Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
egor
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper 6, Midi Hardware Output - not working!

I cannot get the midi hardware output to work.

I have connected my synth (Deepmind 12) to Reaper via usb.
Recording midi from the synth into a track works fine. But I cannot play the track back to the synth when I set midi hardware output to DM12 and corresponding channel.

I have also tried to connect via midi cables thru my audio/midi interface (Behringer UMC2004HD), and also a M-Audio midisport 2x2. Same result, midi in is ok, but no midi out.

But I can play my DM12 when connecting midi from another keyboard directly, so the midi in on my synth is working fine.

BUT this is odd... If I hit Reset All Midi Devices. Midi out is no longer available. The midi hardware output drop-down list is empty. I have to restart Reaper to reset the drop down list..

And...
Yes, I have enabled both midi in and out for DM12 under Midi Devices section in preferences.
Yes, I have checked the midi rx/tx channel both on the synth and in reaper.
Yes, the track is unarmed when playing back.
No, the track or midi item is not muted, no tracks are soloed.
I have connected the audio from my synth directly to the speaker. Audio is not the issue here.

Last edited by egor; 01-24-2020 at 10:37 AM.
egor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #2
hangnef

Same thing is happening w/ me (running 6.08). I'm using the USB of a Behringer Neutron. Neutron MIDI Output is enabled, MIDI Hardware Output is set to the Neutron, no audio output. I have a keyboard controller hooked up to the MIDI port and that works fine.

Last edited by hangnef; 04-12-2020 at 12:29 PM.
hangnef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #3
mpahnm

Is this still a problem for anyone else? I'm brand new to MIDI after years of using Reaper just for audio. I've been through the whole checklist ten times, just like the original poster. I get MIDI clock out, but nothing else. Is this a bug, or user error?
mpahnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
Cedworth

Another one with the same problem.

I've had it work with previous versions. This one has worked a couple of times, but several times I get nothing. I'm not sure what is different each time.
Cedworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:46 AM   #5
eLuSiVeMiTe

Odd. Happily pushing midi on various channels to my mpc Renaissance over USB midi.
Running as a plugin but had no issues in standalone over USB direct and midi through my ai
eLuSiVeMiTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:13 PM   #6
mrthnmn

I'm also unable to send MIDI to external devices. Reaper receives MIDI though. I've tried two different keyboards (both Yamahas).

When I was using Reaper 5 I was able to send MIDI to external synthesizers. Surely by now, someone has found a solution.
mrthnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:20 AM   #7
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthnmn View Post
Surely by now, someone has found a solution.
The total lack of any follow up by all posters who had this issue makes me wonder if they just didn't realise they were doing something wrong rather than it being anything needing a solution.

If you've double checked everything is set correctly, maybe try a portable install to rule out any corruption in your Reaper install?
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:52 AM   #8
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
The total lack of any follow up by all posters who had this issue makes me wonder if they just didn't realise they were doing something wrong rather than it being anything needing a solution.
I doubt that all these guys were doing anything wrong, per se; it's just that USB MIDI devices have a habit of digging their heels in and refusing to work sometimes until you've unplugged them and plugged them back exactly thirteen times while chanting the names of the right gods in the right order.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #9
mrthnmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
... USB MIDI devices have a habit of digging their heels in and refusing to work sometimes until you've unplugged them and plugged them back exactly thirteen times while chanting the names of the right gods in the right order.
I'll have to try that ;-)

To Stella645, I did stop and go through all my settings, to avoid having to come back and say "oops!" I thought, if 4 posters all had the same problem, it's probably a real thing.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:43 AM   #10
Philbo King

If you're on a PC, maybe something in here will help.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=214028
Old 07-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #11
mrthnmn

Well, I'm back to say oops. I fixed the problem by right clicking on Route for the track and selecting MIDI Output | My Interface and selected All. You can also just left click on Route.

I don't know why I didn't notice the Route button before. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:50 AM   #12
borgiaz

EDIT: EDIT Esi MIDIMATE works, but only midi in or midi out at a time. Basically I have to reverse the connections on the keyboard if I want to record or play the synth. It is strange and I don't understand if the fault lies in Reaper or in the Midi interface

Hi, I also have the same problem. New installation of Win10, USB-Midi interface ESI Midimate Ex (it has no driver, it is recognized by windows), Reaper 6.13 x64. I recorded a MIDI track from a Korg M1, so the midi in works.
I tried to play the midi track and directing the out to track 3: it works.
I tried to route the midi out to my interface midi out (yes, hardware midi out is enabled), but no signal reaches the Korg. Tried the same thing on a Roland JD800 and still doesn't work. Some idea? Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reap.jpg (62.3 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by borgiaz; 08-03-2020 at 06:14 PM. Reason: solved
borgiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:32 PM   #13
nolman

Having the same problem with latest reaper and rme ufx midi in 1 and midi in 2 works.
Midi out 1 and midi out 2 don't work.
nolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:13 AM   #14
SantiagoLozano

Default Same here

Hi, im' having the same problem, I have tested hardware output with different synths (all of them activated in midi devices).
Midi in works just fine, but after i record I cannot playback using external sources. (it works with vsts)
Mac 10.14.6
NORD STAGE 2 (USB)
MOOG SUB37 (MIDI cable)
Focusrite 18i20
SantiagoLozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:13 AM   #15
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiagoLozano View Post
Hi, im' having the same problem, I have tested hardware output with different synths (all of them activated in midi devices).
have you enabled the appropriate hardware output on the specific MIDI track?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #16
nikki5000

On Friday a friend brought his Behringer Model D and Arturia Keylab.
It was such a pain to set everything up, but I thought it would be worth it.

Then every time the loop restarted, the arpeggiator was reset, so no chance to use it. The 'reset midi cc on playback loop' settings did nothing. There seems to have been a bug that has been fixed or not - I don't know. It still doesn't work for me.

Especially when you just want to make music, this is a mood killer.
(Then we tried Logic: Plug n Play, everything worked immediately. Sad..)
nikki5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:53 AM   #17
SantiagoLozano

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
have you enabled the appropriate hardware output on the specific MIDI track?
I did... still no solutions
SantiagoLozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:13 AM   #18
beingmf

Same or similar problem! After a few months with everything working alright, today was/is frustrating as hell again. Frustrating as I cannot continue working in (and on) the current project!
I restarted, resetted, checked again and again, it's always the same issue:

I open an empty Reaper project, add a track, route it to the respective Midi output. Working.
Now I load an existing project (which I created 30 minutes ago). Midi output is not working any longer.
I quit Reaper and again load an empty project. Midi output is not working.

What is happening in the backgound/on an OS level which corrupts the whole output until the next restart? After opening an .RPP?

EDIT: Same behaviour when I deleted the respective Midi track, saved and re-opened the RPP and added a new track with the respective Midi output.

Last edited by beingmf; 06-15-2021 at 07:51 AM.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #19
mschnell

Supposedly Windows (?) changed the device ID of the Midi device you try to access. (maybe using another socket ? )

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:46 PM   #20
PdxLuke

As others have said, Everything was working fine in Reaper 5.x but ever since recently updating to 6, I can't seem to send MIDI data to external devices. I changed literally nothing in Reaper or the settings of my synths. Has anyone found a definitive resolution to this yet?
PdxLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:23 PM   #21
PdxLuke

...Anyone at all? The issue still persists here. What about all these other folks above with the same issue? Are you not responding because you resolved it? If so, how? I've scoured the Internet and cannot figure this one out. Please help. This is a major issue.
PdxLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:03 PM   #22
darkswan

Its 2022 and this issue is 2 years old. I am having the same problem with my Deepmind 12. It will not recieve midi from Reaper. I can send midi to my Beatstp Pro with no problem. The Deepmind is not getting the midi data. Im rumnning a fresh OS install of Windows 10 LTSE 2018.
darkswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:35 PM   #23
jkeller51

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkswan View Post
Its 2022 and this issue is 2 years old. I am having the same problem with my Deepmind 12. It will not recieve midi from Reaper. I can send midi to my Beatstp Pro with no problem. The Deepmind is not getting the midi data. Im rumnning a fresh OS install of Windows 10 LTSE 2018.
I had a similar problem a while ago, was discussing it in another thread. The USB hub I was using conked out sometime after that conversation so I bought a different one to replace it, and suddenly MIDI out was working again.
jkeller51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:26 AM   #24
Racal

Same here, unplugged USB, re-inserted..solved.
Racal is offline   Reply With Quote