Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 08-25-2018, 05:21 AM   #1
cubic13
Human being with feelings

Default CRado : a 'RADO' like and Reaper 5 compliant theme...

Following the discussion in this thread, I put myself at work and here is the result : a rather personal, I admit, 'Rado' looking theme adapted to Reaper 5. It took me more time than I expected, as I actually had to rewrite completely the rtconfig.txt file and edit several graphic files to make the whole theme behave as I wanted.

So, what have be changed in it from the original RADO V4 theme ?
-The added Reaper 5 controls : mcp/tcp/global 'preview' mode, VCA/Group layouts, item envelope icon, master.tcp height resizing...
-The Reaper 5 tinting scheme on tcp/mcp panels. I made choices that could be debated : I preserved more or less the original tinting of the tcp panels by adding a little transparency on them, this, while setting the mcp strips as fully opaque excepting the area under their label.
- The tcp and mcp management, this to add, first, the tcp/mcp.fxin and mcp.recinput controls that were missing, and second, to get rid of the endless stretch of some tcp panel controls.
- The transport bar : both the 'default' and 'compact' layouts have now their options fully functional.
- Several changes in the layouts : mainly, I got rid of the ones which were rather useless for me (legacy 'mini', among others...). Beside this, I reduced the default width of the mcp strips while creating added 'large' and 'narrow' layouts.
- Both the envcp and mcp.master strips have been reshaped.
- Vertical meters layouts for both the master and folder layouts in the tcp have been added and set as 'default', the existing horizontal ones being preserved as additional layouts.
- Several additional changes and fixes done here and there : 'table' and 'gen' controls, items appearance, colors...

Concerning the joined toolbars, they are actually exactly the same as the original ones. I'm not fond of them, but well : let's say that they will do the job for the moment... To use them, the bundled .ReaperMenu files should be put in the \MenuSets subfolder of your Reaper installation, then loaded with the Customize menus/toolbars window.

Let me know about any remaning bugs or things that would need a change...

The link : https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2185/CRado.zip

CRado v 1.50 (12th december 2018) :

Last edited by cubic13; 12-12-2018 at 03:35 AM. Reason: v 1.50 update...
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:50 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Download link?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:53 AM   #3
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Download link?
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2185/CRado.zip
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:13 AM   #4
cubic13

Sorry, ED : I forgot the essential at first. So, I edited my first post accordingly. The link is actually the one mentioned by vitalker...
Old 08-25-2018, 08:33 AM   #5
Johnny Blade

Nice! Thank you very much!
Johnny Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
Softsynth

Like the update, cheers.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:02 AM   #7
Luster

Thanks for the efforts, looks very good!

Wow, so many layouts - it's a pity that we aren't able to nest them (e.g. colored fader + alt panning knobs) with Walter.

Some points/critic:

MCP-Layout Alt Fader 2 and the black Fader are very similar.

MCP-Layout Alt Fader 3 looks like perspectively broken (like you look in an angle on the "3D" vs. the rest).
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:01 AM   #8
cubic13

Thanks to you all again...

@Luster
We actually can nest layouts in Walter. What we can't do is to nest folders over a second degree, which means that if we specify this :

Layout "TestXY" "folderX\folderY"

... the folderY will be found by Reaper. But if we state this :

Layout "TestXYZ" "folderX\folderY\FolderZ"

... the last folderZ won't be found, even if it's present in the right place. This is one of the most irritating theming limitation, as to go around it, you have to endlessly multiply the folders with redundant contents. This, while keeping an eye on the 2 Mb limit allowed for an upload in the stash...

- Beside this, indeed, the 'Alt fader #2' and the 'Fader - Black' are close to be similar : the only thing that allows a distinction is the line color that cross the middle of the thumb. I have checked on the original theme and it's the same thing... Guess that I'll have to find something like another thumb or remove the 'Alt Fader #2' layout, this one being rather useless as it is, I admit...

- Concerning the 'Alt Fader #3', I guess that you are talking about the fader thumb. Actually, it's the same as the original one : I just adjusted a little the shadow underneath, as for all the other thumbs available in the theme. It has a rather strange shape, for sure, but I kinda like it this way.

Last edited by cubic13; 08-26-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:44 AM   #9
Luster

I know, you can nest the graphic files but not make combinations of layouts for the user. Like combining different versions of panning styles with different fader caps dynamic (without prescribing everything in Walter beforehand).

Overall I find it cool, that you made your layouts smaller (MCP) so more use of screen real estate.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #10
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
We actually can nest layouts in Walter. What we can't do is to nest folders over a second degree, which means that if we specify this :

Layout "TestXY" "folderX\folderY"

... the folderY will be found by Reaper. But if we state this :

Layout "TestXYZ" "folderX\folderY\FolderZ"

... the last folderZ won't be found, even if it's present in the right place. This is one of the most irritating theming limitation, as to go around it, you have to endlessly multiply the folders with redundant contents. This, while keeping an eye on the 2 Mb limit allowed for an upload in the stash...
It can be done, but there are 2 caveats:
1: loading and reloading the theme takes noticeably longer
2: Theme cannot be used in the single file .ReaperThemeZIP format.
it has to be used in the separate theme elements style used when developing a theme (file + image folder).

#1 can be annoying to some
#2 can difficult to explain to some users how to install the theme.

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 08-26-2018 at 03:49 PM.
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:21 PM   #11
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
It can be done, but there are 2 caveats:
1: loading and reloading the theme takes noticeably longer
2: Theme cannot be used in the single file .ReaperThemeZIP format.
it has to be used in the separate theme elements style used when developing a theme (file + image folder).

#1 can be annoying to some
#2 can difficult to explain to some users how to install the theme.
Hi, Lucas

I remember having read something about this long ago, but quickly forgot it as I wasn't in a situation to test the thing. For me the main problem remains your caveat #2, though. It is indeed difficult for some who just want to quickly test a theme without bothering about added procedures. I know what I am talking about with my CubicPack...

Thanks for clarifying this.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:36 AM   #12
cubic13

Default v 1.10 is in the stash...

A first update which brings :

- Two fixes concerning the tcp.fxparm control behavior.
- An optimized behavior of the tcp panels (especially the master.tcp one) when they are horizontally narrowed.
- After Luster comment (post #12), a change of the fader thumb used for the "Alt Fader #2" layout : the new one has actually been taken from the Reaborn 2 theme and more or less adapted to this one.
- The addition of three separator layouts for the mixer ("Default", "Large" and "Narrow"), the existing one having been kept and renamed as "Separator thin".
- Few more little graphic tweaks and fixes done here and there.

Let me know if there are things that could still be changed or fixed...
Old 08-29-2018, 12:42 AM   #13
lucas_LCS

Quote:
For me the main problem remains your caveat #2..
For me as well.
It's unfortunate that it causes issues, since it would help eliminate many redundant image files and help keep the theme size small.
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:14 PM   #14
Luster

One critical point: The text in the name label in the TCP looses too much contrast with bright track colours. Not so with the original.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:53 PM   #15
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
One critical point: The text in the name label in the TCP looses too much contrast with bright track colours. Not so with the original.
This is a thing that I changed almost immediately when starting to work on this theme : for me, the tcp labels were too bright, so I dimmed them to get something less flashy... As I think remembering that you are theming, you can solve this on your end, at least partially. For this, you have to change this statement (line #51) in the rtconfig.txt file :

set tcp.label.color [210 210 210]

to this :

set tcp.label.color [255 255 255]

... which was the original setting.

Hope this will help...
Old 01-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #16
dupont

good theme but I miss Reaper 5 minimal tcp where the volume is a knob instead of a slider.
Usefull for small screen and when the tracks are minimized.
Also is it possible to avoid the idents for tcp inside a folders ?
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:36 AM   #17
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
good theme but I miss Reaper 5 minimal tcp where the volume is a knob instead of a slider.
Usefull for small screen and when the tracks are minimized.
Also is it possible to avoid the idents for tcp inside a folders ?
Hmmm... I have kept the volume controls as they were working on the original theme. I just got rid of the 'endless stretching' behavior which for me was horrible. Beside this, I just reshaped a little the knob - when the tcp panel is narrowed, either horizontally or vertically - making it smaller. I'm not sure that I want to change this, but maybe I could add layouts with only knobs as volume controls, but it's going to take me a while...

Concerning the 'idents', I guess that you are talking about the indentation for the controls alignment that should have been kept between a track folder and its children, as in the original RADO theme. If so, I'll take a look to see what I can quickly do about it, as I'm working on other themes presently.

Stay tuned...

----------------------------------
Update after having looked further...

1) Concerning the indentation, I see again why I aligned vertically all the tcp controls, folders or not :
- First, it was to allow the display of BOTH the tcp.foldercomp (the control that allow the predefined vertical redimensioning of a folder children tracks) and the tcp.trackidx (the track index) controls in a folder track.
- Second, it was to prevent the too early truncation of the tcp label when a track was in a folder.
I don't know how to keep these two fixes along with a reimplementation of a controls indentation for a folder track. So, it will stay as it is, at least for now, as I still think that it's better than what was in the original theme.

2) About the knobs as volume controls, I might take a closer look at it in a while, but I'm afraid that there is no easy way to implement them, as there are already ten layouts that would need a duplication and a partial rewrite : too much hassle for a very tiny gain, as the volume controls are already displayed as knobs when the tcp panel is narrowed either horizontally or vertically.

Sorry not being able to help more...

Last edited by cubic13; 01-16-2019 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:08 AM   #18
dupont

@Cubic13

As you can sse on the pictures, with Crado theme TCP must be stretched far more than reaper 5 theme until I can see the volume knobs.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_g...MylV8Pf1iAFSh8
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kB...q_Mp22dhEipjgd

Thank anyway for your reply.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:35 AM   #19
sightlessness

Cubic13 you rock man. I got my fave themes plus other ones that I didn't like too much
(including some of yours, sorry, gets better afterwards in my comments, is just some elements didn't convince me at Full HD but... keep on reading below :P).

And guess what?

EyssinaAM, omg, looks STELLAR on my 55" Oled 4k TV (I am telling this everywhere,
but it's not with the intention of strutting around, but to state the circumstance
I am testing this).

Have Windows scaling at 250%, and no scaling within Reaper. Omg, lots of real estate,
and now your theme, speacially the MCP, looks amazing!

Some of your other themes look great, and others' themes' too. Logic one by you
looks great too. Bad thing is now I have lots of choices, lol.

I used to love Cubase and this theme rocks (I would work a little bit more on the TCP),
still, just letting you know, and thanking you.

Have a great life.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:44 AM   #20
cubic13

@dupont
Ok, so it's more about the placement of the volume control than its shape. I first thought that you wanted a knob for the volume control in all cases.

I'll see what I can do about this, the problem is that placing the volume knob near the track label means either changing the pan/width knobs placement or reducing the label width - and I know some users need a rather wide label control for complex/orchestral project tracks naming.

If I find something acceptable, I'll upload an update in few weeks.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:48 AM   #21
cubic13

@sightlessness
Thanks a lot for your feedback...

And guess what ? When I was answering few days ago @dupont about my present theming work, I was actually talking about the CubicPack content. So stay tuned, as I'm planning an update for it in the weeks to come.

Thanks again...
Old 01-19-2019, 01:37 AM   #22
dupont

Quote:
@dupont
Ok, so it's more about the placement of the volume control than its shape. I first thought that you wanted a knob for the volume control in all cases.

I'll see what I can do about this, the problem is that placing the volume knob near the track label means either changing the pan/width knobs placement or reducing the label width - and I know some users need a rather wide label control for complex/orchestral project tracks naming.

If I find something acceptable, I'll upload an update in few weeks.
thanks
Old 01-22-2020, 01:02 AM   #23
Luster

FYI:

With Reaper 6 this theme - like all Reaborn2 based ones at least - doesn't look like expected: the item buttons are scaled in a wrong way.

Have a look here:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=229744
Old 04-14-2020, 07:38 AM   #24
vicenzajay

Default Some help please

Love this - but I have two questions:

1) in all the latest RADO themes, when I load them up and select track color - it only colors the name "bar" of the track...not the whole track as RADO 4 used to do. I see the screenshots here of the full track tint, so how do I make that happen?

2)Disregard...found the answer to this one...

Still not understanding why the screenshots with full "transparent" tinting don't translate to the theme when I load it....?

Last edited by vicenzajay; 04-14-2020 at 03:33 PM.
vicenzajay is offline   Reply With Quote