Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 04-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #81
timlloyd
Human being with feelings

That's a great dream
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #82
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yes, you guys have misunderstood us. We don't want MIDI filter to be docked in the Docker! It needs to be docked to the right of MIDI editor! And PLEASE let us click the NAME of the item to switch to it!

I can also verify the issues with main and MIDI toolbar which Subz showed above. I don't like the additional space that's now obviously needed to preserve my toolbar width.

Also, once again, when I open ONE MIDI item, MIDI editor is fine and opens with size and position as saved in the INI file. If I then go and select MULTIPLE MIDI items (across several tracks), it's like the size and position in INI file is completely disregarded, and MIDI editor is opened completely shrunk down! That's a serious bug IMO. It's hard to reproduce, but I get the feeling it always happens when I update to new alpha. Try to look it up, guys, as it's a major workflow killer!

Also, we need an action which would show/hide filter window (docker or undocked) in MIDI editor context!
*1 and yes to all above
Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #83
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Ooooookay.

There are a number of bugs in the toolbar button arranging that will get fixed in a 66a release shortly, but one change that is not a bug is that previously toolbar buttons were always converted to 30x30 regardless of the size of the actual button image. (The images in all the default themes are 30x30, but custom themes might have different button image sizes, or people might have borrowed other images to use for custom toolbar buttons.) Now toolbar buttons will be shown at their correct image size, which is allowed to be anything and not required to be square.

So some of the odd toolbar behavior people are seeing is due to bugs, but some is due to REAPER now respecting the theme image sizes. Once 66a is out we can figure out if any remaining oddness is caused by remaining bugs, or is just because of people's custom image sizes.
very much a bummer for me... to NOT have this "buttons were always converted to 30x30 regardless of the size of the actual button image. "
Old 04-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #84
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Before Reaper goes and supports commandline tools, which require that the command line tools support piping or Reaper would have to render an inbetweener file beforehand, go and grab the Batch Converter frontend from this page.

It'll let you mass convert with any commandline tools.
thanks Airon... yes I have ways to batch convert outside of reaper, which is what I have to do for those files... but thought since they are rather common file types these days that it would good if reaper could handle them directly.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #85
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
Thanks for the feedback we will start bugging you again after 4 is out & stable (with reinforcements! )
Most definitely!

Thanks for letting us know, schwa. Although I'm a bit sad it isn't gonna cut it in the first official v4 release. If it were included, MIDI editor in Reaper could be considered somewhat enhanced, from naysayer's point of view (and that would bring some new users to the table). But ok, as long as it comes along, it's gonna all be good. I hope we won't have to wait for 4.5 or something!

Can we at least get the click-on-item-name-to-switch-to-it going on, in the alpha cycle? Pretty please?

Last edited by EvilDragon; 04-21-2011 at 07:52 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #86
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
very much a bummer for me... to NOT have this "buttons were always converted to 30x30 regardless of the size of the actual button image. "
What do you think the right solution is? If a theme had 32x32 buttons, they were getting squashed and made to not look right. If a user wanted to have a special arrangement where some buttons are bigger than others, they couldn't. Respecting the native image size fixes both of those problems.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #87
El-Rallef

Quote:
Also, MIDI filter docking in the MIDI editor itself is not coming in 4.0, maybe later in the 4.x series.
Good thing too, before this turns into another POV-Ray v3.7, now under construction since January 2005...

El-Rallef
Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #88
caseyjames

I have tons of trouble with the midi editor not opening, docked and at the right size.

Similarly, gluing midi items together clears and closes the midi editor. So if I've carefully selected half of the 300 midi items in a project to display in the editor, one glue action wrecks everything requiring everything to be reselected.

In comparison to constantly having to reselect every other midi item in the project, open the edit, redock the editor, open the midi filter and set the position; docking the midi filter is a non issue.

When gluing items that are among many in the midi editor, Reaper should simply add the glued item to the midi editor list if one or more of the items was being edited.

p.s. The 'open all track midi' functions are not a useful work around if one is using takes, for very obvious reasons.

Quote:
Yes, you guys have misunderstood us. We don't want MIDI filter to be docked in the Docker! It needs to be docked to the right of MIDI editor! And PLEASE let us click the NAME of the item to switch to it!

I can also verify the issues with main and MIDI toolbar which Subz showed above. I don't like the additional space that's now obviously needed to preserve my toolbar width.

Also, once again, when I open ONE MIDI item, MIDI editor is fine and opens with size and position as saved in the INI file. If I then go and select MULTIPLE MIDI items (across several tracks), it's like the size and position in INI file is completely disregarded, and MIDI editor is opened completely shrunk down! That's a serious bug IMO. It's hard to reproduce, but I get the feeling it always happens when I update to new alpha. Try to look it up, guys, as it's a major workflow killer!

Also, we need an action which would show/hide filter window (docker or undocked) in MIDI editor context!
caseyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #89
musicbynumbers

Default thanks schwa! ;) having any size buttons could come in very handy! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
We can always use justin's handy app to resize them all right Schwa?
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #90
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
We can always use justin's handy app to resize them all right Schwa?
You mean Snap Ease http://www.cockos.com/snapease/. That would do the trick.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #91
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Most definitely!

Thanks for letting us know, schwa. Although I'm a bit sad it isn't gonna cut it in official v4 release. If it were included, MIDI editor in Reaper could be considered somewhat enhanced, from naysayer's point of view. But ok, as long as it comes along, it's gonna all be good.

Can we at least get the click-on-item-name-to-switch-to-it going on, in the alpha cycle?
It now can be docked left or right (of a docked to the arrange midi editor) and will close when you close the midi editor (just need it to re-open too)

That's not too bad but no good for people who use it in a separate editor.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #92
EvilDragon

...and I use it as a separate editor, so yeah, that's no good for me. Well, waiting on v4.x then.

Anyways, I still think the issue of MIDI editor opening with wrong size and position in certain unpredictable cases is something that needs to be looked into!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #93
Solar

Quote:
Schwa just zipped it up and trying to upload to the stash but it's 11 mb compressed (16 not compressed) how big a file can you put on the stash?

EDIT: too big for stash, could email to support if you can take a 12meg zip?

Really should streamline my toolbar icon folder at some point, is this a cause of the problem?

going to fresh install 4 soon too to see if that cures my load up probs.

Or for quick stuff, i use this one here, very quick:

http://ge.tt/

Cheers!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #94
WyattRice

Default V4 Snap Settings

schwa,
The new snap setting is working great!
Could there be an option to leave the snap settings window opened, or pinned/docked?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #95
musicroom

I love the new sizes for the toolbar icons.

I'm trying to find out if I can easily move toolbar actions from one toolbar to another without starting over. ??

I have too many on my favorite custom toolbar in the smaller size.

DM
Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #96
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicroom View Post
I love the new sizes for the toolbar icons.

I'm trying to find out if I can easily move toolbar actions from one toolbar to another without starting over. ??

I have too many on my favorite custom toolbar in the smaller size.

DM
copy and paste works but last time I checked it only did one at a time
Old 04-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #97
musicroom

Quote:
copy and paste works but last time I checked it only did one at a time

Thanks - I'll give that a try. I was dreaming for a minute and hoping to drag from one toolbar to another. Then I woke up.

DM
Old 04-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #98
geoffroy

Looks like there's a problem with the toolbar icons size in alpha 66 with Classic 1.x theme.
[img]http://img716.**************/img716/5339/toolbarzt.png[/img]
Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #99
Airspeed

: )

v4.0alpha66a - April 21 2011
+ (66a) Undo: big improvement in undo/redo speed (should be closer to v3.x)
+ (66a) Toolbars: fixed button sizing for images with pink lines, tweaks to button arranging logic
+ (66a) Project Bay: various optimizations, bugfixes and memory leak fixes

+ Toolbars: optional double-width text buttons
+ Render Dialog/Batch Converter: allow incrementing filenames on demand to avoid overwriting
+ Render Dialog/Batch Converter: wildcards for tempo, time signature
+ MIDI Filter: dockable, remembers its last position and size
+ MIDI Editor: actions to move/trim left/right edge of notes to edit cursor
+ MIDI Editor: action to cycle through MIDI items follows the same order as the MIDI filter window
+ MIDI Editor: avoid deadlock when step sequencing using realtime MIDI inputs (cherry-pick to 3.x)
+ Playback: fixed anticipative FX RAM/CPU/playback issue when starting playback past end of project -- please test this so we can put it in 3.76 too
+ DDP export plug-in (thanks to Sergej Marsnjak!)
+ Snap: option to snap cursor to edge of media items on any track
+ Media items: clicking fade-in/out acts like clicking media item if no fade-specific mouse modifier is set
+ Media items: clicking fade-in/out sets cursor to fade end/start (similar to media item edge click)
+ Theme: theme/toolbar updates
Airspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #100
run, megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffroy View Post
Looks like there's a problem with the toolbar icons size in alpha 66 with Classic 1.x theme.
[img]http://img716.**************/img716/5339/toolbarzt.png[/img]
Still getting tiny buttons in 66a with the classic theme.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #101
vidalsh

66a doesn´t show toolbar at the top main...
vidalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #102
RoyBatty

Quote:
Also, MIDI filter docking in the MIDI editor itself is not coming in 4.0, maybe later in the 4.x series.
I'm sure you will, but please keep the option to dock the MIDI filter anywhere … not just the MIDI editor. I use a dual monitor setup, and it works perfectly docked to the left edge of the Arrange area on my right monitor, with the left monitor free for only the Midi editor. I can toggle it open and close nicely with the F key, when I want to expand the arrange area.
RoyBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #103
WyattRice

Default Alpha 66a

If I have a few custom toolbar icons in the default 4 theme, then switch to a custom, or classic theme, the default 4 custom icons remain.

Last edited by WyattRice; 04-21-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Edit
WyattRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #104
EvilDragon

BUG: Custom floating toolbar icons from previous versions are NOT shown in Customize menus/toolbars.

[IMG]http://img709.**************/img709/3791/ftools.png[/IMG]
Old 04-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #105
Melvin J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
schwa,
Could there be an option to leave the snap settings window opened, or pinned/docked?
+1

Yeah, this would be really great to have. I'm surprised this isn't possible already and would be a great workflow enhancer. I'm convinced I would probably use the snap dialog more effectively if I could keep 'er open all the time, if I wanted.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #106
Airspeed

v4.0alpha66b - April 21 2011
+ (66b) Toolbars: more fixes to arrangement logic
Airspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #107
vidalsh

now runs well

only 2 questions...

why icons shows more lighed in others themes butons?

and for the theme team...I don´t like pan knobs at the end, could be posible to pan faders by default and knobs by layouts?

and about meters you could be assume automatic vertical/horizontal meters by default like this: ?
vidalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #108
gwok

personally, I think undo is still brutally slow and has been since days one for me (last summer). Sure an empty project with 4 tracks, undo is zippy, but as soon as I have a real project with busses and Vst's, I actually try and avoid undo as it's just so slow. It was one of the first things I noticed about Reaper, i made threads etc etc. If you ask me it's still just not cutting it. It shouldn't take 4 seconds to undo 1 automation point.

I'm sure it's better now for some, though Im sticking to my guns on this one, undo is still brutally slow.
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #109
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennetng View Post
Apart from docking the MIDI filter in the MIDI editor, please make the MIDI filter more resizble. Now the minimum size of the MIDI filter is too big and wasted a lot of space. The piano key on left hand side should be resizble too.
First, thanks to the developers for the new features of this latest alpha. They are fantastically useful for me

Secundo, it's true that a resizable docked MIDI filter would greatly improve space management in the main view.

