Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
OB, CA
Human being with feelings

Default Action List - Make Current Item Longer from Midi Piano Roll

Hi gang!

I love reaper, new licensed user here.

It took me a while to figure out, and still working thru some setup items, but when I discovered action lists i was completely sold.

What I want to do is 100% of my midi edits from the keypad. Have it setup and its working pretty well right now.

Three items I'm still puzzling over, did a few searches on wiki/threads but no luck:

1) How can I make the current item longer by a measure, w/out using the mouse from the piano roll?
2) Is there a way I can set velocity on new notes? (as opposed to edit existing note velocity)
3) Is there a way I can flip back to the main arrange window, or pass on key commands to the arrange window? Basically, I'd like to be able to select next/prev midi items, or go up/down tracks and select midi items there, and have them open up in the editor window automatically.

Thanks in advance.
OB, CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
EvilDragon

1) As far as I know you cannot do that currently.

2) The velocity of the last note edited is the velocity the next note(s) are going to have when they're created. Otherwise you can just select the notes, right-click and enter Note Properies, and there you can enter the desired velocity.

3) You have action "Misc: Pass through key to main view". Just assign the keyboard shortcuts that you're using in main view to this command, and you'll run the command that's not in MIDI editor. For example, over here Shift+C is for entering a new timesig/tempo change. Since there's no such command for MIDI editor, I assigned Shift+C to the above mentioned action, and what do you know, I can now add timesig/tempo changes from MIDI editor
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
OB, CA

thanks man!

1) feature request? Because--being able to work on say a 4 bar loop, then hit a key combo and get a 5 bar (+1) or 8 bar (x2) item would be hot, as would going from 8 to 2...but keeping the 8 bar length (2 bars repeated 4 times). I think I could action list a way around it, but it will be imperfect at best.

2) It doesn't seem to be sticking. I'll try again tonight.

3) Awesome! I didn't fully understand that. I had assigned that to backspace and was thinking if i hit backspace it would pop me up to main window. I have backspace assigned to open midi item...but this is better!

if I made ctrl+alt+num pad duplicates in the main window of important actions, then I can stay in midi editor and still do what I needs to do. Very nice. Loving reaper...key pad editing here i come! On a laptop w/touch pad and it was killing my workflow.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
OB, CA

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=471

there, added the expand/contract midi item in.

It seems like everything is ready for this, as when I do the action w/a mouse it shows up in the menu bar. So hopefully we can see this in an update in the future.

I really do think putting extend/contract measure (w/loop) as buttons in the toolbar by default, as well as a "make midi item" in the tool bar would go a LONNNG way to new user usability. Those are the two most important things that have to happen in itb production that doesn't involve multi-tracking, and those things were very hard for me to figure out. I would instinctively right click to insert midi item, no....and then when i had one, i kept repeating it or adding a fader curve.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

It's possible to build custom actions to lengthen/shorten items in several flavors, the problem is how to make sure that one item which you are currently editing in the MIDI editor is the only selected item in main view. Otherwise you can trim other items without noticing.

As long as there is no MIDI section action like:

"Select only current active MIDI editor item in arrange view", (anybody can come up with a better name?)

lots of possible "pass through" magic (and other means of triggering main actions from the MIDI editor via ReaScript) can bring unwanted side effects.

We should request that action officially.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
OB, CA

yeah thats a good point

when i discovered i could setup the num pad to move around the piano roll and put in notes, i was floored

not really sure why its not setup like that to begin with.