Old 10-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
Tod
Human being with feelings

Default Play cursor disappears?

I posted this in the Bug section but I got to thinking it may be more of a themes problem.

Quote:
This has been happening for quite a while, maybe as long as I've been using Reaper 6. Right now I'm using Reaper v6.14.

The playback cursor disappears and then reappears. The amount of disappear time depends on how far the project is zoomed in.
This makes editing very difficult because the play cursor is disappearing for as much as 2, 3 seconds or more.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
Tod

Humm, I thought this had been around for a while but maybe not? I just checked reaper 6.13+dev0820 and it does not have this problem, so it's primarily with v6.14.

I'm going to DL the latest dev version and see what happens.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I'm going to DL the latest dev version and see what happens.
I just checked and reaper614+dev1003_x64 doesn't have the problem either.

It's got to be the Reaper I'm using has gotten corrupted and has been for quite a while over several versions.

So now the question is, how can I start another Reaper without losing much of my customization?
Old 10-14-2020, 02:25 PM   #4
Tod

Quote:
I just checked and reaper614+dev1003_x64 doesn't have the problem either.
Well, I spoke too soon, and the mystery has expanded. When I loaded a project up in v614+dev1003, the problem showed up. so I used Camtasia to take a video of it so I could post it.

While taking the video, the problem was there and the play cursor disappeared for up to 5 seconds. Then when I opened the video in Camtasia and played it, the problem wasn't there? The video showed the play cursor working just fine, even though it disappeared while taking the video?

So I opened up my main version of Reaper, loaded the project and the cursor played fine. But wait a minute, I also had Camtasia open and showing at the same time in my other monitor. When I closed Camtasia the problem was back.

However, on a hunch I opened up Reaper's video even though I didn't have a video loaded so it was blank. Sure enough, the play cursor played just fine.

Haha, so what now??????
Old 10-16-2020, 11:43 PM   #5
xpander

Quote:
While taking the video, the problem was there and the play cursor disappeared for up to 5 seconds. Then when I opened the video in Camtasia and played it, the problem wasn't there? The video showed the play cursor working just fine, even though it disappeared while taking the video?
Sounds kinda similar to what I experienced few pre-releases ago with floating toolbar tooltips. They would hide behind the toolbars, but when I used licecap to capture the problem, tooltips showed just fine there. I had the same problem with official 6.14 and some pres, but default install seemed to work.

After some troubleshooting, I decided to rebuild my regular install. I brought older saved configuration parts in one by one, except reaper.ini which I rebuilt manually to same settings I had previously. There is a fix for the tooltips in current pre-release, but this cursor issue is anyway a different thing...just mentioning this here, because of the same way the problem showed (or didn't show) with video.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Sounds kinda similar to what I experienced few pre-releases ago with floating toolbar tooltips. They would hide behind the toolbars, but when I used licecap to capture the problem, tooltips showed just fine there. I had the same problem with official 6.14 and some pres, but default install seemed to work.
Yes, I know about the toolbar and tips, in my v6.14 it depends on whether the toolbars are locked on top or not. When locked the tooltips are partially hidden behind the toolbar, but unlocked they show on top of the toolbar as they're supposed to.

This cursor disappearing act is very frustrating. I've got some critical editing to do and it's quite difficult when the cursor disappears. I can hear the problem but with no cursor it's hard to pinpoint the position.

I wondered if it's the new 34" monitor I bought, but it's the same on my old 27" monitor that I'm using for a 2nd monitor.

Quote:
After some troubleshooting, I decided to rebuild my regular install. I brought older saved configuration parts in one by one, except reaper.ini which I rebuilt manually to same settings I had previously. There is a fix for the tooltips in current pre-release, but this cursor issue is anyway a different thing...just mentioning this here, because of the same way the problem showed (or didn't show) with video.
I've looked at the Reaper.ini file in notepad++ but I wouldn't have a clue how to change it. I might try a configuration export and uncheck the "Configuration". Since It appears nobody else is having this problem it's got to be something in my Reaper.

Thanks so much for the reply xpander.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:47 AM   #7
xpander

Quote:
I've looked at the Reaper.ini file in notepad++ but I wouldn't have a clue how to change it. I might try a configuration export and uncheck the "Configuration".
Sorry about not being totally clear about the rebuild process I did. I didn't edit the reaper.ini itself, because I would've not known what exactly I should've changed in there and how...given that it was just a guess the problem would be there in the first place.

I have a collection of older exported configurations which I've saved periodically and also every time I've made bigger setting changes. So what I did was to make a new portable Reaper install and import everything else except reaper.ini from an older configuration package.

Then I launched the misbehaving version along with the new install and went through all the options and settings, setting them up manually for the new version. So I didn't edit the reaper.ini itself, but simply made the settings in Reaper which writes the given settings into the reaper.ini. I'm sure there could be some things I missed, but I would deal with them when they present themselves in everyday use anyway.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #8
Tod

Thanks so much xpander, for all your help. So far I haven't been able to fix this problem and it's really messing up my ability to edit the audio.

I've been editing a lot of dialog lately, fixing the pops and sibilance, and the way the play cursor is disappearing, it makes it difficult to locate positions. I can hear the problems but without being able to see the play cursor it's difficult to visually locate them.

Like I've said, this doesn't happen with Reaper-5.

White Tie, if you see this, do you have any possible suggestions?