Old 12-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
Mark VH
Human being with feelings

Default Compression to Volume Automation Possible?

Would it be possible to set volume automation points with JS?

Here is what I was imagining. There are some folks, who instead of relying totally on a compressor, automate the heck out of vocal items. Essentially, the automation is doing the dynamics processing. I think it's pretty spiffy, the amount of control automation would give you. But it would be a time-consuming process.

What if we could hit Play and have a JS compressor write automation points (or send fader control which could be recorded) corresponding to it's reaction to the source material? Even if it were imprecise, it would be a big headstart to editing curves by hand.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark VH View Post
What if we could hit Play and have a JS compressor write automation points (or send fader control which could be recorded) corresponding to it's reaction to the source material?
Second option might be possible. Depends on whether slider changes from code can be recorded. Never tried it so I don't know.

If not, I have a feeling that what you're describing could be set up via Reaper's parameter modulation but it'd be a bit fiddly to set up.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
camerondye

Isn't that what the Waves Vocal Rider does (writing automation)?
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Mark VH

Can it write the automation to a lane or an item for mouse editing? That's what I'm getting at.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
IXix

Quote:
Can it write the automation to a lane or an item for mouse editing? That's what I'm getting at.
Not JS. Recording slider movements might be viable though.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
timlloyd

Yes, like the Waves one and and the original Wave Rider. (@camerondye)

They work to some extent, but can take just as long to set up satisfactorily as grabbing a fader and doing it manually It's pretty bloody hard to automate in real-time with a mouse ime though ... so could be a useful JS!

However, it's not simply normal compression. For it to emulate fader riding, it has to be able to respond to signals above a threshold as well as signals below a threshold. And these thresholds may need to change depending on what else is happening musically at a given time.
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
camerondye

I don't own it but I think it writes automation to it's own volume fader in Reaper. I imagine you could copy the automation from that into the normal Reaper volume one and lost the plugin though.

Also, If you have VST3 support you can actually sidechain in the music to Vocal Rider and it takes that into account while doing the fades also but that doesn't work in Reaper though. People have mixed reviews on this plugin but it's only $95 at littlefishaudio right now so it's not that big of an investment.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
Mark VH

But let's imagine the most basic form of this idea, for example a limiter. In the last lines of the code, instead of the limiter reducing the sample by X amount, we could send data somewhere, like maybe a text file in order to paste it into the project.

For the first time, I looked at an RPP with notepad. I set 4 points in an automation lane and it looks like this in the file.

PT 0.000000 1.000000 0
PT 112.000000 1.000000 0 0 1
PT 123.461598 0.628571 0
PT 158.736340 0.628571 0
PT 176.000000 1.000000 0

So I imagine a JS could write the gain reduction amount and the current cursor position to a text file for pasting into the RPP. I know there are onther things to consider, like curves and how to avoid writing a million points and such. But in theory, if a JS can sense play position, it could be done. Right?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
camerondye

I think when there is a static threshold like that you get very static results. I think why the Vocal Rider works is there is a lower threshold to bring it up from and a high threshold to bring it down from and you could set it leaving a controlled amount of dynamics left to compress. People would comment that leaving the dynamics to 0 on the Vocal Rider would deliver terrible results hence the it takes time to set up and it might be better to just get better at Rides.

Last edited by camerondye; 12-02-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
IXix

Quote:
So I imagine a JS could write the gain reduction amount and the current cursor position to a text file for pasting into the RPP. I know there are onther things to consider, like curves and how to avoid writing a million points and such. But in theory, if a JS can sense play position, it could be done. Right?
Nope, can't write text files (or any files for that matter). It'd be great if we could.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
barbaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
I think when there is a static threshold like that you get very static results. I think why the Vocal Rider works is there is a lower threshold to bring it up from and a high threshold to bring it down from and you could set it leaving a controlled amount of dynamics left to compress. People would comment that leaving the dynamics to 0 on the Vocal Rider would deliver terrible results hence the it takes time to set up and it might be better to just get better at Rides.
this is a copy paste from Mercado Negro who outlined a killer way to do this kind of stuff using Reaper parameter modulation

If I need to do that Wave Rider (Vocal Rider) trick I just use the JS effect called "volume_pan".

Ride levels using track's levels:

1) Insert "volume_pan"
2) Move the volume slider a bit and put it back at 0dB
3) Click on the "param" button and choose "Parameter modulation"
4) Now tick "Audio control signal", choose 1+2 as track audio channel, attack at 100ms and release at 300ms or 400ms, choose "negative" as direction and pull the strength slider down to 20" or 25%
5) Now play your track and tweak it

Ride levels using another track's levels (let's say I want to control track 2 levels using track 1 levels):

1) Send track 1 to track 2 via 3/4
2) Insert "volume_pan" in track 2
3) Move the volume slider a bit and put it back at 0dB
4) Click on the "param" button and choose "Parameter modulation"
5) Now tick "Audio control signal", choose 3+4 as track audio channel, attack at 100ms and release at 300ms or 400ms, choose "negative" as direction and pull the strength slider down to 20" or 25%
5) Now play your track and tweak it

My question is if-
one sets up two cases of parameter modulation :

one track the minimum and maximum values are set for a certain range
say -25 db to -12 db and the direction set to negative

the second track the minimum and maximum values are set for -10 db to 0db (I am leaving 2db between the ranges for dynamic range but one can tighten this and tweak it) and the direction is set to positive

this way we would accomplish the same effect as the wave rider/vocal rider?
Or am I misunderstanding something ???
barbaman is offline   Reply With Quote