaps some of the users who have used his method can help.

I downloaded the materials from the link https://github.com/kmitch95120/Reaper-ATOM-Integration
did everything according to the attached instructions.

Everything (well, almost everything) works as intended.
but, the operation of encoders in the "relative" mode raises questions (this is the mode I need).
encoders bind to plugin parameters as they should, and turning encoders affects plugin parameters... but...
in order for the knob on the plug-in to make a turn from min to max of this parameter, you need to turn the encoder knob by ten (approximately) full turns!!!
Of course, this is not usable at all (except for cases where the FINE tuning is required ))))

Surely there is a way to set up such a function. and i hope someone can tell me how to do it.
shpako is offline   Reply With Quote