Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > OSCII-bot forum

Old 11-11-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
EcBaPr
Human being with feelings

Default Help connecting Reaper to RME Totalmix via OSC..

I am looking for a way to connect Reapers volume faders to RME Totalmix software via OSC.. I suspect OSCii Bot might be able to do this but I had a look and its over my head so hoping someone could offer some help..

Totalmix volume faders respond to OSC message.. 1/Volume1

Reaper channel volumes respond to... n/track/@/volume

So I would like to find a way to be able to connect between these two...

1/Volume1 <--> n/track/1/volume

and then repeat for subsequent channels etc...

1/Volume2 <--> n/track/2/volume

is this possible with OSCii Bot ? Or does anyone know another method to achieve this ? my aim is to use Reaper automation to control Totalmix faders in realtime as Reaper is playing..
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
goldenarpharazon

Yes an OSCII-bot script would do this.

Or possibly the two OSC capable VST in this post https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=244077 or if you are on a Mac try OSCulator https://osculator.net/
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:32 AM   #3
EcBaPr

I had a look at OSCar plugin.. I couldn't really see anyway it could route between those OSC patterns ?

Ive been looking at the OSCii Bot sample scripts also trying to work it out, unfortunately its a bit beyond me to decipher.. I suspect what I'm trying to do only requires a few lines of code, if anyone feels up for helping write a basic script id appreciate it.. if I had something that worked with just one OSC pattern id be off and running and could probably expand it from there but at the moment I'm not even sure how to even establish the connection with a script ?

Last edited by EcBaPr; 12-14-2020 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:46 AM   #4
EcBaPr

I am still trying to setup a basic script for controlling volume faders in Reaper and Totalmix.. feel like im at a stand still..

Through my (novice) efforts I have managed to establish a connection between both programs and used oscsend from within a script to trigger changes in each program.. i also used oscmatch to confirm OSCii bot recieves message from both applications..

So i have everything communicating.. The problem is i cant work out how to change a fader in one program and have the fader in the second program change in sync with the same value ? i imagine the incoming value needs to be stored in a variable and then apply that variable as the value sent to the second fader ? im not sure how to do this..

i have pasted what i have done below...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

@input FromReaper OSC "localhost:7008" //7008 osc out port reaper
@output ToReaper OSC "localhost:9008" //9008 osc in port reaper

@input FromTotalmix OSC "localhost:9010" //9010 osc out port Totalmix
@output ToTotalmix OSC "localhost:7010" //7010 osc in port Totalmix

@init

// Test commands can confirm a connection between OSCii bot, Reaper and Totalmix

//oscsend (ToReaper,"t/play",1);
//oscsend (ToTotalmix,"/1/volume1",0.4);
//oscsend (ToTotalmix,"/1/mainMono",1);

@oscmsg

oscmatch ("/1/volume3",$'t') ? (
printf("Totalmix CH3 fader moved \n");
sleep(1);
oscsend (ToReaper,"/track/3/volume", $'t');
);

Last edited by EcBaPr; 12-15-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #5
mks

Not sure if this helps, but I'm setting up the same. Thought I'd share where I'm starting. Just doing a simple midi-osc-midi loop conversion. Unfortunately, I've come to a halt since I don't know how to separate identical OSC messages from different devices. Will be a wonderful universal setup though once somehow helps me figure that part out.

In terms of message components (given correct i/o config). This is what I'm doing:

@oscmsg
oscmatch("/1/mastervolume") ? (
fmt0=oscparm(0,0);
msg1=0xb0;
msg2=0x07;
msg3=fmt0*128;
midisend(toMFT);
);

@midimsg
msg1 == 0xb0 ? (
msg2 == 0x07 ? (
oscsend(TMOut, "/1/mastervolume", (msg3/128));
);
);
mks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #6
mks

To follow up on my obvious problem with an obvious solution. For sake of clarity on my confused post. The full code that I'm using for OSC to MIDI is:

msgdev == TMIn? (
oscmatch("/1/mastervolume") ? (
fmt0=oscparm(0,0);
msg1=0xb0;
msg2=0x07;
msg3=fmt0*128;
midisend(toMFT);
);
);
Old 12-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #7
EcBaPr

thanks for the help.. I actually just got it working myself also.. I ended up with..

oscmatch ("/1/volume3") ? (
oscVal = oscparm(0,0);
printf("Totalmix CH3 fader moved \n");
sleep(1);
oscsend (ToReaper,"/track/3/volume", oscVal);
);

ive got no idea what I'm doing with writing code but discovering oscparm seemed to be the answer.. hopefully its technically ok ? it seems to work..

I'm curious.. why do you want to use midi to control Totalmix ? wouldn't OSC be easier ?
Old 12-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #8
mks

Awesome. Glad you got some things working on your end. Unfortunately, the way Totalmix banks parameters doesn't make for the ideal situation to control everything. At least when it comes to two way communication. But it'll work for me. To return values back to a controller it seems we'd have to check for the state of the bank...which is a little beyond me at the moment.

Anyhow, to answer your question: The reason I'm using MIDI is because my favourite little MIDI controller (MIDI Fighter twister) is part of my mix desk. I use that to do a bunch of things across various apps. Most importantly:
- control output volume for my primary two headphones feeds as well as monitor speaker volume
- working on speaker switching
- control monitoring calibration or VSX bypass/selections
- control rough/prior mix feeds and gain thereof
- control reference material and gain thereof

All in one controller with hardware knobs (and most importantly reflecting the current state of all these things) is pretty ideal for me.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:58 PM   #9
EcBaPr

cool.. OSCii bot is helpful for those of us trying to customise our setups. I like that is lightweight size and easy to run in the background.. I didn't want anything that was a large memory hog for a simple task..