Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
jaydottcomm
Human being with feelings

Default Where's the computer Genious!

1)Before i get into the main topic allow me to ask: When you buy a pc that is asvertised to have 1024mb of ram on the store tag and the box itself, and the actual CPU properties say 768...is there something wrong there? or could that be accurate?..i dunno..maybe the opperating system is eating 256mb.

2)My new machine has Vista. My old machine has XP. Is there a way to get my old hard drive on my new machine...I heard somebody at the job say dual-boot. I cant afford to spend anymore money.Is there a way to do this?
jaydottcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
Magoostus

1. the company didn't shaft you, you got every bit of RAM that you purchased. Ya see, you probably have an integrated video card that is using your systems ram as video memory. its cheaper for the manufacturers this way.
you might want to check your BIOS setup utility to see if there is an option to set how much system RAM you want to use as video RAM.

2. Ok, well you COULD put that old hardrive into your new computer but... it's not going to boot if you do. windows xp has protections to make sure it stays with the hardware it was first installed with. if you dont like vista (i don't either) you can get rid of it and install windows xp on your new computer without switching the hardrive. now, this is a bit risky because your devices (sound, internet) probably wont work at first because they'll need the Drivers to be installed. thats always a hassle, but totally worth the work once it's done
Magoostus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #3
jamester

Are you saying that when you right-click My Computer and choose Properties, that it says "768 MB of RAM"?

This tells you how much RAM is installed, regardless of what the OS or anything else might use. So if it says 768, then you got 768.

Good luck man...I just got a new machine also, but I stuck with XP.
jamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
jamester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoostus View Post
Ya see, you probably have an integrated video card that is using your systems ram as video memory.
Good point, but would the difference show up in the Properties of My Computer?
Old 05-11-2007, 11:52 PM   #5
Magoostus

it says 768MB because its ALL the computer is able to access, regardless of what OS is on it, they'll all say 768mb, because 256mb is being stolen by the video card. some BIOS setup utilities have options to change how much RAM is used for the video card (like my laptop I can set the video RAM size between 16mb and 128mb and it changes how much RAM is left for the computer)

so, yes, it would show the differnce in System Properties

Last edited by Magoostus; 05-11-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:01 AM   #6
jamester

Quote:
so, yes, it would show the differnce in System Properties
Interesting, thanks I didn't know that. I've never had a computer with on-board graphics, so that's probably why.

I always thought the amount shown in Properties was always the total amount installed. Guess I was mistaken! :-)
Old 05-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #7
jaydottcomm

Default .......

Are you saying that when you right-click My Computer and choose Properties, that it says "768 MB of RAM"?

thats exactly what im saying. Ill check the bios just to be sure.

if you dont like vista (i don't either) you can get rid of it and install windows xp on your new computer without switching the hardrive

cool..but, my computer with all the shit on it i bought from the store and it didnt come with a copy of Windows XP. It was pre-installed...or maybe im not quite understanding....

Man i sure hate all this shit...fuckin stupid! why cant you just go to microsoft website and download XP over this vista..
Old 05-12-2007, 01:12 AM   #8
jaydottcomm

Default ....

Vista has this pop up that all was comes on at the start. Some help deal where it shows your processor and all that. and it says 768mb RAM on mine...if you say the CPU is designating 256 to the memory card how can i change that to like 128 instead...I turned all that flashy graphic shit off.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:20 AM   #9
dungbeetle

Er, guys, sorry to throw a spanner in the works here, but I've got a laptop with 768 meg of RAM installed (two sticks - 512 plus 256) and it has video integration.

'My Computer' shows me 768 meg of RAM (well, actually 752 - close enough) ...

"In the hopes of reaching the moon, men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet." - Albert Schweitzer
dungbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:37 AM   #10
jaydottcomm

Default ....

check this out...i opened the PC up and there are to sticks in ther. Both have stickers that say 512...Yet the stickers look fraud. They arent stuck well on the sticks of ram. It looks peculiar. Acer might be duking folks..ima see if there is any physical numbering on the sticks themselves.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:51 AM   #11
dungbeetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydottcomm View Post
check this out...i opened the PC up and there are to sticks in ther. Both have stickers that say 512...Yet the stickers look fraud. They arent stuck well on the sticks of ram. It looks peculiar. Acer might be duking folks..ima see if there is any physical numbering on the sticks themselves.

Hmmm.

In the ol' days when RAM was real expensive, it might be worth a rip, but now with RAM so cheap, why would a reputable company like Acer risk it?

Maybe 'cos mine's a laptop the OS reads things differently? Don't know really.

EDIT: btw, my laptop is an Acer too!

"In the hopes of reaching the moon, men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet." - Albert Schweitzer

Last edited by dungbeetle; 05-12-2007 at 01:55 AM.
dungbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:01 AM   #12
jaydottcomm

Default .....

well, the ram are both 512 a piece...so ACER is legit. i guess ima have to buy a whole new windows operating system...what a rip off man.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:10 AM   #13
manning1

jay..
what model acer do you have ??
i'll look up the specs n advise u further.
you didnt get ripped off.
i have acer. a v pleasant experience so far.
be aware that any computer has certain overheads.
for example....friends of mine that run insane low levels of memory then expect to run lots of tracks and vst's etc
always have trouble.
cos the OS itself needs a certain amount of resources.
when you have the buks jay consider adding more memory possibly.
but see how it goes currently. memory is cheap.

let me add....make sure you do regular housekeeping cleanups on
your pc..particularly if your on the net a lot trying different programs. make sure you avoid build up of lots of *.tmp files for example n other junk. but dont delete something if win
screams at you.
in summary ..running a pc is a lot like running a car.
it needs certain maintenance.

did this system come with one hard drive ??
if so...and u anticipate useing a huge number of tracks/effects etc etc....consider a second drive. dirt cheap now.
particularly 16mb cache is good.
all the best.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:11 AM   #14
lyquist

Quote:
well, the ram are both 512 a piece...so ACER is legit. i guess ima have to buy a whole new windows operating system...what a rip off man.
I would be willing to talk to you about this. I have my own computer business, so I know what I'm talking about it. Send your questions to darren@outlandcomputers.com and I'll try to help you.
lyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:58 AM   #15
Magoostus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungbeetle View Post
Er, guys, sorry to throw a spanner in the works here, but I've got a laptop with 768 meg of RAM installed (two sticks - 512 plus 256) and it has video integration.

'My Computer' shows me 768 meg of RAM (well, actually 752 - close enough) ...
not all integrated video chips do this, but it looks like your video card is stealing 16mb of ram too

Last edited by Magoostus; 05-12-2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:00 AM   #16
lyquist

I would recommend not getting an Acer as well. Just my professional opinion. I know that some of them may be good, but I'm not impressed with their build quality, and in the computer world, you usually get what you pay for to be honest. It may be worth your time and money to pay someone local to put you together a machine specifically for audio. You may pay a little more, but you will be happier in the long run. I would also recommend not going with Vista if you are doing audio. I've already tried with no luck. Reaper will work, but there are no drivers for my soundcards. My onboard sound works fine in Vista though, so at least I can listen to music. Oh well.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:05 AM   #17
lyquist

Quote:
Vista has this pop up that all was comes on at the start. Some help deal where it shows your processor and all that. and it says 768mb RAM on mine...if you say the CPU is designating 256 to the memory card how can i change that to like 128 instead...I turned all that flashy graphic shit off.
You will need to go into the bios and set how much memory your integrated graphics is using. I never use integrated memory in desktops because I liek haveing the full amount of ram. I currently have 2GB in my recording machine which I find is plenty for what I do. I could probably get by with 1GB, but I just wanted to be safe. I also have a Seagate 320GB SATA drive dedicated just to recording as well.

My next machine will probably be a workstation type machine with multiple processors and some type of SCSI for storage. I just hate slow machines to be honest.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #18
mr. moon

Quote:
not all integrated video chips do this, but it looks like your video card is stealing 16mb of ram too
On many desktop systems you can control the amount of memory the integrated video card uses in the system BIOS. I would agree that yours is most likely set to 16 MB.

-mr moon

www.soundclick.com/mrmoon
mr. moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #19
Magoostus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyquist View Post
I would recommend not getting an Acer as well. Just my professional opinion. I know that some of them may be good, but I'm not impressed with their build quality, and in the computer world, you usually get what you pay for to be honest. It may be worth your time and money to pay someone local to put you together a machine specifically for audio. You may pay a little more, but you will be happier in the long run. I would also recommend not going with Vista if you are doing audio. I've already tried with no luck. Reaper will work, but there are no drivers for my soundcards. My onboard sound works fine in Vista though, so at least I can listen to music. Oh well.

DIDDO! Its what the pro's do!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #20
jamester

Quote:
It may be worth your time and money to pay someone local to put you together a machine specifically for audio. You may pay a little more, but you will be happier in the long run. I would also recommend not going with Vista if you are doing audio.
A big +1!

My new computer is a Purrrfect Audio DAW from Jim Roseberry, custom built to my specifications. It is a mean machine, and comes with none of the bloat that you get with an off-the-shelf machine (and is XP). It is stripped down to the essentials and then tweaked further for audio By Jim, so it's good to go right out of the box! I'm still adjusting to how fast this bad boy is!

Secondly, it ended up being considerably cheaper than buying another Vaio or comparable name-brand, and if I ever have a problem I can call or email Jim, instead of being on the phone to India for generic tech support.

And did I mention that I saved money? ;-)

http://www.studiocat.com/index_files/Page423.htm

Don't go by the prices on his sight; he will send you a quote and trust me, you'll be pleased!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #21
jaydottcomm

Default ok

Model: MT300A(On the computer it says AST-180-UD-360A)
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core processor 3600+; 1GB DDR2 memory; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive; 250GB hard drive; Windows Vista Home Premium

"On many desktop systems you can control the amount of memory the integrated video card uses in the system BIOS"

Where would this be in the BIOS? I went in there and checked but found nothing. I went to the NVIDIA properties and see it says Dedicated Video Memory 256..so i think thats whats taking the chuck of ram. Id love to change that to 128.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #22
manning1

jay....
did u already buy this acer ?? its not a intel core duo2...
but theres more to it than just the processor.
i was surprised at the performance of the one drive that came with my acer.
even tho not a core duo 2 your acer should still do a heck of a lot of work for you unles your into crazy track counts and softsynths/fx coming out the ying yangs.
in which case core 2 duo of course or a quad or a coming octo.
on my acer i havent had to tweak anything hardly.
i just installed reaper n my other audio software and its run like a champ from day one.
yes..building yourself is a nice idea...but even for a bloke like me wasnt worth it in the end.

have you installed reaper yet jay. ??
the other thing u may not be aware of....and it looks like
you have a similar model to me is...acer did a crafty move.
there is a server class chipset inside mine (and i suspect yours also). that seems to be a nice touch. for performance.

what i would do jay is install reaper n just see how she plays out.n run tests. or return the machine if its not the performance you want ...cos my song projects rarely get past 40 tracks. but if your happy look at getting say a second hard drive to record to .eg caviar SE16 is a hi performance drive with 16 mb cache and 300mb/sec thruput.

in no way can i say the acer is crap.
i disagree completely.
big woody has acer also..and like me is happy.
PROVIDING one isnt expecting insane track/fx/softsynth counts.

ps...i looked up the model jay.
its a model down from the one i have.
can u return it if unhappy ??

Last edited by manning1; 05-12-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #23
charles.monteiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamester View Post
Interesting, thanks I didn't know that. I've never had a computer with on-board graphics, so that's probably why.

I always thought the amount shown in Properties was always the total amount installed. Guess I was mistaken! :-)
yeah, hmmm, I'll admit that I'm more of a software guy i.e. I program for a living and I must say that I'm not sure about that. Unless, we all are not talking about the same thing. If in XP one pops properties on the "My Computer" icon on the launcher my understanding is that the general tab will show the "installed" ram, regardless if the video card is using system ram i.e. has no ram of its own. Now, if you check your memory via Task manager that's a different story. Also Vista may be doing things differently.

I'm going to have to check that out anyhow
charles.monteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #24
jaydottcomm

Default yeah

Vista has a thing called Welcome Center that pops up and shows how much ram and operating system and all that...and it says 768
Old 05-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #25
jaydottcomm

Default look

heres a screen shot

Last edited by jaydottcomm; 05-12-2007 at 01:05 PM. Reason: screenshot
Old 05-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #26
jaydottcomm

Default 768

heres the control panel
Old 05-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #27
jamester

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.monteiro View Post
yeah, hmmm, I'll admit that I'm more of a software guy i.e. I program for a living and I must say that I'm not sure about that. Unless, we all are not talking about the same thing. If in XP one pops properties on the "My Computer" icon on the launcher my understanding is that the general tab will show the "installed" ram, regardless if the video card is using system ram i.e. has no ram of its own. Now, if you check your memory via Task manager that's a different story. Also Vista may be doing things differently.

I'm going to have to check that out anyhow
Right Charles, I've always thought the same thing. Atleast in XP, I think this is right - the amount shown is the total amount installed.

To flip it for example, I have two gigs of RAM and a 128mb NVIDIA card. But only the two gigs show in My Computer Preferences; the other 128mb isn't added on...so why then would it be subtracted the other way around?
Old 05-13-2007, 12:30 AM   #28
JPV

Quote:
Jeeez.... lighten up dude.
JPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:15 AM   #29
keyman_sam

Download SiSoft sandra. It'll tell you everything you need to know as to what physical ram you actually have, what the system is using, etc.
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:30 AM   #30
lyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamester View Post
Right Charles, I've always thought the same thing. Atleast in XP, I think this is right - the amount shown is the total amount installed.

