Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
snatchman
Human being with feelings

Default Midi info being shown while tracking...?

Hello.Question if I may: When using VSTi plugs native or 3rd party, when I track in Reaper, shouldn't I see the midi info as it's being tracked and not just see it after it's been recorded..?
snatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
snatchman

Old 06-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #3
ivansc

If you can see a red line jumping up and down to one side of the MIDI track`s meter, that indicates that you have MIDI data being entered into the track as you play. Does tht help?
Old 06-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #4
SonicAxiom

there's a MIDI monitoring plugin in the PizMIDI plugin collection which you may put into the input fx section to analyze incoming MIDI data:

https://code.google.com/archive/p/pizmidi/downloads

Old 06-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
If you can see a red line jumping up and down to one side of the MIDI track`s meter, that indicates that you have MIDI data being entered into the track as you play. Does tht help?
Hello..I can see the red meter jumping up and down but I see no midi info being recorded on the track in real time. Only afterwards on playback..
Old 06-19-2019, 01:37 AM   #6
ivansc

Mind if I ask WHY you want to see it while you are playing it in?
Unless of course you are talking about when you are in step mode. Never used that to be honest.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:23 AM   #7
lunker

I think (?) that @snatchman is talking about MIDI item(s) in the TCP.

On occasion I have run into what I think the OP is describing. I start recording MIDI, and the new MIDI item in the TCP is blank (no little dots for notes and CC events). I start to freak out and say "Why isn't it recording the MIDI???" Then after I press stop, the dots for notes and CC events suddenly show up in the just-recorded TCP MIDI item.

It only happens rarely, and I can't remember how I resolve it (did I forget to turn on input monitoring? something else?) It seems like that problem mostly happened when I was a new Reaper user, because I don't recall having that problem in years -- but I do remember it happening. I would test a few things to see how to create the problem, but I'm not at my Reaper PC right now

If it is done correctly, you definitely should see the MIDI notes/CC in the TCP MIDI item as you are recording them.

Question for @snatchman : Does this always happen? Or do you sometimes see the MIDI notes being recorded, and sometimes not? If you sometimes see them being recorded, try to see what is different about the two situations. Are all the record/monitoring options the same? Any differences in routing? etc. What happens if you take the VSTi off the track? (Or perhaps just disable it?) Do the MIDI notes show up when recording?

Last edited by lunker; 06-19-2019 at 08:02 AM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #8
hopi

I don't care why... I do see it while I'm recording... so you should also

in pref's\Audio\Recording
is /build peaks for recorded files On the fly selected?

I don't know that that is what does it but mine is selected
Old 06-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #9
Tod

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, right click on the Arm button and select.

Record: MIDI overdub/replace > Record: MIDI overdub

You have to be in the midi editor to make it affective.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #10
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Mind if I ask WHY you want to see it while you are playing it in?
Unless of course you are talking about when you are in step mode. Never used that to be honest.
Well, so that when I'm recording a take, I can be sure I'm actually recording something and not playing that " perfect track" for nothing.....All I see is an empty track as it records..Same when you record audio, you'd expect to see the waves form as it's being recorded..( unless, you are in a situation where you are not the engineer,only the artist..)..Thanks....
Old 06-19-2019, 09:23 PM   #11
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post

On occasion I have run into what I think the OP is describing. I start recording MIDI, and the new MIDI item in the TCP is blank (no little dots for notes and CC events). I start to freak out and say "Why isn't it recording the MIDI???" Then after I press stop, the dots for notes and CC events suddenly show up in the just-recorded TCP MIDI item.

It only happens rarely, and I can't remember how I resolve it (did I forget to turn on input monitoring? something else?) It seems like that problem mostly happened when I was a new Reaper user, because I don't recall having that problem in years -- but I do remember it happening. I would test a few things to see how to create the problem, but I'm not at my Reaper PC right now

If it is done correctly, you definitely should see the MIDI notes/CC in the TCP MIDI item as you are recording them.

Question for @snatchman : Does this always happen? Or do you sometimes see the MIDI notes being recorded, and sometimes not? If you sometimes see them being recorded, try to see what is different about the two situations. Are all the record/monitoring options the same? Any differences in routing? etc. What happens if you take the VSTi off the track? (Or perhaps just disable it?) Do the MIDI notes show up when recording?
Hello..Always..It's just an empty track in record mode, so until I stop, I don't know if it actually recorded or not until playback..Not real comforting not knowing whether you just missed the best performance of the night..!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #12
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I don't care why... I do see it while I'm recording... so you should also

in pref's\Audio\Recording
is /build peaks for recorded files On the fly selected?

I don't know that that is what does it but mine is selected
Hello..Thanks..I checked and it is checked..Good thought tho.Glad you can see what I'm talking about tho'...
Old 06-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #13
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post

Hello..Thanks..I'm sure it's just something simple like not checking a box or something..I'm not new at using Reaper but I use it basically as a recorder with very few editing. So I'm not well versed in the actual power Reaper offers....( just yet )..
Old 06-19-2019, 11:53 PM   #14
solger

Enabling the Display while recording option at the top of Prefererences > Appearance > Peaks/Waveforms should do the trick.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:51 AM   #15
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchman View Post
Well, so that when I'm recording a take, I can be sure I'm actually recording something and not playing that " perfect track" for nothing.....All I see is an empty track as it records..Same when you record audio, you'd expect to see the waves form as it's being recorded..( unless, you are in a situation where you are not the engineer,only the artist..)..Thanks....
Aha! Makes sense. I am such a crap keyboard player I bang something in and then edit out the klunkers, so I don`t even usually look at the MIDI info within the track till I am done recording it.

And I agree with Solger.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:15 AM   #16
uncleswede

Just in case this provides a clue I do know a specific scenario (pre-roll) which fits your description ....

If I have a time selection from bars 20-30, with record mode set to Time Selection Auto Punch and I start recording MIDI at bar 1 and stop recording at bar 15 (i.e. before the time selection starts), no MIDI notes appear whilst recording but when I press STOP, they appear.

This is all connected to Reaper's 'pre-roll' settings so this might be an area for you to investigate...
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:58 AM   #17
hexSPA

Just want to mention that this happened to me yesterday when I was playing around with MIDI overdub options. Never happened before that I can remember. I'm pretty sure I set everything back to normal but it also could be an issue with v5.979.
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:43 AM   #18
sqkychair

I am using auto punch time selection. I dont see anything until I play the first note and then the actual item and notes appear in the tcp.
However, i am too busy to actually watch the notes while playing.
sqkychair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #19
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqkychair View Post
I am using auto punch time selection. I dont see anything until I play the first note and then the actual item and notes appear in the tcp.
However, i am too busy to actually watch the notes while playing.
Yeah, after I see the first couple of notes actually showing up on the track, I then get busy trying to concentrate on the performance..Before I had to be the artist AND the engineer, I could just play and let the engineer worry about waveforms....Thanks..!
Old 06-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #20
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Enabling the Display while recording option at the top of Prefererences > Appearance > Peaks/Waveforms should do the trick.
Hello..I'll give this a try...Thanks...!
Old 06-28-2019, 08:17 AM   #21
hexSPA

Just wanted to add that I just recreated this behavior.

Time selection auto punch was enabled. I was recording outside of the time selection. The MIDI was recorded but didn't appear until after the playback and recording had stopped.
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote