Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 07-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #1
svijayrathinam
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone brave enough to test reaper with Mac OS Catalina beta ?

Hello, has anyone tested reaper with Mac OS Catalina beta? Any known issues? Wouldn’t it make sense to test now so that reaper is ready when Mac OS Catalina releases ?
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
cyrano

Beta testers are bound by an NDA. Don't expect too many comments beyond "Reaper runs fine"...
Old 07-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
Meo-Ada Mespotine

I also wouldn't bet on the reliability of such tests too much. MacOS-betas are known to be changing a lot sometimes, so a "Reaper works fine" in one beta may change to "not working" in the next beta or the other way round.

The devs probably wait for the final release to do the necessary tweaks with the finalized one to avoid having to tweak/fix stuff twice, if necessary at all, doing other important stuff in the meantime.

At least, I would do it that way.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:55 PM   #4
todoublez

Don't do it, if u wanna keeep yo job. lol
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:17 PM   #5
SNO_King

Default Catalina... Proceed with caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
Hello, has anyone tested reaper with Mac OS Catalina beta? Any known issues? Wouldn’t it make sense to test now so that reaper is ready when Mac OS Catalina releases ?
Yes I did... and then formatted it once I found that giving Reaper Full Disk Access and making it an admin level account didn't work neither.

Now, It does get close, it installs, it scans all the plugins, but then crashes.

I have not installed clean. I intend to try it next. Update prob come out before I get a chance to post.. but...
SNO_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 PM   #6
#pragma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNO_King View Post
Yes I did... and then formatted it once I found that giving Reaper Full Disk Access and making it an admin level account didn't work neither.

Now, It does get close, it installs, it scans all the plugins, but then crashes.

I have not installed clean. I intend to try it next. Update prob come out before I get a chance to post.. but...
Well, release came around....and I upgraded to Catalina. No problems at all - as long as you're not dependent on SWS extensions. Catalina has an issue with its shared library.

Feeling slightly smug, I got on with it....until today's Reaper upgrade. Now, perhaps predictably, instead of Reaper, I have a MacOS X pop-up that says:

"REAPER64" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

Lovely.
#pragma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:15 AM   #7
todoublez

Quote:
Originally Posted by #pragma View Post
Well, release came around....and I upgraded to Catalina. No problems at all - as long as you're not dependent on SWS extensions. Catalina has an issue with its shared library.

Feeling slightly smug, I got on with it....until today's Reaper upgrade. Now, perhaps predictably, instead of Reaper, I have a MacOS X pop-up that says:

"REAPER64" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

Lovely.

You r too brave to upgrade yo OSX.
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #8
cyrano

The biggest issue, atm, is iTunes. Users who depend on using their iTunes lib for other programs, like Mixxx, are in for a surprise. iTunes has been replaced by Music. And the xml export of the new app isn't the same.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/07...-file-support/

A second surprise is that there's no easy way back for some. You can't rely on your Time machine backup in some cases.

If your TM bu isn't connected when upgrading, it can't be touched. But if it is, Catalina seems to change it. That results in being unable to downgrade. But even if your TM disk was in the closet at the time of upgrading, it's not certain it can be done. APFS/T2 seems to be the likely culprit.

APFS also has a feature called "snapshots", that should make it easy to go back. Alas, doesn't work to go back from a major upgrade.

It seems wise, atm, not to upgrade to Catalina.

Me, I'm hanging out on EC.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
spblat

Quote:
Originally Posted by #pragma View Post
instead of Reaper, I have a MacOS X pop-up that says:

If you Locate reaper in your applications folder, right click it and open, you can tell macOS you want to open it regardless. Then you won't be prompted again.

SWS is sadly broken until it's properly signed or whatever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poop.jpg (52.1 KB, 362 views)
spblat is offline   Reply With Quote