Old 12-23-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
plamuk
Human being with feelings

Default conceptual JS beatboxing midi controller discussion

ok, as i've described i am not at all proficient at JS coding, but i've followed Jonas Eriksson's drum reaplacer excitedly because it compliments my tools very very nicely.

but today after some coffee i was racing around a garden store buying my pops a new pair of gardening kneepads when i realized that this JS plugin has the potential of doing something i'd thought of years ago.

the idea first came when i saw that Akai released that flute midi controller, w/ ccs controlled by breath. pretty cool. there's also the midi guitar, etc. i liked the idea and started racing to think of other midi controlling devices. first came the idea of Midisense, the do it yourself resistive sensor kit you can build and use to control midi.

however, with J.E's JS drum reaplacer, i thought of something else - the beatbox. making drum sounds with your mouth. conceptually, using some of the same principles of Drum Reaplacer coupled with several tracks with drum-sound-specific Reafir instances, couldn't we turn a single beatbox into a true drumset in realtime?

initially, i could use instances of Drum Reaplacer for this, but ideally a more beatbox-specific code could be built from a tailored version of Drum Reaplacer.

what are your thoughts?
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Cool idea! And doable (I think). However, DrumReaplacer uses PDC so it won't give good results on live/real-time signals...

Maybe Loser's (or is it Scott's?) 5-band splitter in combination with Scott's Drumtrigger would do the trick? But then it wouldn't be more than one sample per drum... I wrote a velocity splitter some time ago combine that with the 5-band splitter and Drumtrigger and we might be getting close (?).

Just thinking out loud here. (As if that wasn't obvious )

Regards,
- Jonas
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
plamuk

hmm. so, it wouldn't work as a realtime midi controller as it exists now. still would work great for recorded beatboxing, and that's still pretty damn fantastic for studio use.

Quote:
Maybe Loser's (or is it Scott's?) 5-band splitter in combination with Scott's Drumtrigger would do the trick? But then it wouldn't be more than one sample per drum...
still, a great start. i imagine creating a saved track template of your idea, loaded with sampled drum sounds from old-style drum machines which weren't velocity sensitive. those can be fun.

eventually, i'd hope to beatbox and have a live drumset play as a result.

this is something i hope to be able to model (just the audio, not necessarily the video element): https://youtube.com/watch?v=eRlhKaxcKpA

skip ahead if you get bored, to the point where they're actually performing music with it.

damn, this has got a lot of potential, and i love how so much of the work has already been done. very very exciting.

Last edited by plamuk; 12-23-2007 at 01:10 PM.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote