Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 10-23-2020, 12:19 AM   #1
Phazma
Human being with feelings

Default Switch Reaper 6 playrate knob to Reaper 5 version?

I am trying to port elements from a Reaper 5 theme to a Reaper 6 theme and can't make the playrate knob on the transport become what it was in the Reaper 5 theme.
I have seen that in the folder of the Reaper 6 default theme there is a png called "transport_knob_bg_large" which I guess is the knob I am talking about but I can't find that png in the folder of my Reaper 5 theme to substitute the Reaper 6 version as I have done with other elements.

So what could I do to get the playrate knob that I am used to to display on the Reaper 6 version of my theme?
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:43 AM   #2
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Please explain what you mean by a 'Reaper 5 theme' and a 'Reaper 6 theme' - the way themes work hasn't ever changed, going all the way back to the birth of Reaper, new functionality is just added bit by bit while maintaining backwards compatibility to old themes.

For many Reaper elements there are more than one way for a theme to display them, perhaps using different images, which is a creative choice made by the themer. Therefore, the amount of work needed to transfer an element from one theme to another (it doesn't matter what version of Reaper they happened to be created during) will depend on the two themes in question. It might be just images swaps, it might need .ReaperTheme changes, it might well need WALTER to be copied, which possibly might be quite complicated.

Which two themes are you referring to?
Old 10-24-2020, 05:06 AM   #3
Phazma

I have been using a modified version of the Cubic Theme (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219523) which is based on Reaper 5 and now I am switching to the Reaper 6 default theme (for a few reasons) and, in addition to doing color tweaks, I am importing the pngs of some UI elements I like from the Cubic theme by replacing the ones that come natively with Reaper 6.

Here specifically I am referring to the playrate knob on the transport panel.
This one comes with the Reaper 6 default theme:

And I want to replace it with this one, which I don't know if it is a png created by the original themer or a generic Reaper 5 element:

As said I have found an image called "transport_knob_bg_large" inside the Reaper 6 default folder, which I suspect is responsible for the knob, but I have not found such a png inside the folder of the Cubic theme. So I am wondering where this knob comes from and how I can replace the Reaper 6 knob with the other one.

I don't think WALTER is needed as the positioning is identical and I haven't found anything related in the theme tweaker which could influence the .ReaperTheme file. Pretty sure it is just an image that needs to be swapped and I don't know where to look for it.

Last edited by Phazma; 10-24-2020 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:28 AM   #4
Phazma

Edit: Solved.

Last edited by Phazma; 10-24-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:46 AM   #5
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
So I am wondering where this knob comes from and how I can replace the Reaper 6 knob with the other one.
Cubic theme uses the knob_stack.png image for the transport rate. You could use the same image in Default_6.0, but there are caveats.

If you use that knob_stack.png as is and remove the transport_knob_bg_large.png, you'd notice that same knob stack image also being used e.g. for the pan and volume controls, which might not be what you want. And if you rename it e.g to transport_knob_bg_large.png, it will not look and work the same anymore.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:32 AM   #6
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Cubic theme uses the knob_stack.png image for the transport rate. You could use the same image in Default_6.0, but there are caveats.

If you use that knob_stack.png as is and remove the transport_knob_bg_large.png, you'd notice that same knob stack image also being used e.g. for the pan and volume controls, which might not be what you want. And if you rename it e.g to transport_knob_bg_large.png, it will not look and work the same anymore.
Ok thanks, that explains it. Yes the drawback is too big, I will just keep using the Reaper 6 knob then. Not as sleek as it could be, but I rarely look at that knob anyway so in the end it is no big deal.

Also figured out about the other issue, the files I had to modify were the various track_fcomp images.

So that's all I needed to know, thanks guys.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #7
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Ok thanks, that explains it. Yes the drawback is too big, I will just keep using the Reaper 6 knob then. Not as sleek as it could be, but I rarely look at that knob anyway so in the end it is no big deal.

Also figured out about the other issue, the files I had to modify were the various track_fcomp images.

So that's all I needed to know, thanks guys.
you could also use separate knobstacks for the Pan and Volume allowing you to have a differnet look for all 3.

::