Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-09-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
Davi
Human being with feelings

Default My vocals are actually ahead of time (offsync)

Hi guys i have this issue and i can't figure it out how to fix it.
I use a Scarlett audio interface, all the settings in reaper like buffer etc. are correct i did checked online before posting BUT
When i record my vocals in, they are actually off synch ahead of time.
If i put in another track a kick drum plugin then i use another track for my vocal or whaever they are appearing ahead of time....even when i compare it with the Metronome enable i can see my audio coming IN that is a bit ahead....not to much but enuff to be offsynch...what can i do? Try to conpensate the input signal manually? So frustrated, any help appreciated
Thanks
David
PS tried with external gear like a drum machine same issues i am about 16 ms ahead...and if i try to conpensate in the Reaper setting won't change it

Last edited by Davi; 10-09-2021 at 04:10 PM.
Davi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:14 AM   #2
Stella645

You can set an offset in preferences...is that what you mean doesn't work?
Can you show the settings you made in a screencap.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:49 AM   #3
serr

Does the offset appear to change? ie. You do a loopback test, set the offset, run another pass to confirm it. But later it appears changed again? Something like that going on? Did you try a manual correction only with the box for 'use driver reported offset' unticked?

You may need to find different offsets depending on what sample rate you are running at. Putting multiple interfaces in aggregate device config can add to the baseline latency of the devices too. Some of the drum machine, etc devices connect like a USB audio interface. That leads to vetting their 'alignment' and especially if you are making aggregate device configs to keep your monitor system interface in the mix.

Or... If you were only relying on the 'use driver reported offset' and looking no further. Now you know what the manual offset is for!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:31 PM   #4
DVDouglas
Banned

I agree offset in preferences the baseline latency of the devices too
DVDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:59 PM   #5
clepsydrae

I have a Scarlett 18i8 on windows 10 -- often when I boot up and start reaper, it will record everything ~24ms late. If I open the device preferences (i.e. the asio panel to set bit depth/rate etc, using the button on the dialog that appears when clicking the reported latency text in the top right of the main reaper window) and then close the dialog (without changing anything), it suddenly is perfectly on time (and remains so). I now have to do this every time I start reaper if I plan to record.

So I assume there is some kind of initialization bug in the focusrite drivers. Same thing happened on win 8.1. I haven't had time yet to try to track this down with Focusrite (if it's even realistic to hope to.)

Maybe give opening/closing the ASIO options a shot?

One other thought: any effects in the monitoring FX chain that cause latency will cause the metronome to be out of sync with played back audio, because the metronome doesn't go through the monitoring chain. AFAIK reaper will sync to the audio timeframe in that case, not the metronome, which might cause a similar sync issue? If you have any monitoring effects, try disabling them.

Edit to add: the 24ms thing is maddening when I forget about it and I listen back to what I recently overdubbed and wonder why I suck so bad... :-)
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote