Old 09-18-2021, 06:05 AM   #1
Tig's
Human being with feelings

Default Devon Roots Again.....sry

Hi All
Happy Saturday to you
I've been playing with it again. It wont be the last time either :{

I had no comments last time I posted an update and found that a bit disappointing, I'm here cos I would like to get better at producing my creative vomit into something that is easer to connect with.

Ok I have no idea what I'm doing and find it hard to understand the more technical details, but I wana learn.
Good bad or indifferent let me have it, cos I've gone track blind.

https://soundcloud.com/tim-wheeler-7.../s-feN4Nmn3TTW
Tig's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:03 PM   #2
jopatius

This is what I wrote down when listening to this:

0:38 - that sound is crap
0:58 - ?
1:10 - nothing's going on here?
1:36 - this is starting to work, like the organ
2:39 - I kind of like the drum stuff

Because at the end my impression of the song was very different to what it was when I started to listen to it, I went back to the beginning of the song and started to listen again. I was actually surprised that the organ which I kind of liked at the end was there already, because on my first listen I did not pay attention into it at the start. That's because the overall impression was "confusing" there - it was like a sudden mixture of elements that did not "build up" gradually, and some elements like that 0:38 sound just tasted bad.

But yes from 1:36 onwards there was a feeling that the cook is aware of what he is cooking, and that was working. So if I were you, I'd consider re-arraning the beginning so that there would be a feeling of a "purposeful build-up" instead of a "random stuff just coming and going" there.
jopatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:11 PM   #3
fHumble fHingaz

Hi Tim, I'm not really any sort of authority on electronic music, as it is not really to my taste. That said, I do enjoy listening when I'm in the mood for it...

With this piece, I found some of the melodies and rhythms quite appealing, and I like the way you arranged the music to ebb and flow so that it was not repetitive. Overall the music has a fairly happy, joyful vibe to my ear.

A couple of points from this EDM ignoramus (so feel free to ignore if they are not relevant):

- I felt there could have been more variety in the actual sonics of the rhythmic component. The drums/rhythmic elements all sound pretty limited in bandwidth, and I think you could at times "open up" the drums to a fuller sound, extending both to the lower octaves, but also upwards, to create more impact with the music as it expands. Just more contrast in general.

- The melodic sections are catchy at times, but they seem a bit indistinct. Just when I think there is something I can latch onto, it changes into something else. As dumb as this sounds, I like a melody that sticks in my head after hearing a piece of music. It's all about striking a fine balance between repetition of a recognisable melody, and keeping things interesting with new ideas.

- Although I'm certainly not averse to some slightly gimmicky sound fx myself, I found the ray-gun flourishes a bit overdone and slightly out of place.

As I said, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, so feel free to take my opinion with a very large grain of salt. In any case, I hope that helps in some way. Cheers!
Old 09-20-2021, 06:24 AM   #4
Tig's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopatius View Post
This is what I wrote down when listening to this:

0:38 - that sound is crap
0:58 - ?
1:10 - nothing's going on here?
1:36 - this is starting to work, like the organ
2:39 - I kind of like the drum stuff

Because at the end my impression of the song was very different to what it was when I started to listen to it, I went back to the beginning of the song and started to listen again. I was actually surprised that the organ which I kind of liked at the end was there already, because on my first listen I did not pay attention into it at the start. That's because the overall impression was "confusing" there - it was like a sudden mixture of elements that did not "build up" gradually, and some elements like that 0:38 sound just tasted bad.

But yes from 1:36 onwards there was a feeling that the cook is aware of what he is cooking, and that was working. So if I were you, I'd consider re-arraning the beginning so that there would be a feeling of a "purposeful build-up" instead of a "random stuff just coming and going" there.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm of the same mind, the start needs tightening up and more of a build up. Ill take a look at that sound at .38.
If the starts not interesting I wouldn't listen to it any further.

On the plus side , I'm learning to play keyboards by ear and pattern and I got into the grove halfway through and a few things fell into place. I'd got stuck on a rhythm for weeks and suddenly broke free. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
Tim
Old 09-20-2021, 07:07 AM   #5
Tig's

Quote:
I felt there could have been more variety in the actual sonics of the rhythmic component. The drums/rhythmic elements all sound pretty limited in bandwidth, and I think you could at times "open up" the drums to a fuller sound, extending both to the lower octaves, but also upwards, to create more impact with the music as it expands. Just more contrast in general.
Thanks for you help on this one, I've not spent a lot of time on learning percussion up to now. I've been a bit lax.
Putting more time into the body of the track and trying to get to a point where I could begin to implement the previous comments as best I could. I'll give your thoughts a go and that will help me focus.

Quote:
- The melodic sections are catchy at times, but they seem a bit indistinct. Just when I think there is something I can latch onto, it changes into something else. As dumb as this sounds, I like a melody that sticks in my head after hearing a piece of music. It's all about striking a fine balance between repetition of a recognisable melody, and keeping things interesting with new ideas.
I've struggled with keeping the melody but changing it subtlety enough to make it different. Although this Saturday I saw a place where I can split the octave in my note structure, to create three sperate but similar melody's. One in the lower octave , one in the upper and a combination of the two. I'm going to experiment with that this week.
I've also been watching keyboard players on the Old Grey Whistle Test to get ideas on how people use the left hand, bugger me if it isn't just a few notes at a time. I was thinking the left hand would have to be as melodic as the right, but of course its bass.... simple or as complex as needed. Having just found my right hand fingers its going to take a minute to get my head round playing the bass at the same time.

Quote:
- Although I'm certainly not averse to some slightly gimmicky sound fx myself, I found the ray-gun flourishes a bit overdone and slightly out of place.
Fair point. some sounds are indistinct and some are way too loud and in the wrong place to be helpful. I'm paying homage to 60's 70's Roots & Dub Reggie and have been trying to incorporate those bass riffs and that atmosphere. I'm at a place were I can look at the ebb and flow of those effects to bring them into the story at more appropriate times and cut out the silly ones.

Quote:
As I said, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, so feel free to take my opinion with a very large grain of salt. In any case, I hope that helps in some way. Cheers!
I respect everyone's music and opinion even if I don't understand initially. I think as deeply and as honestly about every interaction as I can and try to make improvements. You guys haven't let me down yet and my abilities and knowledge are increasing so I have no complaints.
TIm
Old 09-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
swingset

It's not my genre, but I do experiment with electronic and instrumentals here and there.

I liked the tone and feel of it, but I'd ask what is the purpose of the track? It feels very much like a texture piece that would be used as background for something (demo video, art or visualization). If so, I think it stands as its own thing and it's pretty much a question of matching it to the right piece.

If an instrumental in its own right, I think it needs to go somewhere...it feels like you establish the tone, movement and pace early but it doesn't take the listener anywhere but the occasional instrument or phrase change...that can be monotonous, but I'm listening to this absent any feel for what your intentions were.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
Tig's

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
It's not my genre, but I do experiment with electronic and instrumentals here and there.

I liked the tone and feel of it, but I'd ask what is the purpose of the track? It feels very much like a texture piece that would be used as background for something (demo video, art or visualization). If so, I think it stands as its own thing and it's pretty much a question of matching it to the right piece.

If an instrumental in its own right, I think it needs to go somewhere...it feels like you establish the tone, movement and pace early but it doesn't take the listener anywhere but the occasional instrument or phrase change...that can be monotonous, but I'm listening to this absent any feel for what your intentions were.
Hiya Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.
Your right! I had no idea what I was doing when I started the piece. I start playing something on the guitar or more recently the keyboard and see where the emotion takes me.

I made this as full as possible as a soundscape, Then after getting some help I've made a few changes that have give some space between melody's and tried to come up with some sort of chorus and verse structure. Its an attempt....

It began with a dance piece then I heard somewhere in there some Dub/Roots Reggae influence and went with them both. I have A.D.D. Tourette's and Autism so things can get quite random initially. Also I have no formal training or otherwise in composing or using Reaper type DAW's.

I'm now doing as you suggest, building a story into it, an ebb and flow that takes you somewhere.

I'm going to keep chipping away until I can write a track and produce it well enough that people can connect in some way with any piece I put together and not as confused as I am about them.

Thanks again Tim