Old 09-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
Ed Zeppeli
Human being with feelings

Default Lowering Pitch to sing high harmonies?

Sooooo, I have this tune I've been working on and it's ready for vocals. I have MIDI triggered drums using Short Circuit and about six audio tracks for various guitars.

Since I'm just a humble home recordist I'll be doing all the singing myself but would like to add a high harmony that is out of my vocal range. I'd like to lower the pitch at least a step, maybe even 3 semi-tones to bring the key down for recording this track only.

Is this something I can do fairly easily with Reaper? Will it sound unnatural when brought back to concert pitch?

Any input and advice is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Warren
Ed Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
tls11823

Pitch shifting often results in noticeable artifacts, but if your harmony part is tucked in the background with EQ, reverb, etc., you may get away with it. As a baritone that has trouble with high notes, I find it best to do the harmony parts below the melody. That may be worth considering in your case instead of trying to use audio magic.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
DuraMorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
back to concert pitch?
Pitch-shifting might get you partway there, but in the future, you might consider detuning your guitars a half- or whole step, to allow easier reaches to the higher harmonies. I always record a whole step down for this exact reason.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
Is this something I can do fairly easily with Reaper?
You can do it with the Playrate fader (some call it VariSpeed recording). Rightclick increase/decrease by the desired amount. Record. When done set the fader back to 1.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Ed Zeppeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
Pitch shifting often results in noticeable artifacts, but if your harmony part is tucked in the background with EQ, reverb, etc., you may get away with it. As a baritone that has trouble with high notes, I find it best to do the harmony parts below the melody. That may be worth considering in your case instead of trying to use audio magic.
Ya, I may have to go that route but really wanted the impact of a higher harmony.

Tks
Old 09-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Ed Zeppeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraMorte View Post
Pitch-shifting might get you partway there, but in the future, you might consider detuning your guitars a half- or whole step, to allow easier reaches to the higher harmonies. I always record a whole step down for this exact reason.
Yes, this was one of those 'written as recorded' pieces and I didn't have the foresight to de-tune or transpose.

thanks
Old 09-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #7

F2 -> elastique pro 2.1 (lowest pitches)
works a wonder!
4.33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Ed Zeppeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
You can do it with the Playrate fader (some call it VariSpeed recording). Rightclick increase/decrease by the desired amount. Record. When done set the fader back to 1.

Thanks, I'll look for that; I don't want to have to pull out the 'Nut Constrictor' to reach those notes.