Old 10-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings
 
Edgemeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: ASU`ogacihC
Posts: 2,000
Default v5.984+dev1015 - October 15 2019

v5.984+dev1015 - October 15 2019
+ API: improve handling when inserting MIDI notes out of order
+ Actions: improve performance of various selected-track mute/solo actions [t=225636]
+ Media import: support adjusting media based on tempo suggested by filename
+ Media items: support calculating playback rate from user-supplied tempo or length in beats
+ Media: support embedded Apple Loops tempo information when importing .aiff files
+ Mouse modifiers: add separate modifier to set new MIDI note velocity
# Layouts: show DPI translation information on layout names
# MIDI editor: fix CC events being drawn in the wrong channel [p=2190375]
# MIDI editor: fix mouse hit testing in bank/program select lane
# MIDI editor: show appropriate event properties dialog when double-clicking text, sysex, bank/program, or notation events
# Mouse modifiers: add separate behaviors for eraser in velocity lane: delete note, reset velocity, or set new default velocity

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases


Other Pre-Release Additions,
+ API: add MIDI_GetCCShape, MIDI_SetCCShape
+ API: add reduce_open_files() utility function for users running up against open file handle limitations
+ API: add support for CC shapes to MIDI_Get(Set)AllEvts
+ ASIO: permit buffer sizes that are not a power of 2 if the device does not very specifically request otherwise [t=200746]
+ Automation items: remove preference to attach automation items to the underlying envelope (superseded by per-automation-item transition time setting)
+ Defaults: enable Live FX multiprocessing
+ Defaults: enable track record monitoring on new tracks
+ Dynamic split: add preset support
+ Dynamic split: improve gate handling
+ Dynamic split: overhaul of algorithm
+ Dynamic split: retain settings after canceling the window
+ Envelopes: add action to attach automation items to underlying envelope
+ Fade editor: fixed an obscure possible bug
+ FX chain: add preference to display FX list on right side of chain window
+ FX chain: option to put add/delete buttons above list
+ FX: allow embed of some plug-in UIs into TCP (done via action or FX menus)
+ FX: embed support for ReaEQ, ReaXComp, ReaComp, ReaSurround, and graphical JSFX
+ JSFX/ReaScript: fix gfx_showmenu() coordinates on macOS retina displays
+ Keyboard: add "Main (override all contexts including text fields)" section which allows global keyboard overrides
+ macOS: add (default) option to retina-render themed elements on old themes (sharper text)
+ macOS: add prefs/general/advanced options to disable retina support
+ macOS: added "force layer" drawing mode in preferences/general/advanced
+ macOS: optimize drawing speed on newer macOS versions/retina displays (when in automatic mode in preferences/general/advanced)
+ macOS: retina display improvements (retina display of arrange, ruler, MIDI editor, etc)
+ macOS: use Metal display output on 10.11+ for various windows
+ macOS: windows without defined main menu inherit the main menu from their owners
+ macOS: workaround appearance issues when user forces dark mode rendering for app (requires Metal to be enabled) [t=222366]
+ Main window: allow positioning TCP on right side of arrange
+ Menus: a very light refresh of the main file/edit/view/insert menus
+ MIDI editor: 14-bit registered parameter/non-registered parameter CC editing
+ MIDI editor: add CC lane mouse modifier to insert a single CC event
+ MIDI editor: add option to display note length in velocity lane
+ MIDI editor: always select the associated note when clicking on velocity stem, regardless of user preference to select CC event on single click
+ MIDI editor: combine note properties and event properties into one modeless dialog
+ MIDI editor: display CC events as square envelopes rather than bars
+ MIDI editor: draw CC/velocity as dots and lines rather than bars
+ MIDI editor: fix incorrect CC event drawing when coloring notes by velocity
+ MIDI editor: improve hidpi/retina drawing
+ MIDI editor: in note velocity lane, mouse edits that would erase CCs will reset velocity to default
+ MIDI editor: repopulate raw MIDI display window when switching active media item
+ MIDI editor: respect CC drawing density preference
+ MIDI editor: set new default note velocity when editing in velocity lane
+ MIDI: support linear and curve CC envelopes
+ Misc: fixed a few minor memory leaks
+ Modal windows: remember window positions (configurable option in preferences/general/advanced to tweak behavior)
+ Mouse modifiers: add double-click behaviors to reset CC value, curvature, edit properties
+ Multiprocessing: auto-detect up to 128 threads
+ Multiprocessing: increase anticipative FX hard limit to 128 threads, live FX hard limit to 64 threads
+ Multiprocessing: remove old 4.x scheduler mode
+ Multiprocessing: remove old option to not use native synchronization events
+ Notation editor: add multi-tremolo support
+ Peaks: option to fully-read peaks files under a certain size (to reduce open file count)
+ Performance meter: improve win32 hidpi drawing
+ Performance: improve track panel UI behavior with large track counts
+ Preferences: add option in disk settings to periodically close excess open files
+ ReaFIR: add context menu mode configuration
+ ReaScript: add support for setting track playback offset value and attributes
+ Render: support rendering only selected regions in an existing region render matrix [t=193405]
+ Resampler: Added SSE2-optimized sinc calculation (from Theo Niessink)
+ Resampling: optimize and improve quality of resampling at whole ratios and for common rates
+ Sliders: improve ReaPlugs/UI slider appearance on hidpi and linux
+ Splash screen: improve win32 HiDPI
+ Toolbars: improve hidpi/retina sizing (including editor and icon picker)
+ Track wiring diagram view
+ Track: add action to bypass track playback offset
+ Track: add user preference for max MIDI playback speed to catch up to negative track playback offset (ensures all notes are played, though they will be sped up of course)
+ Tracks: complete overhaul of track/mixer panels for performance
+ Tracks: support positive or negative playback time offset without affecting PDC
+ UI scaling: apply advanced preference scaling changes immediately
+ UI scaling: fix theme rendering bugs when using custom scaling
+ WALTER: add additional 8 font slots
+ Wet/dry knobs: improve drawing at different DPI settings
+ Wet/dry knobs: macOS retina support
+ Windows: HiDPI display improvements (auto-rescale more UI when running HiDPI aware)
+ Windows: improve appearance of various ReaPlugs when resizing
+ Windows: improve appearance of various windows during resize
+ Windows: improve docker appearance during resize
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,921
Default

You guys are insane(ly fast)! Thanks so much. I can't say enough how much I love the Reaper community!

EDIT: OMG, just the velocity modifiers, too. Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! Thanks so much!!!
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...

Last edited by _Stevie_; 10-15-2019 at 11:33 AM.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
Thonex
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,263
Default

You guys are AMAZING!!!

Wow.... just wow!

Now... since I see you are in MIDI Editor mouse modifier mode (and since no good deed goes unpunished ) might you guys please address this issue?

Bug: Mouse Modifier Marquee Bug in MIDI Editor

I included a video on the thread linked above too.

In short... when you open multiple items in the MIDI Editor and try to left-click/drag marquee notes outside of the focused item, the mouse will not allow it. No matter how you have the prefs set. Secondary items editable etc., all options tried. Please... before you say I don't have the mouse modifiers set correctly, this was verified by other as well... not just me.

Thanks
__________________
Cheers,
Andrew K
v6.03+dev0114 - January 14 2020 • Mac 10.12.+ • i7 Quad 2.9GHz • 24GB
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,921
Default

Concuring what Thonex mentioned!

And....found a small bug regarding erase velocity (notes).
Erasing from left works as expected, but starting from right
looks like triggering a wrong erase offset or something?

https://nextcloud.stephanroemer.net/...2PX6m6GCSYZZDN
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...

Last edited by _Stevie_; 10-15-2019 at 11:33 AM.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 24,300
Default

^^^^ I can't get that happening. Erasing from the right seems to work here.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #6
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,921
Default

Duh, let me see what this could be...
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 24,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
v5.984+dev1015 - October 15 2019+ Media: support embedded Apple Loops tempo information when importing .aiff files
Any chance to support slices in the same way you have it for REX? Ditto ACID WAV, they can have slices as well...
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #8
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,921
Default

Have you tried with long chords? Because that's where it happens most obviously. It doesn't happen with short notes.
And I just noticed, that this also happens when starting from the left.
To me it seems like there is a grid activated. Everything that lies in between 1/1 will be erased, even if the mouse cursor is farer away.
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:58 PM   #9
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 24,300
Default

Aha, I see it now. It does happen with longer notes. Seems somehow related to note lengths and if they overlap between successive notes (maybe triggered by handles on velocity bars?).
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #10
Reflected
Human being with feelings
 
Reflected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,385
Default

Yesssssss!!!
Thank you sooooo very much for the Mouse modifiers & midi love!


few things come to mind when tested:
Quote:
+ Mouse modifiers: add separate modifier to set new MIDI note velocity
- is this the "MIDI editor" context ? if so, maybe rename to "MIDI note velocity" ?

- Also, currently there is only "right drag" option for this context.

- More actions for this like "linear ramp" and user actions list will be very useful.

Quote:
Erase CC events (set new default velocity)
such a powerful behaviour! thank you so muchhhh Loving it!

since we have this wonderful "set new default" action I think that the below action "reset vel to default" should act differently

Quote:
Erase CC events (reset velocity to default)
I think that this action should be reset to a fixed velocity. the same default velocity that the first added midi note receive when you first open reaper and add a note. (of course that it will be more welcome if the user could set the default by himself.)
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #11
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Aha, I see it now. It does happen with longer notes. Seems somehow related to note lengths and if they overlap between successive notes (maybe triggered by handles on velocity bars?).
Yes, that sounds plausible. It takes the velocity handles as a indication for deleting a note.
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #12
Reflected
Human being with feelings
 
Reflected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,385
Default

Quote:
# Mouse modifiers: add separate behaviors for eraser in velocity lane: delete note, reset velocity, or set new default velocity
for all of these, there should be an option to respect notes selection. so it will not effect velocities that are not selected.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:27 PM   #13
Joe90
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 732
Default

Awesome work as always! However - regarding the fix of the staggered mute/solo action -

+ Actions: improve performance of various selected-track mute/solo actions [t=225636]

This has made no difference for me - I'm the one who reported the original issue and sent over the test project.

I've actually found a workaround for the staggered mute action - I've swapped the problem action (no.6) for action no.40280 - 'Track: Mute/unmute tracks', which seems to do the exact same thing but without the staggering issue - so that's great.

Unfortunately I haven't found an equivalent command that works smoothly for soloing, so the staggering on multiple track soloing in projects with deep routing and FX (using action no.7 for the solo) is still an issue for me.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks for your hard work!
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #14
Reflected
Human being with feelings
 
Reflected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Concuring what Thonex mentioned!

And....found a small bug regarding erase velocity (notes).
Erasing from left works as expected, but starting from right
looks like triggering a wrong erase offset or something?

https://nextcloud.stephanroemer.net/...2PX6m6GCSYZZDN
same here.
when using "erase notes (reset velocity to default), it triggers velocities from the Left side and from the Right according to their note length unproportionally.

it happens because there is no proportion for editing velocities for notes.

when dragging for editing or erase velocity it should work with "imaginative line" which will edit only the notes that the imaginative line was close its vertical velocity in rational proportion according the nearest notes velocities lines from left and from the right.



ps - when the notes are really close to each other, like 1 cm, it will be best if there will be an equal dividation proportion between left and right velocity line editing when dragging
|..*..|..*..|..*..|..*..|..*..

| = velocity
. = grid space
* = the imaginative middle point between the left and right velocities when notes are really close to each other (1 cm) , there it should decide which velocity to edit, a bit to the left it will edit the left, a bit to the right it will edit the right.



No proportions example gif:

Last edited by Reflected; 10-15-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #15
Reflected
Human being with feelings
 
Reflected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,385
Default

When trying to edit a velocity by a click to set the specific velocity to specific level, instead of editing the velocity it moves the edit cursor.


please make it optional to set single velocity by click near the [selected] velocity without moving the cursor and without the need of dragging from the mouse modifiers

this is how it works currently: (ouchy)
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #16
deeb
Human being with feelings
 
deeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,961
Default

I agree reflected. Plus the request I did in discussion thread. Better and faster control and precision and fun is very welcome.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #17
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
This has made no difference for me - I'm the one who reported the original issue and sent over the test project.
I can confirm this behavior. However, I haven't noticed it at once, since I'm using different mute/solo actions. The issue definitely happens with "Track: Toggle solo for selected tracks" and "Track: Toggle mute for selected tracks".

@devs, I could be totally wrong, but to me it looks like REAPER is updating the GUI on every solo/mute cycle. Is this the culprit maybe?

In any case, there is something different with the actions I'm using:
"Track: Solo/unsolo tracks" and "Track: Mute/unmute tracks".

They work perfectly, for whatever reason.
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #18
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
for all of these, there should be an option to respect notes selection. so it will not effect velocities that are not selected.
Whereas I'm a huge fan of selection based behavior (e.g. no selection = affects all events, selection = only selected events are affected) I don't think this behavior fits here. Not for the eraser at least. If I want to delete selected notes, I just hit the DEL key. I wouldn't regard the eraser tool as a surgical tool. It's more for catching a broad spectrum of events and deleting them in one go (I'm only talking about the velocity lane here!). However, I can see this behaviour could be useful for "reset velocity".
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:00 PM   #19
Reflected
Human being with feelings
 
Reflected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I can see this (respect selection) behaviour could be useful for "reset velocity".
yes it is very useful and more important keep a consistent workflow.
just like the current "linear ramp" tool effects only selected notes.

as said, it should be an option.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:03 PM   #20
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 24,300
Default

Current ones should be renamed as ones that are ignoring selection, then new modifiers should be introduced that only work on selected events. However the current modifiers are consistent with how eraser works in piano roll (they ignore selection too).

Linear ramp modifier exists in ignore selection and regular variant.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:15 AM   #21
Reflected
Human being with feelings
 
Reflected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,385
Default

honestly i don't even understand why would someone need to delete notes from the velocity lane.

some notes are sitting on the same grid. if i want to delete a note, i will simply delete it with right click in the piano roll without touching notes on the same grid, why would i want to do it from the velocity.

this is very destructive and should not be default imo.
in 100% of the daws i used it doesn't work like this and this can simply ruin the first impression for newcomers.

anyway, as i see it, every behaviour for velocity editing have 2 options ignore / respect notes selection.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:27 AM   #22
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 24,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
honestly i don't even understand why would someone need to delete notes from the velocity lane.
Because not everyone works the same way you do?
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:54 AM   #23
Thonex
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
honestly i don't even understand why would someone need to delete notes from the velocity lane.
Very handy when you have a bunch of MIDI items open and you want to grab a bunch of notes that may be at different octaves and off the "page". Velocities are always visible.... not always true with pitches.
__________________
Cheers,
Andrew K
v6.03+dev0114 - January 14 2020 • Mac 10.12.+ • i7 Quad 2.9GHz • 24GB
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:07 AM   #24
Reflected
Human being with feelings
 
Reflected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,385
Default

I always like to learn different kind of workflows and see if I can earn from it to my own workflow. you welcome to share..

Anyway, I support and maybe I will even want to have the option to delete notes from velocity, but this should not be default if our devs want to catch newcomers that come from other daws that don't like to mess with tons of configuration before they start to make music in a simple way.

since we have the option to change it I don't really care what will be the default, but as I see it, the default should be reset to a fixed value in order to be more friendly to newcomers.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:13 AM   #25
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 24,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
if our devs want to catch newcomers that come from other daws that don't like to mess with tons of configuration before they start to make music in a simple way.
This is Reaper. Tons of configuration is its modus operandi.

I think the current behavior is fine as default.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:22 AM   #26
dupont
Human being with feelings
 
dupont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: France
Posts: 828
Default

I noticed this bug : when selecting an icon shortcut for default CC lane shape, the icon stay hightlited even if another one is seleted.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zc...A147qoAn6ci_Jl
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:19 AM   #27
deeb
Human being with feelings
 
deeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
anyway, as i see it, every behaviour for velocity editing have 2 options ignore / respect notes selection.
Yes (no need to be option imo), if any selection apply to selection, otherwise apply to all
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:28 AM   #28
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 24,300
Default

No, there should be options, because of different workflows.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:03 AM   #29
deeb
Human being with feelings
 
deeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,961
Default

It's fine with me if it is optional.
Just don't pray that your workflow is "the workflow" and others don't make sense.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:10 AM   #30
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
It's fine with me if it is optional.
Just don't pray that your workflow is "the workflow" and others don't make sense.
I have to agree here. Be open / tolerant to other people’s workflow.
REAPER definitely is, otherwise the devs wouldn’t take care so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
Anyway, I support and maybe I will even want to have the option to delete notes from velocity, but this should not be default if our devs want to catch newcomers that come from other daws that don't like to mess with tons of configuration before they start to make music in a simple way.

since we have the option to change it I don't really care what will be the default, but as I see it, the default should be reset to a fixed value in order to be more friendly to newcomers.
You make a bold assumption, that newcomers will always expect eraser tool = reset velocity.
Whereas this is definitely not true for Cubase. In fact Fruity Loops seems to be the only DAW that is doing so.
I can understand that this is based on your personal experience. But I don’t think this is true for all users.
In orchestral music for example, resetting the velocity wouldn’t make sense at all. Because every sample triggers different velocity layers. And this highly depends on the sample library developer and how they put the instrument together. So, a velocity of 100 might sound great on one instrument but it doesn’t on many others. Further more, in pretty much every acoustic based music I would avoid at all costs to reset the velocity of many adjacent notes to the same value, because this just sounds lifeless. As this will never happen, when you record a life performance.

TL;DR: I agree with EvilDragon to keep the default as it is. REAPER is all about customization and everyone can forge their own workflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Current ones should be renamed as ones that are ignoring selection, then new modifiers should be introduced that only work on selected events. However the current modifiers are consistent with how eraser works in piano roll (they ignore selection too).

Linear ramp modifier exists in ignore selection and regular variant.
I also agree with this.
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...

Last edited by _Stevie_; 10-16-2019 at 06:22 AM.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:56 AM   #31
deeb
Human being with feelings
 
deeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post

In orchestral music for example, resetting the velocity wouldn’t make sense at all. Because every sample triggers different velocity layers. And this highly depends on the sample library developer and how they put the instrument together. So, a velocity of 100 might sound great on one instrument but it doesn’t on many others. Further more, in pretty much every acoustic based music I would avoid at all costs to reset the velocity of many adjacent notes to the same value, because this just sounds lifeless. As this will never happen, when you record a life performance.
but that is the exception, because anyone playing with samplers and synths (not orchestral libs) expect that reseting the velocity will be simply a louder voice.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:00 AM   #32
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,921
Default

No, this is true for all acoustic instruments, not only orchestral music.
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:03 AM   #33
deeb
Human being with feelings
 
deeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
No, this is true for all acoustic instruments, not only orchestral music.
whatever , .. external libs
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:11 AM   #34
Edison
Human being with feelings
 
Edison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Brazil
Posts: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I have to agree here. Be open / tolerant to other people’s workflow.
REAPER definitely is, otherwise the devs wouldn’t take care so much.



You make a bold assumption, that newcomers will always expect eraser tool = reset velocity.
Whereas this is definitely not true for Cubase. In fact Fruity Loops seems to be the only DAW that is doing so.
I can understand that this is based on your personal experience. But I don’t think this is true for all users.
In orchestral music for example, resetting the velocity wouldn’t make sense at all. Because every sample triggers different velocity layers. And this highly depends on the sample library developer and how they put the instrument together. So, a velocity of 100 might sound great on one instrument but it doesn’t on many others. Further more, in pretty much every acoustic based music I would avoid at all costs to reset the velocity of many adjacent notes to the same value, because this just sounds lifeless. As this will never happen, when you record a life performance.

TL;DR: I agree with EvilDragon to keep the default as it is. REAPER is all about customization and everyone can forge their own workflow.



I also agree with this.
Hi, _Stevie_

Congratulations on your explanations. We learned a lot from them. We noticed the Devs constant concern to improve the REAPER every day, and the way they accept the suggestions!
__________________
REAPER, em constante evolução!
Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:16 AM   #35
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,921
Default

Yes, a huge thanks goes out to the devs again for their willingness to listen to the users and implement new stuff, especially at this speed. Thanks so much, this is pretty much exceptional!
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #36
StalwartHipster
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Wow, these UI improvements for macOS are lit. Thank you so much!
StalwartHipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:55 AM   #37
mccrabney
Human being with feelings
 
mccrabney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Janus, Kentucky
Posts: 2,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
but that is the exception, because anyone playing with samplers and synths (not orchestral libs) expect that reseting the velocity will be simply a louder voice.
this would be perpetuating user ignorance, because velocity does not equal volume.
__________________
FR: option: move AI only when selected, like normal items
** the bugs that bite the hardest - one crustacean's compilation**
a curse: you now always count how many mousewheel scrolls you make while zooming in MX
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:25 AM   #38
Klangfarben
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
but that is the exception, because anyone playing with samplers and synths (not orchestral libs) expect that reseting the velocity will be simply a louder voice.
You know, like many others here I've been doing this a long time. And this is simply not true.

But more importantly than that, I think this thread and the responses here are devolving into how most other DAW forums function. Where everyone just bashes each other and argues about how things are "supposed" to work.

If you have a different opinion or disagree then make a reasoned argument. Not this "well everyone does it this way" bs. That doesn't apply to Reaper or here in the forum. You want something different? Make a reasoned, structured argument laying out your points like Stevie and Thonex do and try to win us over. If enough people agree, chances are the developers will look into it.

But knock off this "everyone works this way" crap. If I want blow hard opinions I'll just browse the Steinberg forum

And I agree with ED. I think the default options are fine as they are.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #39
deeb
Human being with feelings
 
deeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
You know, like many others here I've been doing this a long time. And this is simply not true.

But more importantly than that, I think this thread and the responses here are devolving into how most other DAW forums function. Where everyone just bashes each other and argues about how things are "supposed" to work.

If you have a different opinion or disagree then make a reasoned argument. Not this "well everyone does it this way" bs. That doesn't apply to Reaper or here in the forum. You want something different? Make a reasoned, structured argument laying out your points like Stevie and Thonex do and try to win us over. If enough people agree, chances are the developers will look into it.

But knock off this "everyone works this way" crap. If I want blow hard opinions I'll just browse the Steinberg forum

And I agree with ED. I think the default options are fine as they are.
You just did no points and arguments in your comment, and is exactly what your pointing /accusing that I am doing.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #40
deeb
Human being with feelings
 
deeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
this would be perpetuating user ignorance, because velocity does not equal volume.
In samplers and synths is most of the time. No? Usually velocity is hardwired with volume by default.


First Google result: A measure of how rapidly and forcefully a key on a keyboard is pressed when the player initially presses the key. Velocity measurement is intended to simulate the behavior of a piano mechanism; a note struck on a piano is louder if the key is struck more forcefully.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.