Old 05-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #1
JulioCesarF
Human being with feelings

Default Having a playback issue.

Hello, I'm currently experiencing issues on playback while using Reaper. Right now, I'm recording some podcasts for a studio with Reaper v5.974, using a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, with all drivers up-to-date (checked twice before posting this).

During recording everything goes swell and it doesn't look like anything is wrong. It never stops or skips, never shows any dialog error box, etc. The problem is when I play back what I recorded. The playback has some skips, seemingly in random places. Its sounds exactly like a record skipping a few miliseconds (as if, there's no silence. It skips a part of what I recorded).

I've been trying to solve this issue for a month now and its driving me insane. Can you please help me?

My specs:

PC Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-core Processor 3400 Mhz
RAM 8GB

If you need any other info, let me know.
JulioCesarF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #2
foxAsteria

preferences/audio/device/asio config increase your buffer/latency value.

You can also try running LatencyMon to see if other system drivers are causing interference.

For deeper understanding:

You can enable RTCPU monitoring by right clicking in the Performance Meter.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
JulioCesarF

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
preferences/audio/device/asio config increase your buffer/latency value.

You can also try running LatencyMon to see if other system drivers are causing interference.

For deeper understanding:

You can enable RTCPU monitoring by right clicking in the Performance Meter.
I ran LatencyMon, to these results:

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
CONCLUSION
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:15:03 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: MINIMA-PC
OS version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17763 (x64)
Hardware: AB350-Gaming 3, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., AB350-Gaming 3-CF
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor
Logical processors: 12
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 8142 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 3394 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 4660,10
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 3,922718

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 4656,60
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1,174713

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 195,064231
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0,020919
Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0,023227

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 137757
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 7171,054803
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: ndis.sys - NDIS (Especificação de Interface de Driver de Rede), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0,012721
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 419.35 , NVIDIA Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0,040218

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 1458040
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 95
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 2
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 2
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: avp.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 5717
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 3567
Number of processes hit: 61

Apparently, I have something running in the background that's causing all this. I don't have a WLAN adapter, as the computer is connected to the internet via a ethernet cable. I'm going to disable those CPU throttling setting and run it again.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #4
foxAsteria

Oh wow, that's some very significant interference. Get all your drivers up to date. DriverBooster is pretty good for it, generally but be sure to back up and do a system restore point first.

In LatencyMon, go to the Drivers section and order it by Execution (ms). The drivers at the top of the list are the ones to look into. Try disabling them one by one from the Device Manager to isolate the main offenders.

You can disable your display adapter and keep running your system to rule that out. It's pretty common with nVidia cards to see these issues. Is it a laptop?
Old 05-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #5
JulioCesarF

No, its a desktop. I'm gonna disable those drivers then, see if I can pinpoint the problem.