Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 05-01-2022, 05:45 AM   #1
darjama
Human being with feelings

Default reaMIXed: The Reaper Mixing Contest - May 2022 - Villain

REAPER CONTEST - May 2022
(ONLY REAPER PLUGINS ALLOWED)

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: reaMIXed.com

MIXING: 1-16 May
VOTING: 20-26 May
RESULTS: 28 May

This month's track, chosen by last month's winner JerZee, is "Villain" by Eryck Bry and Carla, courtesy of the Plugin Alliance Mixed by Mega series. There's 50 studio tracks to work with, should be fun!

Please remember:

-NO GLUING OF FILES
-ONLY NATIVE REAPER FX -or- non-Native JSFX files that you include with your submission.

Also, I'd recommend taking advantage of the new normalization settings in the reaper rendering dialog to meet the LUFS and dbFS requirements. My suggested workflow would be:

1. Normalize to -14 LUFS.
2. If your mix peaks at or under -1 dbFS, you're done!
3. If your mix peaks over -1 dbFS, rerender it normalizing to -1 dbFS.

MixCheck (https://reamixed.com/mixcheck/) is still beta, it can help you by analyzing your .rpp files before you upload to:
- Make sure your they don't contain disqualifying audio files
- Make sure your they don't contain disqualifying VST/AU plugins
- See what non-native JSFX files you need to include in your zip file
- See what impulse files you need to include in your zip file

NOTE that Mix Check DOES NOT upload your mix, only checks your project file on your local machine.

Once Mix Check has been tested I may not require you to send in the mixed flacs, just the project files, jsfx and impulses. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.

You can download the multitrack from the website or clicking on this link.

Again, no prize this month, aside from the customary track-picking privileges for the next month's contest.

Happy mixing!
-Daryl

IMPORTANT
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 02:50 PM   #2
JerZee

Default Challenging song to mix

I have chosen this song because I personally think this is a very interesting and challenging song to mix. you can take the mix in many different directions. It has got elements of dance, techno and even rock. It has got many tracks and you need to figure out what instruments to put upfront on each moment of the song and how and where to place them. And the vocal especially is very important to get right. It is what can make it or break it. And last but not least there is room for creativity with effects in this style of music. So have fun! Hope you like it.
JerZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:05 PM   #3
Trogdor

I can't say that I am a fan of this tune. I just don't think that I can handle listening to this track over and over again and then have to judge 20-30 others mixes of this song. I'm going to sit this one out.

Hopefully next month has a better song for me. Good luck to everyone that mixes this month!
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:32 PM   #4
MisterGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama View Post
Once Mix Check has been tested I may not require you to send in the mixed flacs, just the project files, jsfx and impulses. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.
That sounds like a cool development. Although it does add to your workload.

Is Render Normalisation part of the project? I use it sometimes.
MisterGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:56 PM   #5
darjama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGTR View Post
That sounds like a cool development. Although it does add to your workload.

Is Render Normalisation part of the project? I use it sometimes.
It shouldn't affect my workload much. I open each project file anyway to check it follows the rules. And forcing submissions to go through mixcheck would cut down on my communication about missing files. I'd use reaper normalization to make sure it doesn't surpass the LUFS or dBFS limits. And it would allow me to skip a step where I import all the submissions into a project where I collect the loudness and start time offset stats.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:31 PM   #6
BanzAndrey

I have to say that the choice of song didn't please me very much, I started mixing it as if it were a job but I ended up preferring to do something else, I'll try to be in the next one. See you guys!
BanzAndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:48 AM   #7
WaveTrans

Well, I like the song, and I think it is a good choice.

I couldn´t find any track specs in the zip and I couldn´t locate it in the cambridge repository either.

Does anyone know the tempo and sample rate, please?
WaveTrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:27 AM   #8
JPe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveTrans View Post
Well, I like the song, and I think it is a good choice.

I couldn´t find any track specs in the zip and I couldn´t locate it in the cambridge repository either.

Does anyone know the tempo and sample rate, please?
It's 75bpm and 41.1k

Btw there's a really good Kenny-vid called ´finding the song tempo´ on yt.

Btw 2: I like the song too. Not my favorite song ever but it should be really fun to mix (hope I find the time). So good choice.
JPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:24 AM   #9
WaveTrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPe View Post
It's 75bpm and 41.1k

Btw there's a really good Kenny-vid called ´finding the song tempo´ on yt.

Btw 2: I like the song too. Not my favorite song ever but it should be really fun to mix (hope I find the time). So good choice.
Cheers, thanks!

Naturally , I watched this video from Kenny (and many others). Hardly ever managed to get a reasonable result, though.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:25 AM   #10
PVinKC

I use 1 of 2 options. First, I just tap the tempo button in time with the music until I see consistent times and that's usually close enough for me. On the other hand, I downloaded a tap tempo app for my phone. Either works fine.

As for the sample rate, I just right clicked one of the tracks and clicked get info. I'm on a MacBook Pro, so no idea if windows gives you something similar. But it does show the sample rate there.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:51 AM   #11
WaveTrans

Thanks.

Couldn´t find anything regarding the tempo in the track infos.
Can´t say if this is due to windows.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #12
PVinKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveTrans View Post
Thanks.

Couldn´t find anything regarding the tempo in the track infos.
Can´t say if this is due to windows.
I should have specified that the tempo is not embedded in the info, but the sample rate is. Sorry if that was confusing.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:21 PM   #13
MisterGTR

Quote:
It shouldn't affect my workload much. I open each project file anyway to check it follows the rules. And forcing submissions to go through mixcheck would cut down on my communication about missing files. I'd use reaper normalization to make sure it doesn't surpass the LUFS or dBFS limits. And it would allow me to skip a step where I import all the submissions into a project where I collect the loudness and start time offset stats.
Cool - anything that makes your life easier is good with me. I know how much time i've wasted of yours by not having everything ready before MixCheck!!

As for the song. I like the choice. Not easy but that's the point i guess! Thanks
Old 05-09-2022, 08:53 PM   #14
Broken Glass Audio

Still hoping to get in on this months contest but have been swamped with no end in sight. At least I got my new account working!
Broken Glass Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:47 AM   #15
LCM!

Amazing song to mix, thanks Jerzee.
I think it has whatever a hit needs.

Has anybody watched this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_C4eP518nU

I think it's worth it, not to replicate, of course, but to see what the author of the song tells about his work.
LCM! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:47 AM   #16
PVinKC

Just uploaded my Mix for April 2022. I have to say that I very much enjoyed mixing this song. Unlike some others, I get that not every project can be our favorites or sometimes even fun to mix. Sometimes it can be an asbolute chore. But that's the job. So I dove in and did what we do. Hopefully it is received well in the votes, but as long as I get good honest feedback, that's really what we're after here.

Looking forward to the voting. Good luck to all!
Old 05-12-2022, 04:00 AM   #17
JohnMiears

I should be ready to submit mine tomorrow night-ish, I'm very interested to see what everyone was able to come up with for this one.
JohnMiears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:25 AM   #18
LCM!

Submitted.
Many thanks to Daryl and good luck to everyone.
Ready to listen to your mixes in a neverending loop and give some kind of useful feedback.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:51 AM   #19
JerZee

Default almost ready

Making some final adjustments. i took more time mixing it than I thought I would. Every time i listen to it I was like ´nah, not there yet´. And now, still not completely satisfied. but i´ll make sure that I upload my mix before the deadline. It could be my reference tracks...that they are setting the bar too high.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:18 AM   #20
JerZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCM! View Post
Amazing song to mix, thanks Jerzee.
I think it has whatever a hit needs.

Has anybody watched this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_C4eP518nU

I think it's worth it, not to replicate, of course, but to see what the author of the song tells about his work.
happy to hear that you like it. Mostly I mix pop and rocksongs, so this felt like a good oppertunity to dive into some more unknown territory (for me). To give myself some challenge.

Last edited by JerZee; 05-13-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:29 AM   #21
darjama

Submissions are due in ~17 hours. For the exact time in your time zone see the schedule on https://reamixed.com/
Old 05-15-2022, 07:57 AM   #22
MisterGTR

Quote:
Submissions are due in ~17 hours. For the exact time in your time zone see the schedule on https://reamixed.com/
Thanks for the reminder. Will get on it and get it in ASAP.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:09 AM   #23
JerZee

Default Uploaded my mix

Just uploaded my mix. I think I'm happy with it. Could still work on it for days so it's good to have a deadline.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:11 AM   #24
WaveTrans

I just uploaded my mix and I have to apologize that I had to upload it twice,
since the first time I forgot to include the rendered flac file.

I simply re-uploaded the complete .zip file and this seemed to work fine (unloaded the first one and entered the second zip).

Sorry about that; hope this does not cause any inconveniences.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:03 PM   #25
JohnMiears

Just uploaded, couldn't find the motivation (the time is ALWAYS there if you make it) to put 100% into this one. Still looking forward to what everyone did this month.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:36 PM   #26
jansen

Hey! Quite a lot of us are having last-minute homework (me included, I've just submitted). I have to say, after spending all of last Wednesday evening mixing "Open my eyes" for the Eventide contest, I wasn't ready to do a very long session. Fortunately, this tune kind of mixed itself. I must have used no more than 24 FX for the whole project. There's something to be said for quick mixing, instant gratification, very little ear fatigue!

Now, let's see how this turns out...:}
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:19 PM   #27
Broken Glass Audio

Default I'm Lame

Just uploaded my mix without my flac! I'm lame, I know!

EDIT:

Link for fair play: BGA

Last edited by Broken Glass Audio; 05-15-2022 at 07:25 PM.
Broken Glass Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:53 PM   #28
Dex

Got my mix in. It’ll be an interesting month for sure. There were a number of artistic decisions you had to make with this mix, and I went for a few bold ones. Hopefully you all will like them. We’ll see!
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:32 AM   #29
westie07

Just got mine in on time. I know when I listen to it with fresh ears tomorrow I'll find a hundred things I got wrong. But its all good experience. Right?

Hopefully I'll improve on my woeful attempts to date.

rob
westie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:40 PM   #30
rbva

lesson learned from last month don't mess with your mix at the last second over speakers when you didn't turn off your headphone monitoring fx, especially while your sick.

Looking forward to some diverse mixes this month.
rbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:30 AM   #31
MisterGTR

Unfortunately (kinda) i'm going on holiday for a week on the 20th so i'll miss the voting.

I really enjoy listening to the other mixes back to back with mine and realising where i've gone wrong and making notes of what not to do next time....(eg stop mixing like a smile curve!)

Best of luck to everyone and thank you in advance for listening.

PS - if i can sneakily do it while on hols i will - but it might be best not to as it will be on bluetooth headphones and my phone.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:04 AM   #32
Jopame

Default great mixes

Already heard through all the mixes. Great work so far. I think there was not much you could do to make the mix sound bad and for the ratings it will be more a matter of taste, whether you like a specific mix or not. We had a lot of choices of making a mix stand out. Some mixes with really bone vocals and some with lot of reverb/delay. I'm excited what will be the favorite for the majority, although I personally have found already my favorite mix. And it is not mine
Old 05-21-2022, 05:10 AM   #33
JohnMiears

Voting now, one common theme that I'm seeing this month and in months prior is abusing the bus compressor. I'm too lazy to check past projects and too impatient to wait for this months to be released. So out of curiosity, what is everyone's "go to" setting, if there is one? For me it's almost ALWAYS the following, "SSL clone" settings.

ratio 4:1
attack 30ms
release 1ms
reduction....varies but no more than 3dB in the loudest part of the song. I usually will have the same setting on my drum bus taking down the transients from them by 3dB as well before they hit the main compressor.

On the topic of "SSL clone" compressors, when I'm lazy and don't want to dial in the PERFECT sound I'll do 4:1 ratio, 33ms attack, auto release for about 6dB of gain reduction on individual channels.

Small side note, not that it helps anyone for a Reamixed contest. But now I usually just throw CLA Mixdown on my drums and main bus at the factory default setting and I enjoy that much better. If I find a way to replicate it with reaper stock plugins I'll be sure to over use it and spill the beans on the recipe.

grain of salt moment: I definitely don't DOMINATE Remixed every month so all the above is far from a carved in stone gospel to follow.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:12 AM   #34
PVinKC

I don't have an absolute for my "Parent Buss", but that is where any 'master buss processing' is done. I tend to like an SSLish compressor though, 2-4:1 with 30ish attack and release generally anywhere from 60 to 120. If I want the compression to pump in time with the music, then it will be shorter and if I'm going for a softening sort of gluing then it'll be longer. I usually set this up early and mix into it, checking back as I go and readjusting to make sure that the main things hitting hard are the kick and snare (in a rock mix at least) and I never want to be getting more than 3db of gain reduction.

I find that using really short release times (anything less than 10ms) often introduces artifacts that sound awful. Having said all of that...I don't place high typically in the voting, so take my musings with a grain of salt!
Old 05-23-2022, 01:36 AM   #35
LCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopame View Post
Some mixes with really bone vocals and some with lot of reverb/delay. I'm excited what will be the favorite for the majority, although I personally have found already my favorite mix. And it is not mine
I also think there is a mix that stands out clearly, without major issues. I rated it the best, although it's in the other side of the aisle (bone/reverb voice), not in mine.

Regarding the compression topic, I usually start from some values beforehand. On the master (or parent tracks) medium values (10 attack, 3:1 ratio), slow attack on kick and snare, generally around 3 db of gain reduction (for just one instance) and pretty much parallel comp. But rules are meant to be breached, I think.

Last edited by LCM!; 05-23-2022 at 02:36 AM.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:55 AM   #36
WaveTrans

Reacomp Masterbus glue preset
Old 05-23-2022, 02:08 PM   #37
REDTone Studio

Just voted. This was a tough one, a couple stood out as the best. Lots were very much OK and no real off the mark ones this time like in other months. I think I did well, but who knows until the results come in.

I keep my master buss compression real light. Something I am still trying to perfect and understand. I use the 1175 plugin with about 3db of gain reduction and same amount of makeup gain with, what now seems to be a real slow attack, around 150ms. I then run this into the Realimit plugin until it almost does something, just brings up the volume mainly.
REDTone Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 04:16 AM   #38
JPe

Just finished voting. I had to rush through it a bit so sorry for that. I'll have more time next month.

As for the song: the hard part (for me) was getting the dynamics and build right between the parts (verse, prechorus, chorus, solo). And making some choices that where somewhat more "creative" without butchering the song. So that's also what I paid attention to when voting.

See you all next month!
JPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:34 AM   #39
Dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiears View Post
Voting now, one common theme that I'm seeing this month and in months prior is abusing the bus compressor. I'm too lazy to check past projects and too impatient to wait for this months to be released. So out of curiosity, what is everyone's "go to" setting, if there is one? For me it's almost ALWAYS the following, "SSL clone" settings.

ratio 4:1
attack 30ms
release 1ms
reduction....varies but no more than 3dB in the loudest part of the song. I usually will have the same setting on my drum bus taking down the transients from them by 3dB as well before they hit the main compressor.

On the topic of "SSL clone" compressors, when I'm lazy and don't want to dial in the PERFECT sound I'll do 4:1 ratio, 33ms attack, auto release for about 6dB of gain reduction on individual channels.

Small side note, not that it helps anyone for a Reamixed contest. But now I usually just throw CLA Mixdown on my drums and main bus at the factory default setting and I enjoy that much better. If I find a way to replicate it with reaper stock plugins I'll be sure to over use it and spill the beans on the recipe.

grain of salt moment: I definitely don't DOMINATE Remixed every month so all the above is far from a carved in stone gospel to follow.
For bus compression I usually go for 10ms attack, auto release, 4:1 ratio, 0 RMS, and very little actual compression. I think it's important that the snare be the only thing that makes the needle move very much, so the mix that's being fed into the compressor is very important.

On this track in particular, I only put this bus compressor on the "everything but the vocals" bus. Originally I had it on the master bus, but I didn't like what it was doing to the vocals there, so I made sure to apply it only to the music.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:51 PM   #40
JerZee

Default voting

Done voting! Took some time. I noticed a couple of things:
-most mixes I found the vocal too low in volume
-also I missed fx on the vocals a lot of times...and I personally think this style of music needs fx on the vocal
-a lot of mixes had too much compression on the masterbus. Because of that some mixes lacked energy in the chorus
-the sub bass was an issue with a lot of mixes.
-the balance beat / vocal was also a common problem.
So my conclusion is that it was a more difficult song to mix than I though it would be and there were only maybe 4 mixes I gave 4 stars or more. I was also happy that there were two mixes I really liked which I rated with 5 stars.

I'm looking forward to the results. If the two mixes I've rated 5 stars are not in the top 3 than maybe I am misjudging the sound and I need to check my monitoring...