Old 10-19-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
Antonio the carver
Human being with feelings

Default ReaSurround Rotate automation

Hello!

Okay. I really love ReaSurrounds little Rotate knob. It's really useful for easily moving a sound source in 5.1. However, when I want to automate it, I have to create an automation lane for both the X and Y coordinates. Is there a way to automate this in "polar" notation, rather than "cartesian"? I really like to think about the sound source as having an angle in respect to the space's centre (and why not, a radius), and even though it might not be the correct way to think about it, it should technically work, and maybe someone else like me also finds it easier to work that way.

Is there a workaround to automate the sound source's angle like these? How do people here automate the rotation? I guess that I could just arm both the X and Y automations and write it as I'm playing back, old school way, but what can I say, I'm born in the nineties and I'm lazy

I'm not sure if this is a cry for help or feature request, but I wanted to get these thoughts out. Thank you!
Antonio the carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:53 AM   #2
Xenakios

I am using the GRM Tools Spaces panning plugin. (Yeah, I know, it's expensive to get that since it's only available as part of the Spaces bundle or the larger GRM bundles...) ReaSurround just isn't up to these kinds of tasks... ReaSurround is pretty much suitable to only statically place the sounds, automating it is a nightmare to deal with.

Anyway, I suppose feature requests could be formulated for Cockos to enhance ReaSurround's capabilities to match them more with for example the GRM Tools plugin.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
babag

i'd love an explanation of how this works (the rotate knob). when i play with it there seems to be zero graphical feedback. the knob seems capable of endless rotation in either direction and yet nothing in the graphical interface changes and i can't find anything in the myriad lanes that changes either. i was expecting to see something like the input channels chasing around the screen as i turn the rotate knob but nothing. there seems to be little or no documentation of any of this.

for the op: i sometimes have a workflow wherein i place the track in write mode, set the cursor to a desired point, set my knobs, then go to a new point and repeat with a new setting. this writes the multiple lanes together.

thanks,
BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
Antonio the carver

@Xenakios

Yeah, that's a bummer. ReaSurround shows a lot of potential, but the weird automation workflow kills it for me. Maybe I'll take some time to harass the feature requests forum.

@Babag
That's smart as hell. I'll have to try that next time I'm in the studio. Thanks!
And regarding the Rotate knob, my graphical interface behaves exactly the way you're describing how you would expect it to behave. You should see your input channel circles rotate around the space.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
babag

(facepalm) select input channel in the gui by clicking it before using rotate knob. doh! thanks antonio. that got me to figure it out finally.

BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #6
audio2u

Antonio,
As a photographer as well as an audio engineer, I have a Wacom tablet for editing photos in PS and LR.
It also happens to make a great joystick for surround panning (if you have one)!
Just a thought....
Old 10-21-2015, 01:57 AM   #7
Antonio the carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio2u View Post
Antonio,
As a photographer as well as an audio engineer, I have a Wacom tablet for editing photos in PS and LR.
It also happens to make a great joystick for surround panning (if you have one)!
Just a thought....
You know I just happened to very generously give one away to a friend a while back. Maybe it's time to get my gift back XD Thanks for the tips!