Old 10-16-2023, 12:22 PM   #1
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Default Osc controller to midi notes?

I have the OSC controller application on my Android tablet and want to trigger drums with it in Reaper. Does anybody know how you convert these OSC network messages to MIDI notes? I understand that you give me tablet the IP address and port in set up the OSC controller and Reaper but how do they turn into midi notes?

The screen has 24 buttons so I'd like to be able to assign each one to different MIDI notes by the time it gets into Reaper. Thanks for any ideas

https://download.cnet.com/osc-contro...-78282349.html

Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 11:17 PM   #2
mschnell

I suppose ReaLearn can do this.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 06:48 AM   #3
Coachz

I got the fine Realearn seeing my OSC inputs when I press pads on OSC Controller in Android and I got it converting it to a MIDI note and velocity.

I used the following and got midi working but I a long latency even though my Reaper is very low latency at 128 buffer and all other instruments are fast response. Any ideas please ?
F3 90 41 64
F#3 90 42 64

Last edited by Coachz; 10-20-2023 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:59 AM   #4
helgoboss

What's the latency? Very long latencies (e.g. > 50ms) sound like there's something wrong. Latencies around 30ms are to be expected. This feature is not made for finger drumming, in fact it's only a side feature of ReaLearn (its main purpose is controlling parameters, launching actions etc.).

The signal path in your case goes like this: Incoming OSC message (dedicated OSC thread, fast) => Defer message to main thread (slow, can take up to 30ms) => Process message (fast) => Defer to audio real-time thread (fast, next block)

This target works in real-time (processed within one audio block, in your case 128 samples) ONLY when the source is also a MIDI source. That's what the "MIDI" in "Supports MIDI real-time control" means.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 09:59 AM   #5
foxAsteria

NOte that there's also a feature of TouchOSC where the vertical you tap inside the button determined velocity. Not quite verlocity sensitive, but at least not static.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:23 AM   #6
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
What's the latency? Very long latencies (e.g. > 50ms) sound like there's something wrong. Latencies around 30ms are to be expected. This feature is not made for finger drumming, in fact it's only a side feature of ReaLearn (its main purpose is controlling parameters, launching actions etc.).

The signal path in your case goes like this: Incoming OSC message (dedicated OSC thread, fast) => Defer message to main thread (slow, can take up to 30ms) => Process message (fast) => Defer to audio real-time thread (fast, next block)

This target works in real-time (processed within one audio block, in your case 128 samples) ONLY when the source is also a MIDI source. That's what the "MIDI" in "Supports MIDI real-time control" means.
yeah i'm trying to do finger drumming which works fine in touchdaw but i wanted the configurable pads of OSC Controller. It feels like 100ms delay
Old 10-20-2023, 11:24 AM   #7
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
NOte that there's also a feature of TouchOSC where the vertical you tap inside the button determined velocity. Not quite verlocity sensitive, but at least not static.
That would be very useful if I could get rid of the delay.