Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #1
Cyaoeu
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI: note moving inconsistency with Always snap notes to the left

For larger notes the note snaps even though the mouse cursor didn't cross a grid line. This is inconsistent with "Insert note, drag to move" and moving small notes (that fit into grid lines) where they only snap when the mouse cursor crosses either grid line.

I made some .gifs that show the behavior I would like (note snaps when the mouse cursor crosses the grid line) and the problem with bigger notes:
1.gif "Insert note, drag to move", snaps fine.
2.gif moving small note, snaps fine.
3.gif moving big note, snaps before the mouse cursor reaches the grid line which is in my opinion wrong. (and after the cursor crosses the line to the right which is also wrong)

Instead it should snap when the mouse cursor reaches the closest grid lines. Since I clicked in the left part of the note it should snap when reaching the grid line to the left near the C5 text, or the grid line to the right in the middle point of the note. If I clicked in the right part of the note it should snap to the closest grid lines over there.

This change would make MIDI note moving more consistent and predictable.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1.gif (54.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: gif 2.gif (45.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: gif 3.gif (61.1 KB, 70 views)
Cyaoeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:01 AM   #2
Cyaoeu
Human being with feelings

To clarify a bit.

With Always snap notes/CC to the left enabled, clicking to create and then drag the note aligns the note to the grid whenever you cross a grid line.

After creating a note, if you drag the note it doesn't align to the grid whenever you cross a grid line. Meaning, if you move left just a bit it will snap fast but if you move to the right you will have to move a lot for it to snap, it isn't a consistent distance between left/right.

With Always snap notes/CC to the left disabled, clicking to create and then drag the note does not align the note to the grid whenever you cross a grid line. Meaning, if you move right just a bit it will snap fast but if you move to the left you will have to move a lot for it to snap, it isn't a consistent distance between left/right.

After creating a note, if you drag the note it does (kind of) align to the grid whenever you cross a grid line. This depends on where you clicked on the note when you started dragging and the length of the note. At least, when you drag it either left or right it will snap the same way (with a consistent distance).

At this point I'm not sure if this is a bug report or a feature request because I don't know how it's supposed to work, but how I would want it to work is this:
when creating a note (and dragging) or when just dragging a note, whenever the mouse cursor crosses a grid line the note always snaps to the right (if the cursor crossed a grid line to the right) or always snaps to the left (if the cursor crossed a grid line to the left).

This would make MIDI editing by mouse more consistent since you don't have to keep track of invisible "snapping lines" which don't correspond to the actual grid lines. If you grabbed a note in the middle you would have the same distance to left and right snapping. If you grabbed a note just before a grid line you would have a tiny distance to the right and a larger distance to the left, but you would know exactly when the note would snap. Essentially initial mouse position/note length wouldn't matter and you would have consistent creating and dragging of MIDI notes.
Cyaoeu is offline   Reply With Quote