Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 09-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
Rshwin
Human being with feelings

Default routing track to external fx harware via Focusrite 18i20

Hello all,
Have been working on a tune for some time and desperately need to finish it off. To do so I need to add the effects to my lead tracks. I recorded them dry because the first time I recorded them wet I didn't have as great of a control of the effects as I wanted. So I planned on adding them after first getting them down dry. Now I know there is a ton of literature on internally routing tracks through the sends to, in which one would use the "canned" effects that are available via plug-ins. But what I want to do is a simple thing when using old fashioned hardware mixing boards and tape. So it would seem to be something easily done with all the modern recording gear, however it is proving to be a very difficult thing to accomplish. I have a Focusrite Scarlet 18i20, and want to route track 5 in Reaper to the Focusrite's 3rd output, and then using a new track in Reaper, I'd think it possible to simply run a TRS cable out Foucusrite's 3rd output, through my effects pedals and back into Focusrite's 2nd input mapped to that new track in Reaper. However, even though I set the routing of track 5 to hardware output 3, remove it from Master Send, and use a TRS cable into my pedal board, and back into input 2 nothing is being routed to the third output of Focusrite. At least not through the physical output. There appears to be a signal at the 3rd output in Focusrite Control. But there is nothing coming out the actual physical output. Does anybody now how to do this successfully? I have tried setting up the Focusrite Control to every conceivable setting matrix that I can think of still no actual output at its third output. Any suggestions?
Rshwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
Rshwin
Human being with feelings

Default Haha ha ha

Jeeze Louise dunno why but it is working when I set the hardware output for track 5 to output 5, you wouldn't think it mattered being its all connected via software busses and not hard wired.... but I guess it does. Its a dern good thing to know. So in the future in case the problem/question ever arises again, here's the solution. But then again it could just be I have a fried 3rd output circuit or a bad cable, that for some reason is now working. And the fun never ends....
Rshwin is offline   Reply With Quote