... and why not a collapsible piano key/MIDI CC panel to provide further space? That would be useful. I wouldn't go for resizing on that one. Just collapsing and bring it forth when used.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #110
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidalsh View Post
now runs well

only 2 questions...

why icons shows more lighed in others themes butons?

and for the theme team...I don´t like pan knobs at the end, could be posible to pan faders by default and knobs by layouts?

and about meters you could be assume automatic vertical/horizontal meters by default like this: ?
Also, nick's RADO theme has a great ability to make it's labels automatically sideways when making the TCP really thin horizontally.

This would be amazing in the default theme (if it hasn't been put in recently)
Old 04-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #111
run, megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
Still getting tiny buttons in 66a with the classic theme.
And with 66b.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #112
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
personally, I think undo is still brutally slow and has been since days one for me (last summer). Sure an empty project with 4 tracks, undo is zippy, but as soon as I have a real project with busses and Vst's, I actually try and avoid undo as it's just so slow. It was one of the first things I noticed about Reaper, i made threads etc etc. If you ask me it's still just not cutting it. It shouldn't take 4 seconds to undo 1 automation point.

I'm sure it's better now for some, though Im sticking to my guns on this one, undo is still brutally slow.
Do you have VSTs set to save undo state as this maybe part of it?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #113
Melvin J.

Okay, umm, where did the Media Explorer go? It's totally gone now. I even tried to access it via the Project Media/FX Bay under source media and also the media items tab, nada.
What happened to the ctrl. alt x shortcut for the Media Explorer?
Am I missing something here?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #114
run, megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin J. View Post
Okay, umm, where did the Media Explorer go? It's totally gone now. I even tried to access it via the Project Media/FX Bay under source media and also the media items tab, nada.
What happened to the ctrl. alt x shortcut for the Media Explorer?
Am I missing something here?
You may have accidentally unchecked it in the installer. I did the same thing a while ago. It's here in 66b for me.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #115
gwok

Quote:
Do you have VSTs set to save undo state as this maybe part of it?
If you mean in the Prefs>compatibility - I've tried both options, there is no difference. Undoing an automation point (say volume) is equally slow on a track without a VST or buss. I've tried every tweak suggested and posted threads, like I say from day one, I was like - whoa what's up with the undo, and it still hasn't changed. Pardon the off topic whining, but it's true. Admitedly it is in bigger projects that where it suffers, though just because there's 40 tracks, it doesn't mean undoing 1 automation point should bring it to a grinding halt - imo

I'm a bit ranty, though undo doesn't cease to frustrate me daily, hence i try to avoid it as much as possible - which sucks
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #116
Kundalinguist

Quote:
schwa,
+1000 This is what I was thinking last night while working with 66a. The window kept slipping away from me whenever I clicked elsewhere. Then I thought to myself:

"Self," I says, "it would be good to have ALL the main toolbar features with windows to also have pins to keep them in front." And then I realized that this "Self" character was onto something.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #117
BenK-msx

resizing a floating windowless toolbar as small as it can go leaves it a complete bugger to resize up again - minor though irritating!

all the other stuff - fab. thanks.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #118
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
resizing a floating windowless toolbar as small as it can go leaves it a complete bugger to resize up again - minor though irritating!

all the other stuff - fab. thanks.
Also mentioned here
Old 04-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #119
BenK-msx

Quote:
Also mentioned here
indeed!
no harm in a wee bump..
Old 04-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #120
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post

Hi,
Im thinking u have a mac issue..xp32 here, or the mac equivilent of ur Reaper.ini needs to be rebuilt.I had slow undos and general sluggishness starting somewhere in the v4alpha cycle.but now undos are IMHO faster than ever in 66b.Rename ur AppData Folder..or whatever its called on mac....and see if this helps.btw this is with 64 or so track in a project that uses 1.2 gig.Hope this helps ...

Guido
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote