Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 10-11-2019, 05:46 AM   #1
matthewjumpsoffbuildings
Human being with feelings

Default Mono Unbalanced TS/XLR to Stereo Unbalanced TRS?

I have a Behringer HA6000, I would like to feed the aux inputs of each channel with mono signals from my interface.

The issue is the aux inputs of the HA6000 are Stereo TRS unbalanced, but the outputs of my interface are Mono TRS balanced. So currently if I plug a TRS cable from my interface to the HA6000s aux in, i only hear the signal on the left.

I created a frankenstein cable out of a bunch of connectors I had lying around and discovered that if i plug a mono unbalanced TS into my interface, which feeds a splitter which creates 2 unbalanced TS, then combine that back into a stereo unbalanced TRS, it works as I need, the aux input gets the same signal down both left and right. However it took like 4 bits n pieces of connectors/joiners/adapters.

Is there a cable that just does this all? eg one end is a mono TS unbalanced, the other end is a stereo TRS unbalanced, and whatever goes in the mono end comes out the same on both the left and right of the stereo end?

Or can I make a cable to do this? Im not against trying to solder it myself
Old 10-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

You're trying to save interface outputs? Cause I'd probably just use a standard TRS>Dual TS "insert" or "stereo splitter" cable. Use two outputs and just send the same thing to both.

All you really need, though, is a TRS on one end and a TS on the other with the T connected to T AND R and of course S to S. Super simple to hack together if you've got the plugs and cable around. You obviously have to unbalance the interface output one way or another, and while just shorting one phase to ground is pretty rude, it usually doesn't hurt anything. There might be something like 6db loss from throwing away half the signal, and there could be a bit more noise because of the unbalanced run, but for most things it will work just fine.

It seems strange to me that you only hear output on one side when you use straight TRS. If it's actually balanced, you should end up with signal on both sides, just inverted from one another. It would sum to silence, but in most listening environments, it should just have that super wide "inside out" kind of thing happening.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Im considering tryin to solder some cables myself, I was wondering if there was a way to just do a TS to TRS, im fine with a bit of signal loss and the cables will be like 30cm long so not too worried about the noise.

I found this, its almost perfect except the TRS end is 1/8" instead of 1/4", do you reckon they are shorting one phase to ground as you suggested (T > T + R, S > S)?

https://www.storedj.com.au/hosa-cmp-...nect-cable-5ft

Also is there any risk to shorting one phase to ground? Could it damage the outputs on the interface?
Old 10-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

There’s no way of knowing what any off-the-shelf cable is doing without buying it and testing. It really is super simple to solder, though.

Just to be clear, we’re shorting at the interface because on the TS plug, the R of the jack will contact the barrel which also contacts the S of the jack. Some generally very old and/or boutique gear could theoretically be damaged by this, but that’s just poor design and I’ve never had a single issue in over 30 years. You’d be more likely to just hear a little more distortion, but even that is highly unlikely and again ultimately a result of poor design. Basically, I’m not taking responsibility if your shit blows up, but if it was mine, I’d just do it without a second thought.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote