Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-08-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
lokey
Human being with feelings

Default Make Modifier keys (Ctrl Shift Alt) into Toolbar Buttons

Does anyone know if it is possible to make the modifier keys Ctrl Shift and Alt into custom toolbar buttons that when I click the toolbar button or right click on it, it keeps the key pushed down until I click the toolbar button again?
lokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
Philbo King

Not easily. Maybe with a custom Python script.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:36 PM   #3
Joe90

I know you can make custom toolbar buttons that can be 'armed' by right clicking on them, and stay armed until you click again, and you can also assign this arming action to a keyboard shortcut, so that's very nearly what you're after. I assume you want it to only be active while you're holding down the modifier though, I'm not sure this is possible, but the solution I just mentioned is only one extra click - one to arm, and one to disarm, as opposed to just holding down the one key which is what you're after.

Kenny has a video on creating custom toolbar buttons if you're unclear on that. Once that's done I believe you make a cycle action for arming/unarming it, which I think Jon has a video on.

Bear in mind though that you can assign the mouse modifiers (ctrl/alt/shift) to any action in the preferences menu, so I have alt+click assigned to split, and alt+shift+click assigned to split ignoring snap, so that might be a faster way of achieving what you're after, without using toolbar buttons at all.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
lokey

I have a touchscreen monitor and want to be able to edit on it but need to use ctrl alt shift a lot and dont want to have to use the keyboard and touchscreen together but don't know how to make the custom button so that it holds down the modifier key (ctrl alt or shift) when I push it and then release the modifier button when I push the custom button again. I know how to make custom buttons and how to make them stay active with right click but can't figure out how to make the custom button push a modifier key (ctrl alt shift)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I know you can make custom toolbar buttons that can be 'armed' by right clicking on them, and stay armed until you click again, and you can also assign this arming action to a keyboard shortcut, so that's very nearly what you're after. I assume you want it to only be active while you're holding down the modifier though, I'm not sure this is possible, but the solution I just mentioned is only one extra click - one to arm, and one to disarm, as opposed to just holding down the one key which is what you're after.

Kenny has a video on creating custom toolbar buttons if you're unclear on that. Once that's done I believe you make a cycle action for arming/unarming it, which I think Jon has a video on.

Bear in mind though that you can assign the mouse modifiers (ctrl/alt/shift) to any action in the preferences menu, so I have alt+click assigned to split, and alt+shift+click assigned to split ignoring snap, so that might be a faster way of achieving what you're after, without using toolbar buttons at all.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #5
lokey

Does anyone know how to make a custom python script to make toolbar buttons that will trigger the modifier keys ctrl shift alt? Thanks guys!
Old 11-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #6
Philbo King

I assume you'd have to hook into the Windows operating system code that reads the keyboard and modify what it returns. I don't know; I've been out of programming for quite some time, but I'd think Windows security features would not allow this sort of a hack.