Old 12-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
Masonic
Human being with feelings

Default item automation and item AUX send

Hi there,

Does anyone know if there is a way to create aux sends directly from items like in Samplitude? For example, if I have a bunch of words on a vocal track that I want to send to a reverb channel, I’d like to cut them up into items, and then be able to create an AUX send right from these items instead of moving them onto a separate channel, or automating the actual send’s levels. Hope it makes sense.

Also, is it possible to have fx and volume/pan automation directly on the items that is independent from track’s automation?

Thank you
Masonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:25 PM   #2
hopi

might be wrong but exactly what you wish is not possible afaik

so what then is an expiedient workaround to get what you need...

could depend on the track's complexity but I guess what I would do, is duplicate the track [after cutting up the items] make sure the copy of the items are not pooled, [i.e., independent of the originals]

delete or mute all the items on original track that you want to use on the copy track

do the reverse on the copy track...

now you don't need an AUX, you can put the FX on the second track...

and you can automate it for the amount [wet] along the time if you want it to change for each item....

is that helpful ?
Old 12-19-2016, 09:43 PM   #3
Masonic

Thanks hopi,

I was aware of this workaround. This is how I do it in all other DAWs outside of Samplitude where I can simply select objects (items) from many different tracks, group them and send them to an AUX. I can also automate any aux send from any object individually or as a group. Very fast and convenient.

I think maybe I should post it in the "feature request" part of this forum.
Masonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
hopi

yeah do make it a FR... I can see where it could be handy...
Old 10-15-2021, 07:38 PM   #5
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonic View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to create aux sends directly from items like in Samplitude? For example, if I have a bunch of words on a vocal track that I want to send to a reverb channel, I’d like to cut them up into items, and then be able to create an AUX send right from these items instead of moving them onto a separate channel, or automating the actual send’s levels.
You can send an item's signal to another track, yes. You just need to set up the pins in a Take FX (such as Volume Adjustment on 0) to go to some aux channels such as 3-4 and create a send to the other track. That process is detailed here.

However, currently it is NOT possible to RECEIVE signal (e.g. on Take FX) on channels outside an item's media channel number. I consider this a bug and made a BR just now.

Quote:
Also, is it possible to have fx and volume/pan automation directly on the items that is independent from track’s automation?
Yes – they are called Take Envelopes and can affect basic item settings like vol/pan as well as Take FX parameters. I know this answer is late but hopefully this helps Reaper users.
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
ashcat_lt

MonkeyBars has the best answer.

If you want to get actually weird, you can use the gmem send/receive plugins to get directly from and to items. For what you want, you’d put the gmem send plug on the item, and the receive plug on the FX track and make sure they’re set to the same slot.

Like I said, one can use this to receive audio into the Take FX chain also, just by reversing the placement of those plugs. One could use this to create “FX Items” and whatever.

Either way, the gmem route introduces one buffer block of latency which can’t be automatically compensated. That’s usually not much of an issue for reverbs, just a little more predelay that you won’t even notice unless you’re buffers are really long. It can make really tight tempo-synced delays tough, and would probably cause phase issues on something like parallel compression, but it might be worth a shot.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:57 AM   #7
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
MonkeyBars has the best answer.

If you want to get actually weird, you can use the gmem send/receive plugins to get directly from and to items. For what you want, you’d put the gmem send plug on the item, and the receive plug on the FX track and make sure they’re set to the same slot.
Thanks Ashcat! I'll have to check out those plugs as usually a little latency won't affect my workflow.

Quote:
Like I said, one can use this to receive audio into the Take FX chain also, just by reversing the placement of those plugs. One could use this to create “FX Items” and whatever.
What do you mean by FX item?
Old 10-16-2021, 04:24 PM   #8
ashcat_lt

Idk people have asked for “FX Items” before. I guess the idea would be like you have an FX track kind of like any other, but instead of sending from other tracks to that track, you use gmem to send them to items on the track such that you only hear the tracks through the Fx when there are items on the FX track. It’d be like automation but maybe easier in some circumstances or something.
Old 10-16-2021, 04:50 PM   #9
MonkeyBars

Quote:
you use gmem to send them to items on the track such that you only hear the tracks through the Fx when there are items on the FX track. It’d be like automation but maybe easier in some circumstances or something.
Seems more complicated that automation to me... although I think you can't offline fx with automation so the FX Items method could save CPU
Old 10-16-2021, 05:16 PM   #10
ashcat_lt

Yeah like it’s nothing I’d ever bother with, but when people ask “how”, I try to help before asking “why”, and you mentioned receiving to items, so I figured I’d put it out there.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:21 PM   #11
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Yeah like it’s nothing I’d ever bother with, but when people ask “how”, I try to help before asking “why”, and you mentioned receiving to items, so I figured I’d put it out there.
Thanks so much! Yeah I think I can use those plugins for sure. In my case I wasn't using aux effects – I just wanted to sidechain compression on one item from an item on another track, and you can't receive (ch 3-4) on the compressed item.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:40 PM   #12
nicholas
Scribe

Use the JS Channel Mapper for this. You don't need to place any FX in the item.

Insert channel mapper into the item's FX chain. Add extra channels to the track (e.g.5/6)

Send out from the track routing window from (say) 5/6 to 1/2 on a new track.

That will do it.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote