Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-25-2020, 03:08 AM   #1
snattack
Human being with feelings

Default Global Midi Transform on Input or before Tracks

I posted this in "newbieland", but got no response, so trying here:

(Original post here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....to_threadtools)

Is there a way of globally transforming a Midi CC event before it reached the Input? Reason for asking is that I have a Doepfer-keyboard that (for some stupid reason) has the expression pedal hardcoded to CC7 (Volume), but I'm using it for CC1 everywhere.

It could be possible to use an external program, like Transmidifier, or fake it through an "input track" that then sends off the midi to the channels, but I'm trying to avoid using any external software (beside VEP), and would like to not fake it through a track due to what seems an issue with a single processor thread taking the full load of anything recorded on the entire send chain.

It seems a bit odd to have to use a Midi CC mapper plugin on every channel. Both Logic and Cubase have the ability to transform any midi input before it reaches the channel strips.
snattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:32 AM   #2
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by snattack View Post
Is there a way of globally transforming a Midi CC event before it reached the Input?
No problem:

1. On the required track, insert JS MIDI Mapper plugin as an inputFX (N.B. NOT as a trackFX)

2. Under Controller Source, select 7 Vol M

3. Under Controller Target, select 1 Mod Wheel M

4. Make sure Clamp Low Value = 0.0 and Clamp High Value = 127.0

5. Make sure Pass through CC source = No

That's it.

You can also save the track setup as a track template so you can reload it instantly at any time in the future.

Last edited by Xasman; 06-25-2020 at 04:11 AM.
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
snattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
No problem:

1. On the required track, insert JS MIDI Mapper plugin as an inputFX (N.B. NOT as a trackFX)

2. Under Controller Source, select 7 Vol M

3. Under Controller Target, select 1 Mod Wheel M

4. Make sure Clamp Low Value = 0.0 and Clamp High Value = 127.0

5. Make sure Pass through CC source = No

That's it.

You can also save the track setup as a track template so you can reload it instantly at any time in the future.
Sorry for being unclear (as I'm not really used to the terminology yet):

It is possible to set this up GLOBALLY, so that it's on all tracks? Without adding a plugin per track that is.

At least both Cubase/Nuendo + Logic has that ability, to transform any midi before it's actually reaching the tracks.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:28 AM   #4
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by snattack View Post
It is possible to set this up GLOBALLY, so that it's on all tracks? Without adding a plugin per track that is.
The first part of your question seems to make the assumption that if it's not possible to process all MIDI input before it hits any particular track, then it must be necessary to set up MIDI input processing on every track, but that is not true.

(AFAIK) Although it's currently not possible to apply Input FX globally (i.e. before the MIDI input signal reaches any particular track), you don't need to add a plugin on every track because you can route the MIDI from the track with the applied input FX to any other track (or tracks). You can also save this as a template so you don't have to set up the routing each time you need it.

However, you would still have to fiddle with the routing if you were to subsequently add a new track or tracks, so a global MIDI transform option would make this a bit easier to deal with.
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:06 AM   #5
snattack

But how will that work when the MIDI is trying to reach the VSTi effect on the current selected channel? It would require some kind of dummy-channel containing the transform-plugin, correct? If that is the case, there are issues with CPU thread count in an routing chain if I've understood correctly, that all tracks in a routing chain (including MIDI) will run on a single core during recording.

Lets say that I have MIDI channel A with a transformation plugin.
A is routed to 1 2 3.
1 2 3 is routed to different FX buses x y z.

When I'm recording anything on channel 1, 2 or 3, the other two channels (that is not currently affected) will run on a the same single CPU core.

If I've understood the CPU usage properly from the forum threads.

Global MIDI transform is such a simple thing, I REALLY like Reaper so far (currently in the transition phase), but sometimes I just don't understand why some rudimental functions is not implemented properly in favour for extremely complex functions.

Anyway, I'm setting up Track Templates anyway, might as well just include the transformer plugin on each.

Best,
Andreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
The first part of your question seems to make the assumption that if it's not possible to process all MIDI input before it hits any particular track, then it must be necessary to set up MIDI input processing on every track, but that is not true.

(AFAIK) Although it's currently not possible to apply Input FX globally (i.e. before the MIDI input signal reaches any particular track), you don't need to add a plugin on every track because you can route the MIDI from the track with the applied input FX to any other track (or tracks). You can also save this as a template so you don't have to set up the routing each time you need it.

However, you would still have to fiddle with the routing if you were to subsequently add a new track or tracks, so a global MIDI transform option would make this a bit easier to deal with.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #6
mccrabney

it's funny that you first posted this question in Noobland

i think that i know what you're trying to do. follow my thread here (nobody responded to that one either). it's not a great answer.

ultimately, this kind of thing is why i run Bidule in between my midi devices and REAPER, connecting the two systems with virtual midi cables.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=227780
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:48 AM   #7
snattack

Lol, maybe it was a bit over the top

OK, I was afraid so. Annoying. I can tip you with Transmidifier: A simple "change midi"-external software. I've used it in everything from large orchestral setups to musical theatre live rigs, it's quite stable.

http://www.bewaryprods.com/software/...ier/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
it's funny that you first posted this question in Noobland

i think that i know what you're trying to do. follow my thread here (nobody responded to that one either). it's not a great answer.

ultimately, this kind of thing is why i run Bidule in between my midi devices and REAPER, connecting the two systems with virtual midi cables.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=227780
Old 07-14-2020, 07:51 AM   #8
mccrabney

wonderful software tip, thanks!
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote