Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #1
TabbyCat
Human being with feelings

Default The awesome "sleeper" feature of v5.984

+ Actions: add action to set media item playrate from user-supplied source media tempo

It shows up as this Action:

Item properties: Set item rate from user-supplied source media tempo/bpm...

...which allows you to enter a bpm, and it will conform the selection to that BPM. I've only been using Reaper 5 months, but have wanted this from the get-go. If you work with a lot of tempo-sensitive assets, this is killer!
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
EpicSounds

That's the main one that caught my attention as well. I don't think it's enough to make a video about it but yeah, great addition.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
TabbyCat

Already has a dedicated button in your lovely web remote
Attached Images
File Type: png WRB_bpm.png (3.3 KB, 325 views)
Old 10-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
_Stevie_

Even one step further would be: get the source tempo from the wave file and apply it.

EDIT: ah there is: Script: me2beats_Match selected items tempo to project tempo.lua

EDIT2: the script above will unfortunately only measure the length and adjust the playrate accordingly.

Last edited by _Stevie_; 10-14-2019 at 07:26 PM.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #5
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
+ Actions: add action to set media item playrate from user-supplied source media tempo

It shows up as this Action:

Item properties: Set item rate from user-supplied source media tempo/bpm...

...which allows you to enter a bpm, and it will conform the selection to that BPM. I've only been using Reaper 5 months, but have wanted this from the get-go. If you work with a lot of tempo-sensitive assets, this is killer!
Is this in effect the same as the 'tempo match' feature of Reaper's media explorer (before the item is dropped into the project).

I assume it is, but this allows you to make the tempo match after the item is already in the project or if you're drag+dropping from outside of Reaper?
talustalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:09 AM   #6
winbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by talustalus View Post
Is this in effect the same as the 'tempo match' feature of Reaper's media explorer (before the item is dropped into the project).

I assume it is, but this allows you to make the tempo match after the item is already in the project or if you're drag+dropping from outside of Reaper?
Hi,
for that I only use the "alt"+ drag right edge of item, which streches it. With snap enabled this is ultra fast.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by talustalus View Post

Yup, great way to look at it! Only difference is you're explicitly giving it the BPM, as opposed to Media Explorer trying to divine it for you.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
_Stevie_

New detection features have been added in the recent pre!
Old 10-15-2019, 04:48 PM   #9
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbe View Post
Hi,
for that I only use the "alt"+ drag right edge of item, which streches it. With snap enabled this is ultra fast.
Great tip, thanks!
Old 10-15-2019, 04:50 PM   #10
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
Yup, great way to look at it! Only difference is you're explicitly giving it the BPM, as opposed to Media Explorer trying to divine it for you.
Pretty neat.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:15 PM   #11
TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
New detection features have been added in the recent pre!
Aha! If you mean those three pertaining to "Media" - that's great! [trying to respect the request to not talk about pre's, outside the pre forum
Old 10-18-2019, 03:23 AM   #12
winbe

I think I am a bit lost - could not try the feature yet, but I don't understand, by reading your comments, what it is supposed to do...

What I would love to do in some circumstances, is to say to a given item that it should, or should not, stretch following the tempo.
For now I have a global setting somehwere I guess, that make everything stretch to follow the tempo, which is very nice, but for some items I would like them not to change, and keep the initial "rate" I set for them.

That would be really nice, and maybe this is exactly what you are talking about?
Old 10-18-2019, 03:32 AM   #13
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbe View Post
I think I am a bit lost - could not try the feature yet, but I don't understand, by reading your comments, what it is supposed to do...
For example, if you have a stem you have previously recorded at 130 BPM in some other project, and you load it in a new project that runs at 136 BPM, you can select that item and enter a specific known BPM that the source material is at. In other words, you enter 130 as the source tempo, and the item playrate will be adjusted so that it will play in sync at 136 BPM (in this case the playrate will be more than 1.0, and the stem will play faster).
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #14
kirk1701

I'm going to experiment with this immediately.

What if you want to bring in a reference track that does not have a consistent tempo? Is this still a tempo mapping concern, or does Reaper 'read' the item somehow?

Last edited by kirk1701; 10-18-2019 at 07:33 AM.
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #15
winbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
For example, if you have a stem you have previously recorded at 130 BPM in some other project, and you load it in a new project that runs at 136 BPM, you can select that item and enter a specific known BPM that the source material is at. In other words, you enter 130 as the source tempo, and the item playrate will be adjusted so that it will play in sync at 136 BPM (in this case the playrate will be more than 1.0, and the stem will play faster).
Hm... thanks!
Very nice! This avoid what I was doing manually, using a calculation to compute the new speed rate! I understand now!