Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
jmg429
Human being with feelings

Default How to Increase Volume on One Segment of a Track

Hey, I just started using Reaper on Friday and I have two questions (one of which is in the subject line).

So I have a vocal track on which I want to increase the volume of literally one word. However, I can't figure out how to just raise the volume of that one word. When I split the track and raise the volume, it appears that everything across that entire track raises with it. Is there any way to isolate the volume of that one track?

Lastly, does anyone know how to bounce multiple tracks onto one single track (not the entire project). The reason I like to do this is because I often find a good balance between a main vocal track and adlibs but sometimes want them on the same track so I can add more effects or slightly nudge the volume down so they sit better in the mix together.

Any replies are greatly appreicated
jmg429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
msore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg429 View Post
Hey, I just started using Reaper on Friday and I have two questions (one of which is in the subject line).

So I have a vocal track on which I want to increase the volume of literally one word. However, I can't figure out how to just raise the volume of that one word. When I split the track and raise the volume, it appears that everything across that entire track raises with it. Is there any way to isolate the volume of that one track?

Lastly, does anyone know how to bounce multiple tracks onto one single track (not the entire project). The reason I like to do this is because I often find a good balance between a main vocal track and adlibs but sometimes want them on the same track so I can add more effects or slightly nudge the volume down so they sit better in the mix together.

Any replies are greatly appreicated
I do this volume raising on a part all the time. I just split the recorded audio item before and after the soft part, then select that part, then hit F2 (or right click and choose Item Properties) and then raise the Volume bar as many decibels as I feel is needed. Then when that part is glued back in, it is volume-adjusted. Don't know what you mean by affecting other tracks ...

You can treat several tracks as one (with bus-foldering) and that makes it easier to do stuff to all without packing them all in one track. See p 91 in the manual.

g'luck
Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
jmg429

Thanks for the help...I'd actually rather pack them into one track...do you know how to do this?
Old 07-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Tod

Quote:
No need to split the items, just use Track or Take Volume automation. I much prefer Take Volume Envelope for this. Right click on the item and select Take/Take volume envelope. There you can adjust any little audio part to do what ever you want.

Quote:
There are at least a couple of ways you can do this, one is with folder tracks but I prefer Sub-Buses. What I do in this situation is direct all the vocal tracks to a sub-Vox bus where all the FX are. Then it's just a matter of adjusting the gain of the Sub-Bus. Same with the Parent Folder if you choose to use that.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
NAD

Try using Take Volume Envelope.
NAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
babag

aren't there potential issues with the range of some of these? i think the volume envelopes only go to something like +6db whereas item volume can be set in the reaper prefs to a much higher value. i may have this backwards but if, like me, you sometimes get wav files that are recorded low and need to be mixed into a loud project, 6db may not be enough. in the case of this thread's example it's probably not an issue but, hypothetically, it could be.

BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
Andy Hamm

I just hit control-M bring up the mixer, turn on automation for that track and push the fader as I repeat through the snippet until I get what I want to hear.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
ned

Quote:
Is this what you mean?

ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
Is this what you mean?

That's pretty cool! How did you get a volume control to show up on the track lane like that? Is it theme specific or can it be done in any theme?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
aren't there potential issues with the range of some of these? i think the volume envelopes only go to something like +6db whereas item volume can be set in the reaper prefs to a much higher value. i may have this backwards but if, like me, you sometimes get wav files that are recorded low and need to be mixed into a loud project, 6db may not be enough. in the case of this thread's example it's probably not an issue but, hypothetically, it could be.
Yes, you can run out of head room but in those cases I just turn up the item(s) trim like ned is showing, then use the envelopes for fine tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
That's pretty cool! How did you get a volume control to show up on the track lane like that? Is it theme specific or can it be done in any theme?
For me they just showed up one day and have been there ever since. If you don't see them, there must be an option for them somewhere. They're nice and smooth and have a lot of gain, 24db I believe.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
It's the item volume envelope. By default the control is along the whole top edge of the media item and can be dragged up or down. You can set it to the knob shown in the image by going to the Preferences/Appearance/Media. Setting is on the bottom of that page.
ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #12
msore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
No need to split the items, just use Track or Take Volume automation. I much prefer Take Volume Envelope for this. Right click on the item and select Take/Take volume envelope. There you can adjust any little audio part to do what ever you want.
That is true Tod, and I do that too. I think of it in terms of using the appropriate tool (and quickest). If I am working with the whole song, I use envelopes. But when working with a couple of notes or a phrase, I split and apply a local volume change.

There are lots of tools. Reaper is great.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
It's the item volume envelope. By default the control is along the whole top edge of the media item and can be dragged up or down. You can set it to the knob shown in the image by going to the Preferences/Appearance/Media. Setting is on the bottom of that page.
Got it! Thanks, Ned!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
jmg429

Hey just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. It all worked