Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-21-2006, 05:25 AM   #1
filcro
Human being with feelings

Default Midi - Unwanted Piano Sound on Playback and Record

Hi guys

I'm new to Reaper (and relatively new to midi) and I'm a little puzzled, so I hope you can help and don't mind answering what could be a stupid question!

I'm using an E-Mu Xboard49 midi keyboard and I'm recording with Reaper (via USB rather than a midi cable).

When I play the keyboard into Reaper using various single VST instruments I hear the VSTi sound, but also a piano sound with each instrument (even though there are no piano VSTis listed in the chain).

If I de-select all instruments or disarm recording within Reaper there's no audible midi output at all, so both the VSTi and piano sound disappear.

This happens while I record into Reaper or playback the recorded piece.

I can't see where this 'piano' instrument might be located, so I can't switch it off and I have a feeling that I've missed something obvious (or a post on this forum) that might explain, but I'd be extremely grateful for any help. Apologies if I'm re-starting an age-old question!

Thanks!

Phil
filcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:23 AM   #2
tommyc

I think 'piano' is the default General Midi (GM) sound. It could be comming from the default soundcard in your computer.

Try looking at the audio settings under Control Pannels and the Emu drivers, and check input, output, and playback options.

Last edited by tommyc; 12-28-2006 at 05:27 AM.
tommyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
d_swordfish

I also have this problem. I'd really appreciate it if you could walk through exactly what I need to do to fix this.

Thanks

David.
d_swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
brainwreck

open reaper and look in options > preferences > audio > midi devices > midi outputs to make available. look for the gm synth which is probably called something like 'wavetable synth'. right click it and choose disable.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote