Old 06-03-2020, 05:39 PM   #1
fawudd
Human being with feelings

Default Izotope Performance plummets

MY Izotope plugins (Neutron and Ozone Elements have suddenly become incredibly slow to load and use, and have caused Reaper to crash at least once. It follows my upgrade to 6.11, but I am not sure if that is related. All other plugins seem to be fine. While CPU usage is minimal, I did notice the spls number in the attached image. Does this provide a clue for those of you with more technical experience ?

Last edited by fawudd; 01-15-2024 at 06:41 AM.
fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
EpicSounds

that's the delay.
first number is how many samples of delay the plugin causes, the second number is how many samples total based on the block size.

if your block/buffer size is 1024 but the plugin needs 1400, then the delay comp is 2048.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:19 AM   #3
uksnowy

Do you see any Reaper UI slugishness when you have an Izotope plugin open?
With some, not all, Izotope plugins I get jerky fader update etc when I have, for example, Ozone Tonal Balance control open.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
George Falconer

Default Izotope Free Vocal Doubler

When I load this, Reaper becomes jerky and less responsive, almost like it might crash any second. I don't use the plug in for that reason. Seems odd it's only this one.
George Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
fawudd

In the end, this was due to me selecting the VST2 plugin rather than the VST3. I have both installed, and just chose the first one I saw. I am not sure why the VST2 has a problem, because usually I find the opposite to be true (VST works and VST3 is problematic). Not sure if this is applicable to you, but wanted to pass on that Izotope Tech support was baffled as well. I discovered this just by trying the VST3.

Best
Old 07-10-2020, 06:19 AM   #6
Pintspiller

I'm hoping a RAM upgrade will remove the fatique experienced in Reaper when i use Izotope Neutron.
Pintspiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #7
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintspiller View Post
I'm hoping a RAM upgrade will remove the fatique experienced in Reaper when i use Izotope Neutron.
If you open Activity Monitor (or the Reaper performance monitor) and see your system ram maxed out by Reaper when you insert those plugins, then increasing ram should in fact be the chosen solution. (Your system would starting paging when maxed and you'd have lags waiting for pages of ram to be written/read from your hard drive.)

If you aren't using all your available ram, then an upgrade would do nothing.

You used the word "hoping" which suggests guessing instead of looking at performance metering.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #8
profquad

I just got an izotope bundle since they're on sale, and even if I'm just using one aspect of say RX or Ozone, it gets laggy to the point of being unusable. The only way for it to register clicks is if I disable and reenable the plugin. Both CPU and RAM are staying under 30% usage. GPU is staying cool at 45 centigrade. I'm pretty bummed cause I'd like to play with their various presets to get a feel for what they're doing, but I can only sit back and watch a static oscilloscope.
Playback is fine, I just can't interface with the GUI.
profquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:38 PM   #9
fawudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawudd View Post
In the end, this was due to me selecting the VST2 plugin rather than the VST3. I have both installed, and just chose the first one I saw. I am not sure why the VST2 has a problem, because usually I find the opposite to be true (VST works and VST3 is problematic). Not sure if this is applicable to you, but wanted to pass on that Izotope Tech support was baffled as well. I discovered this just by trying the VST3.

Best
I ran into the same issue again, and the eventual permanent solution was to backdate my video driver! The VST2/3 thing was a red herring. Both versions worked fine for me once the video issue was fixed. I had another display anomaly with XLN XO. I have also had a plugin which could not be resized in Reaper. In all these cases, the plugins worked ok in 2 other DAWs on the same machine. I think Reaper has some unique and interesting way that they handle the display of plugins which causes issues...
Old 12-24-2020, 08:24 PM   #10
profquad

Quote:
I think Reaper has some unique and interesting way that they handle the display of plugins which causes issues...
That seems to be the case. I've noticed the GUI will spring to life even if I just move the FX window around. I recall having this issue with FabFilter plugins too, forget how I fixed it then.

