Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-17-2020, 05:13 AM   #1
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Default Freeze results not always right

When I freeze 30 tracks at once I often run into a problem where 1 or 2 of the resulting tracks are not correct. For example horns that are supposed to play specific line now have glitches in them or synthesizers that are supposed to play specific parts have glitches in them and play the wrong part.

It's as if processor didn't have enough power and just carried on rendering even though it rendered them incorrectly. Is there a way to slow freeze down a little bit so it has more time to process each track?
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:56 PM   #2
Coachz

Any devs hav ideas why this problem exists or how to fix it?
Old 10-23-2020, 07:33 PM   #3
Coachz

Old 10-24-2020, 04:16 AM   #4
SoundGuyDave

I have similar problems with some soft-synths, and since we have no rate control over the freeze process, I've come up with a work-around. It's kludgey, but it IS functional.

Render the tracks as stems at 1x offline, then mute and bypass all the original soft-synth tracks. Import the stems as audio clips, and you're good to go. This will only work well if you've got the parts pretty well dialed in. If you're still developing parts, it's a massive pain in the ass.
SoundGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:06 AM   #5
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave View Post
I have similar problems with some soft-synths, and since we have no rate control over the freeze process, I've come up with a work-around. It's kludgey, but it IS functional.

Render the tracks as stems at 1x offline, then mute and bypass all the original soft-synth tracks. Import the stems as audio clips, and you're good to go. This will only work well if you've got the parts pretty well dialed in. If you're still developing parts, it's a massive pain in the ass.
Thanks for the suggestion but here it would not work because I freeze and unfreeze all the time as four other musicians sitting with me have ideas for changes. Thank you for the idea though
Old 10-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #6
Seldrums

I've had an issue like this once in a while with Omnisphere 2, and in this case, when the session has gotta keep moving, I'd add a new track, send the routing to it, and just print the midi item's audio to the new track and be done with it. It may just be another workaround but it gets the session back on track immediately.

Also, maybe try this:

Preferences > Audio > Rendering > Rendering settings > and check "Limit apply FX/render stems to realtime (good for some plug-ins)

Might take a little longer, but if it works, it would be another easy workaround.

Goodluck Coachz!
Seldrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldrums View Post
I've had an issue like this once in a while with Omnisphere 2, and in this case, when the session has gotta keep moving, I'd add a new track, send the routing to it, and just print the midi item's audio to the new track and be done with it. It may just be another workaround but it gets the session back on track immediately.

Also, maybe try this:

Preferences > Audio > Rendering > Rendering settings > and check "Limit apply FX/render stems to realtime (good for some plug-ins)

Might take a little longer, but if it works, it would be another easy workaround.

Goodluck Coachz!
Thanks for the reply. Wouldn't that setting force my renders to realtime though? I just need a fix for the freeze problem without hosing up the render. Freezing renders real time would really kill my workflow.