Old 12-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
WELLIFEELALLRIGHT
Human being with feelings

Default Using volume to control automation?

Is there an easy way to use the volume of a track to control various VST parameters?

For example, if I want to play a guitar and, after the attack, make the pitch drift upwards a quarter tone, is there some way to use Reaper to detect when the attack has faded out enough and then feed information to a pitch shift plugin?
WELLIFEELALLRIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
nicholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WELLIFEELALLRIGHT View Post
Is there an easy way to use the volume of a track to control various VST parameters?

For example, if I want to play a guitar and, after the attack, make the pitch drift upwards a quarter tone, is there some way to use Reaper to detect when the attack has faded out enough and then feed information to a pitch shift plugin?
Parameter modulation could be your friend here, though this precise application might be a bit tricky.

You could try experimenting. If nothing else, you'll learn a lot, have some fun, and develop heaps of other ideas.

There's a whole chapter on PM in the User Guide, some light bed time reading for you. Look especially for the section "Controlling an FX parameter on the same track."

P.S. First post I see ... welcome!
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
WELLIFEELALLRIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Parameter modulation could be your friend here, though this precise application might be a bit tricky.

You could try experimenting. If nothing else, you'll learn a lot, have some fun, and develop heaps of other ideas.

There's a whole chapter on PM in the User Guide, some light bed time reading for you. Look especially for the section "Controlling an FX parameter on the same track."
Much appreciated. This is basically what I was looking for. Another way I came across could be this piece of freeware: http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products...ct_DPeakMeter/. It seems to be quicker in some aspects but not as powerful overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
P.S. First post I see ... welcome!
Thanks!
WELLIFEELALLRIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
nicholas

PeakMeter is a cool little tool, but I think you'll hit its limitations soon enough.

It works by creating an automation envelope and using that directly on other tracks. I think you'll find that the relationship isn't maintained in real time - change the volume on the source track, and you need to create a new envelope. Also it doesn't give you anything like the degree of control ... strength, attack, release, etc.

Anyhow, good luck with all this!
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote