Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 03-07-2022, 12:51 PM   #1
Sid
Human being with feelings

Default [Solved] Is Smooth Cropping Automation Possible

Hi, I am using a track envelop to try to smoothly crop and un-crop an image overlay. However, as the video plays, the overlay seems to zoom slightly in and out as well as moving up, down, left, right while the cropping happens.

I have tried a number of different presets posted on the forum, and have not found one that doesn't do this. Does anyone know of a preset that can be smoothly automated in this way? Is there some setting that I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited by Sid; 03-12-2022 at 08:48 AM.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:41 PM   #2
papagirafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Hi, I am using a track envelop to try to smoothly crop and un-crop an image overlay. However, as the video plays, the overlay seems to zoom slightly in and out as well as moving up, down, left, right while the cropping happens.

I have tried a number of different presets posted on the forum, and have not found one that doesn't do this. Does anyone know of a preset that can be smoothly automated in this way? Is there some setting that I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
At first sight it looks like a rounding issue in the cropping preset. I have been struggling with this problem for months until I found that gfx_blit() has bugs with w/h sizes that are not an even number. The trick is to round to even numbers

ex:
gfx_blit(img, crx, cry, crw & 0xFFFE, crh & 0xFFFE)

yes that strange "&0xFFFE" converts to even

Hope this solves your problem.
papagirafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:09 PM   #3
Sid

That seems to be getting me close. In testing, I have found that if the image has a scale factor of 1 (not scaled up or down), it remains solidly in place. Any other scale factor allows for the errors. I will keep looking.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:32 AM   #4
papagirafe

Quote:
That seems to be getting me close. In testing, I have found that if the image has a scale factor of 1 (not scaled up or down), it remains solidly in place. Any other scale factor allows for the errors. I will keep looking.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Sid, here is a smoother cropping preset. It just crops the image so you need to add the stock "Overlay: image overlay" to control zoom and position. Enjoy!

Code:
//Basic helpers: crop
//by papagirafe
//@param cl "crop left" 0 0 1 0.5 0.001
//@param cr "crop right" 0 0 1 0.5 0.001
//@param ct "crop top" 0 0 1 0.5 0.001
//@param cb "crop bottom" 0 0 1 0.5 0.001

E=0xFFFE;
input_info(0,w,h);
cl=(cl*w)&E;cr=(cr*w)&E;ct=(ct*h)&E;cb=(cb*h)&E;
cx=cl;cy=ct;
cw=w-(cl+cr);ch=h-(ct+cb); 
project_w=cw; project_h=ch;
gfx_set(0,0,0,1,mode,-1);
gfx_blit(0,1,0,0,cw,ch,cx,cy,cw,ch);

Last edited by papagirafe; 05-07-2023 at 04:45 PM. Reason: parameter "use alpha" is useless
Old 03-08-2022, 11:41 AM   #5
Sid

Thank you!
That creates a very smooth crop automation. As you suggested, it does cause the image to shift slightly leftward when cropping from the left, so that has to be automated back. But otherwise, very nice.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:09 PM   #6
papagirafe

Quote:
Thank you!
That creates a very smooth crop automation. As you suggested, it does cause the image to shift slightly leftward when cropping from the left, so that has to be automated back. But otherwise, very nice.
Great! One can easily create a variation on the preset that crops at a distance around a central point of choice.