This seems relevant: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219232

Last edited by profquad; 12-24-2020 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:52 AM   #11
Coachz

Quote:

Best
I always pick vst2 over vst3 as I got tired of vst3 plugs forgetting the settings and just playing random sounds. It usually happened after I froze a track and the unfroze it.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 05:55 AM   #12
Coachz

Run resplendance latency monitor

Coachz Repo
Old 12-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #13
profquad

Here's a clue if anyone is following. I've changed nothing that has worked, restarted a few times, and just now closed Reaper then reopened after plugging in an external monitor. Now even using fullblown Ozone 9 it is smooth as silk. There was definitely some video card conflict going on.
Unplugged the monitor and it works fine. Guess it just needed a cold bucket of water dumped on it's head to get things straight.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #14
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by profquad View Post
Here's a clue if anyone is following. I've changed nothing that has worked, restarted a few times, and just now closed Reaper then reopened after plugging in an external monitor. Now even using fullblown Ozone 9 it is smooth as silk. There was definitely some video card conflict going on.
Unplugged the monitor and it works fine. Guess it just needed a cold bucket of water dumped on it's head to get things straight.
are you using a new video card?

Coachz Repo
Old 12-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #15
profquad

AFAIK I only got the one nvidia under the hood, unless someone broke in to my house and did some surgery on my T430 while I took a walk.
I’m just assuming the mini display link to hdmi to the tv broke reaper out of the vicious cycle trying to do the heavy lifting for iZotope’s GUI. From what I’ve read the issue is Reaper only using CPU and having an identity crisis when a VST prefers GPU powered graphics. That would explain why the graphics would work as I moved the window around.
Now I’ve moved on to figure out what I like and don’t like about iZotope sound quality and flexibility.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:18 PM   #16
gkurtenbach

This may not be related to the problem you had, but lately, I've noticed that when I open Izotope's Neutron 3 or Nectar 3 Reaper makes a buzzing noise until the GUI is fully drawn. It sounds like drawing the GUI starves the audio thread of cycles. When I turn off the graphical UI and just have the parameter sliders as the UI, the problem goes away. So it's definitely related to drawing the graphics.

Turning off the Reaper Preference: "Bypass audio while opening plugin config window (good for non-threadsafe VSTs)" fixes the problem!

I don't ever recall having any reason to turn that pref on or if it's on by default but mine was set to on.

Anyway, it's nice not to have the irritating noise as I open up plugins.
gkurtenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:06 AM   #17
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkurtenbach View Post

Turning off the Reaper Preference: "Bypass audio while opening plugin config window (good for non-threadsafe VSTs)" fixes the problem!
this is a weird one. It seems to have opposite effect on Windows Vs Mac.
Seems like its best to have OFF on windows and ON for Mac.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #18
Coachz

If you're on Windows it's not a bad idea to uninstall the graphics driver completely and reinstall the one from the vendor in case you're using a window Supplied driver

Coachz Repo
Old 12-29-2020, 05:33 PM   #19
profquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
If you're on Windows it's not a bad idea to uninstall the graphics driver completely and reinstall the one from the vendor in case you're using a window Supplied driver
Good advice, but I'm already using the most up to date driver from nvidia.. Quite frankly I'm disappointed in the sound and flexibility of iZotope too and I'm looking into getting a refund, unless anyone wants something from their Music Production Suite 4? lol
Old 12-30-2020, 02:13 AM   #20
Zargon the Destroyer

I use Neutron and Ozone (latest versions) and what I see is that when an Izotope window is open, the Izotope graphics are fine, but the reaper meters (for example) which are now background go all stuttery and glitchy.

When the Neutron window is closed, Reaper meters are back to normal.
Zargon the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:27 AM   #21
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by profquad View Post
Good advice, but I'm already using the most up to date driver from nvidia.. Quite frankly I'm disappointed in the sound and flexibility of iZotope too and I'm looking into getting a refund, unless anyone wants something from their Music Production Suite 4? lol
Run resplendance latency monitor to see which driver is the issue.

Coachz Repo