To flip it for example, I have two gigs of RAM and a 128mb NVIDIA card. But only the two gigs show in My Computer Preferences; the other 128mb isn't added on...so why then would it be subtracted the other way around?
If you have integrated graphics, it will subtract from your total ram. XP and Vista do the same thing.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #31
scottdru

Quote:
My next machine will probably be a workstation type machine with multiple processors and some type of SCSI for storage. I just hate slow machines to be honest.
Why do you need SCSI? These days, most typical IDE drives have PLENTY adequate sustained data transfer rates for more tracks than most people will use in typical album recording projects, even at ludicrously high sample rates. Even good quality PATA drives will be plenty fast, and even better with SATA.

With SCSI, you add heat and noise to your computer (not good when the computer sits in the same room with very sensitive mics), as well as expense, only to add performance you are unlikely to ever use.

I would think for your purposes it is better to put that money into making your computer as silent as possible.

Sometimes bleeding edge of the market performance is not the best thing to use for DAW computers . . . ultra high performance gaming video cards is another area that can be a trouble spot for DAWs. They can cause conflicts with sound cards designed for low latency recording, etc., and you don't need all the 3D rendering for DAW work.

In certain ways these things are a bit like putting formula one gearbox on a tractor is going to be used in pulling competitions (or vice versa). One is built for top end speed, and the other is built for solid pulling torque at the lower range. Probably not the most precise metaphor, but hopefully the point makes it through.

Last edited by scottdru; 05-13-2007 at 11:12 AM.
scottdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:18 AM   #32
todd24

I would be curious to know if changing the RAM settings would effect performance in a meaningful way. I suspect that your machine would have no RAM issues for me at all. But then I dont use huge sample libraries either so........... maybe it would make a differance for you?
todd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #33
jaydottcomm

Default ok

thank yall for your input. I guess the graphics card being builtn onto the motherboard is whats doing that. Regardless, i posted another thread about how much better an AMD64X2 is than a P4 and shiiiit...the answer is "WAY" better like Justin had said. I would get clicks and pops (Asio 256) with like 6 Soft Synths and 5 effects(P4). With the AMD3600 i got like 14 Soft synths and almost 30 JS Delay effects later i finally get clicks and pops. HUGE! difference.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #34
thectrain

Just as a side note if you are using the built in video card anyway you may look at purchasing a cheap video card. You can get them for about $60-$100 that should be comparable to the built-in video and should free up the main memory.

Then I would assume that the video can be turned off in the BIOS and you should reclaim that lost ram. The RAM < 1GB to me is important because windows and other assorted programs that are running taking up quite alot of that. So having 756mb available most likely leaves you with only about 512mb or less.

Just a thought.
thectrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #35
manning1

scottdru...
i agree with you re scsi. anyone wanting a decent drive at a reasonable price i would suggest check out the
wd se16.i think now they also do higher capacities...
http://www.hardware-review.net/html/...rticle&sid=177
for a review in the article above.
price is around 70 buks if i remember from newegg n others.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #36
JPV

Quote:
How in the fuck is that supposed to be a ripoff?

You knew that it had Vista on it when you bought it... didn't you?
JPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #37
jaydottcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPV View Post
How in the fuck is that supposed to be a ripoff?

You knew that it had Vista on it when you bought it... didn't you?
Actually i did...are you burning up inside?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #38
Gerry G

Default You can always buy a cheap PCI graphics card

I did just that for my olde computer.

The downside is that it may interfere with ohter things but as Jim Roseberry said, you can just download a free utility like Doubledawg, and pay a minimal fee of $10 or something for the more advanced auto version which resets these things and stops a graphics card from hogging any more resources than you want it to.

That will free up some of your onboard resources for more important things like music.

I really wish someone like Jim would move to Australia, we have sunny beaches and lots of beer.

I would have got him to do a dedicated daw if he had been even in the country. Unfortunately shipping rates mean sending a machine forward and back is a bit pricy but I am considering it.

If I were you I would go with the Jim option as he seems generous with his advice and clearly knows how to get the best performance.
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:16 PM   #39
charles.monteiro

Quote:
thank yall for your input. I guess the graphics card being builtn onto the motherboard is whats doing that. Regardless, i posted another thread about how much better an AMD64X2 is than a P4 and shiiiit...the answer is "WAY" better like Justin had said. I would get clicks and pops (Asio 256) with like 6 Soft Synths and 5 effects(P4). With the AMD3600 i got like 14 Soft synths and almost 30 JS Delay effects later i finally get clicks and pops. HUGE! difference.
but it seems that Intel now with the Core2 technology has basically left AMD in the dust according to some articles I read back around December. Now, they have the Core2 Quads which seems to be another leap.
charles.monteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:17 AM   #40
jaydottcomm

Default ok

they may leave AMD in the dust...thats cools i can do what i need just fine on this AMD